Middleweight to Heavyweight the most flexible weight range?

Venom

Lurker since '09
@Silver
Reaction score
Do you think this is the weight range where fighters are most flexible in terms of being able to fight each other without sacrificing a huge amount of physical disparity, save for the most gigantic people like Brock Lesnar or Stefan Struve...

Vitor Belfort, Wanderlei Silva, Fedor Emelianenko, Daniel Cormier, Rashad Evans,....Anthony Johnson, Jon Jones, Luke Rockhold, Chris Weidman...

Pretty much everyone is at the peak average human male size while giving up some weight to one another but also with the larger men being slower.

In short, I could see more than a couple Middleweights beating some Heavyweight.

I am hard pressed to find a Lightweight who could beat a Middleweight.

I'd say that's a fair assessment. Given that a lot of MW's cut from 210+ and are over 6'2".

Yes pretty much, some MWs are not far off from say Randy Couture size (some are taller too) and could easily reach that by bulking up a bit.

Yoel Romero could wreck shit at HW, fighting guys of equal gas tank.

See Yoel is fast and powerful but he is waay too short lolol he'd get wrecked
The GOAT HW is 5'11.5".

Romero is allegedly 6'0" (probably on the Shane Carwin meter).

Maybe some of the smaller HWs. But I couldn't picture Rockhold fighting Cain

Prime Anderson Silva could have been a simultaneous 3 division champ (MW, LHW, HW) if he was given the opportunity.

The GOAT HW is 5'11.5".

Romero is allegedly 6'0" (probably on the Shane Carwin meter).

hmm...good point.

Romero could beat some of the smaller guys in wrestling I believe.

Cormier vs. Weidman
Rockhold vs. Jones
OR
Velasquez vs. Jones

Prime Anderson Silva could have been a simultaneous 3 division champ (MW, LHW, HW) if he was given the opportunity.
Lmfao! Dude what? If given the opportunity? Anderson wanted no part of heavyweight and hand picked guys like Irvin and forest at 205, he would never fight a chuck or rampage for 205 gold.

It is and it all has to do with Lean Body Mass, and max lean body mass range. Humans are not 'designed' or evolutionary meant to have tons and tons of muscle mass or tons and tons of fat. This below chart is a pretty good universal indicator (for males) based on 6% body fat and what a 'natural' lifter could accomplish. MMA isn't bodybuilding but Lean Body Mass, and 'muscle mass' is the same everywhere. Muscle mass, and strength is important in MMA and increasingly so. It is why camps have overtime become more grappling/clinch heavy and that often factors in with strength. It is why guys like Rockhold, Jacare, Weidman, Romero etc are so jacked.

That is why below Middleweight (MW) you stop seeing +6'0 fighters. And once you go below WW you basically never see them unless it is a skinny fat guy in a low level organization or a skinny fat like Carlos Condit @Welterweight who does get manhandled quite frequently. Then you have some guys like 6'0 Cerrone who fought at LW and did okay cause he was pretty lean but not the strongest or strong by any means. Cerrone is now better at WW though with a bit more mass. But it worked for Cerrone most of the time since his style was kickboxing and distance striking not clinch or grappling and he managed to evade a lot of that via good footwork.

In any case the science does not lie and neither do the experts of MMA camps and strength and conditioning coaches and nutritionists and guys like Dolce.

how-much-muscle-can-you-gain-naturally-3.jpg

https://www.builtlean.com/2011/03/30/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain-naturally/

@^^6% body fat. Pretty good chart. Brock was clearly above 6% but even at say 15% he was high above a possible normal threshold. I am pro a lot of GNC stuff being used. I think a lot of PED's should be legalized/allowed. I think an acceptable range of testosterone should be allowed and you can't go above that. However, the facts are facts.

FLW, BW, FW, LW, WW tend to be the most jacked/shredded, and conditioned from what I have seen. In any case most WW tend to be in the 5'9-5'11.5' range and be on the max threshold of 'optimal' lean body mass. Most LW tend to be 5'8-5'10.5 and be pretty ripped. Most FW tend to be 5'7- 5'10 with a leaner frame less muscle mass than LW and smaller frames. Or you get some FW like Conor who is really a natural LW (more or less). Then you got BW who are on average what 5'5.5 to 5'7 maybe a max of 5'8? Then FLW who are almost always sub 5'6 and smallest bone size/frame of anyone.

I'd say the difference between FLW and BW is in muscle mass, height and frame size. The difference between FW and BW though seems to be mostly on bone size/frame size. And the difference between LW and WW is a muscle mass difference or in some cases natural frame size.

MW and LHW by comparison seem to be pretty even with LHW being more 'fat' and carrying excess weight. And most LHW's could comfortably fight at 230-240lbs as HW's.

Last edited:
Not really. He's mid range, but still small enough that he could cut for a hypothetical cruiserweight.
There aren't many smaller than Cain (6'1 240ish) these days. Especially taking into account body fat.

There aren't many smaller than Cain (6'1 240ish) these days. Especially taking into account body fat.
True he definitely has bf to spare. I don't consider him small simply because I don't feel like he could make the 205 cut. It's just been a while since we've had an elite heavy in the 220-230 range because they all force themselves to 205.

Back