Are Pride vs UFC Threads Allowed?

youngsteinel

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So which organization do you/did you enjoy watching more, UFC or Pride?

For me, I enjoyed UFC more simply because of the time difference. Pride fights started really late and ended in the morning so it was tough to catch. Pride did have some great fights though. I must say in Pride there was a sense that these guys were almost like superheroes. A far cry from the McGregor era of today, which has a more WWE feel (if that makes any sense).

Who's side are you in this 10+ year old debate? Who had the better fighters? Who had the better entertainment value? Would love to hear from a Sherdogger who attended a Pride event.

Last edited:
For me, I enjoyed UFC more simply because of the time difference. Pride fights started really late and ended in the morning so it was tough to catch.
I don't think anyone actually watched PRIDE live. You'd download a torrent of it the next morning.

As to the topic:
WEC>PRIDE>UFC

And I base that entirely on the excitement of the fights themselves. Nothing else.

I don't think anyone actually watched PRIDE live. You'd download a torrent of it the next morning.

As to the topic:
WEC>PRIDE>UFC

And I base that entirely on the excitement of the fights themselves. Nothing else.

WEC was great. I have a lot of fond memories of watching it. I remember watching the Pettis cage kick with a bunch of friends, which was the last WEC fight ever, and man was that a good time. Great period for MMA.

Not comparable to any of these, but I really enjoyed the first couple Dreams. I thought they had something going there.

Yeah I miss DREAM. Sengoku too. And Strikeforce. At the time remember wanting them to merge with the UFC so all the top guys can fight each other. But now that they're all gone I really miss it.

As to the topic:
WEC>PRIDE>UFC

Casual.

I spent years watching PRIDE events live at ridiculous hours in the early morning on shitty pixelated streams. It was definitely available.

And god do I miss it.

Pride_Logo.jpg

WEC was great. I have a lot of fond memories of watching it. I remember watching the Pettis cage kick with a bunch of friends, which was the last WEC fight ever, and man was that a good time. Great period for MMA.

Not comparable to any of these, but I really enjoyed the first couple Dreams. I thought they had something going there.
Most of the big orgs have had some quality events here and there.

I really loved early Bellator. The tournament style when it came out scratched an itch I didn't realize I had.
Strikeforce for a while there was quality with their strong LW, MW, and HW divisions.

Casual.

I spent years watching PRIDE events live at ridiculous hours in the early morning on shitty pixelated streams. It was definitely available.

And god do I miss it.
Fuck that. Wake up and watch some MMA with a coffee. Was almost a ritual for a while.

I don't think anyone actually watched PRIDE live.
it was easy for euro sherdoggers since we'd wake up to it, now we have to stay up the whole night for ufc :mad:

anyway i did enjoy pride the most, the rules made for better fights imo and, even if it's a bit trivial, there was something about the overall sensibility i miss too. pride was better at building up fighters as individuals, the ufc imposes its steel mesh and toughman aesthetic on everyone.

pride had like a sense of reverence for the contest and for martial arts (the freakshows and alleged shadiness behind the scenes notwithstanding)

Last edited:
Most of the big orgs have had some quality events here and there.

I really loved early Bellator. The tournament style when it came out scratched an itch I didn't realize I had.
Strikeforce for a while there was quality with their strong LW, MW, and HW divisions.

Fuck that. Wake up and watch some MMA with a coffee. Was almost a ritual for a while.

I couldn't get with the early Bellator. I would drink and watch it on MTV2 with some friends and it always came back to Prindle. The HW tournament was some ass. That's really all I saw or remember from that time.

Bellator HW was trash. Their BW, FW, and LW divisions were where the quality was at.
Still is really.

Bellator HW was trash. Their BW, FW, and LW divisions were where the quality was at.
Still is really.

Yeah that 135-155 is tough over at Bellator. I don't buy them as a true threat to the UFC though.

As to the topic:
WEC>PRIDE>UFC

Tape delay.

I went to Real Deal in Vegas. That as PRIDE-lite in terms of the rules.

I'd never spend a cent on a UFC event. I flew from Ontario, Canada to Vegas to see PRIDE FC. That says it all.

I loved PRIDE, their formats were better, rules were better, entrances were better, roster was beter.

But that is all opinion, i know.

I loved PRIDE. I guess it was a matter of preference though.

The first time I invited some friends over they hated it. They were big UFC fans and thought PRIDE was a letdown.

I loved it though

Pride rules were much more fan friendly I think I'd trade elbows on the ground for knees and soccer kicks any day.

Yellow card system as scoring was better too.

Personally I like the ring because it stops wall and stall, rope restarts were terrible though, shame dream came up with the perfect cage for MMA and no one ever continued it. White Cage was the future.

Back