Does it really matter who the Champion is anymore?

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I am not really try to bash any one fighter, but it does seem like collectively the belts really don't mean jack shit anymore. For a couple reasons I think.

First of all I think the interim stuff is hurting it. Just ridiculousness.

I think in a lot of cases the best fighters in each weight class don't have the belt. Back in the day the best fighter ( or close to the best fighter) in each weight class had the belt. Now I am more interested in individual matchups rather than who is the champ.

And I think the pay issue has something to do with it as well. I know this has been beaten to death but really if you think about if
WMMA- Who gives a shit
FLY- Who gives a shit
Everyone from BW-WW wants to fight Conor. So they can get paid.
MW is pretty much acknowledged that Bisiping is like the 5th best fighter in the division. But hes not fighting anyone noteworthy so nobody is making dick.
LHW- So much fuckery with Jones over the last 2ish years. Hopefully it gets settled at 214
HW- Stipe is the man but they are all old as fuck.

So eh. I don't know if it is even really a big deal tbh. Its just interesting how the mindset is. I remember during the UFC's Golden years 08-12 it was like THE GOAL to be the World champion.

I guess these guys just wanna get paid. Can't blame them, most basically make pennies. Its just interesting

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

Never did, to me. I have trouble understanding how people are more excited to watch Jones vs Cormier than Lawler vs Cowboy.

Nope.

The only incentive to have a belt is the extra money it brings.

You have a guy like Tony Ferguson for example who is on the longest win streak in UFC LW history yet the UFC seems to be actively trying to take him out of the title picture in favour of Khabib.

There's no "best". The champion is the guy that A) beats the guy with the belt or B) the guy that beats the guy trying to beat him for the belt.

Any given Sunday

Seems like most fighters want the belt but want to defend against the easiest opponents possible. Sounds like Khabib, Ferguson and Barboza would all rather Mcgregor be stripped so they don't have to fight him even though they'd get a ton of money. In Tony's case he's demanded more money several times but wants Mcgregor to be stripped... That's the money fight but he knows he can't beat him. Also everybody trying to have superfights with boxers kind of proves they would all jump at the kind of opportunity Mcgregor has gotten. Not a single MMA fighter would turn down a boxing match for $100m dollars.

Seems like most fighters want the belt but want to defend against the easiest opponents possible. Sounds like Khabib, Ferguson and Barboza would all rather Mcgregor be stripped so they don't have to fight him even though they'd get a ton of money. In Tony's case he's demanded more money several times but wants Mcgregor to be stripped... That's the money fight but he knows he can't beat him. Also everybody trying to have superfights with boxers kind of proves they would all jump at the kind of opportunity Mcgregor has gotten. Not a single MMA fighter would turn down a boxing match for $100m dollars.
Shit, I wouldn't turn down a boxing match for $100M, and I'd get murdered by any halfway competent amateur. :)

I am not really try to bash any one fighter, but it does seem like collectively the belts really don't mean jack shit anymore. For a couple reasons I think.

First of all I think the interim stuff is hurting it. Just ridiculousness.

I think in a lot of cases the best fighters in each weight class don't have the belt. Back in the day the best fighter ( or close to the best fighter) in each weight class had the belt. Now I am more interested in individual matchups rather than who is the champ.

And I think the pay issue has something to do with it as well. I know this has been beaten to death but really if you think about if
WMMA- Who gives a shit
FLY- Who gives a shit
Everyone from BW-WW wants to fight Conor. So they can get paid.
MW is pretty much acknowledged that Bisiping is like the 5th best fighter in the division. But hes not fighting anyone noteworthy so nobody is making dick.
LHW- So much fuckery with Jones over the last 2ish years. Hopefully it gets settled at 214
HW- Stipe is the man but they are all old as fuck.

So eh. I don't know if it is even really a big deal tbh. Its just interesting how the mindset is. I remember during the UFC's Golden years 08-12 it was like THE GOAL to be the World champion.

I guess these guys just wanna get paid. Can't blame them, most basically make pennies. Its just interesting

It SHOULD but it doesnt.
The UFC has made it mean nothing now.
Sad really.
The champ should be a big deal...maybe even feared...but the circus thats out now is just sad.

When you get a title shot based on the "stock market" then how can a championship possibly matter?

I have shifted my focus to consecutive wins against legit opponents. All I want to know is (1) How many consecutive wins? (2) What was the record of the opponents? (3) What is the finishing ratio?

Nope.

Zuffa fucked it up

I'm not a mindless zombie ordering PPV just for "championship bout" even if the champ is shitty.

Back