Was Max Holloway the first Polynesian to win a UFC title?

HuskySamoan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I just thought about how Whittaker and Max Holloway are both Polynesian champions at the moment. While Penn was Hawaiian, he was not Polynesian his parents were Irish and Korean. Max has Hawaiian and Samoan roots and was born in Hawaii, if he's the first Polynesian UFC champion why was nothing said on this?

He's also one of the youngest champs, correct? I mean Jones was also in his early 20s when he beat Shogun, and I'm probably missing out on someone like Vitor or BJ in the early 2000s. Help Sherdog!

I just thought about how Whittaker and Max Holloway are both Polynesian champions at the moment. While Penn was Hawaiian, he was not Polynesian his parents were Irish and Korean. Max has Hawaiian and Samoan roots and was born in Hawaii, if he's the first Polynesian UFC champion why was nothing said on this?

if he's Hawaiian, then he's Polynesian. people from Hawaii do not consider themselves Hawaiian just because they grew up there or were born there. you must actually have native Hawaiian blood in order to be considered Hawaiian.

i know that's not how it is in the rest of Ameica, they just think anyone from Hawaii is a Hawaiian but really, that's not true.

his mother apparently has Hawaiian blood, so technically BJ Penn is the 1st one.

I feel what you are saying Uce, and hear what you mean, but shootz, BJ Penn is Polynesian.. It's a culture, not a race of people. Hawaii, is made up many dif nationalities, living the Polynesian way of life. There are many Koreans, Filipinos, Japanese, Portuguese, Brazilian, Samoan, Tongan, Australians, New Zealanders, Guamanians, etc.. That are generations deep from the islands, and call Hawaii, etc.. Home. Shootz, the flag still has the colors of the English. BJ, his family, etc.. Live Aloha, and the Polynesian way, just as Max and his family, Rob, etc.. The way you are thinking is like saying nobody but Native Americans and Mexicans from the Northern region of Mexico, are the only Americans. But like I said, I hear what you mean and wish the UFC, mma media, plus mma fans, pay more attention to Polynesian fighters and athletes from the various Islands.

I feel what you are saying Uce, and hear what you mean, but shootz, BJ Penn is Polynesian.. It's a culture, not a race of people. Hawaii, is made up many dif nationalities, living the Polynesian way of life. There are many Koreans, Filipinos, Japanese, Portuguese, Brazilian, Samoan, Tongan, Australians, New Zealanders, Guamanians, etc.. That are generations deep from the islands, and call Hawaii, etc.. Home. Shootz, the flag still has the colors of the English. BJ, his family, etc.. Live Aloha, and the Polynesian way, just as Max and his family, Rob, etc.. The way you are thinking is like saying nobody but Native Americans and Mexicans from the Northern region of Mexico, are the only Americans. But like I said, I hear what you mean and wish the UFC, mma media, plus mma fans, pay more attention to Polynesian fighters and athletes from the various Islands.

I mean, Polynesians are a direct descendants of Austronesian sailors and Native Hawaiians proudly distinguish themselves apart from all those groups you mentioned.

if he's Hawaiian, then he's Polynesian. people from Hawaii do not consider themselves Hawaiian just because they grew up there or were born there. you must actually have native Hawaiian blood in order to be considered Hawaiian.

i know that's not how it is in the rest of Ameica, they just think anyone from Hawaii is a Hawaiian but really, that's not true.

his mother apparently has Hawaiian blood, so technically BJ Penn is the 1st one.
That always raises my eyebrow when announcers refer to fighters from Hawaii as "Hawaiian" when they're actually not. I think it's just used like "Californian, New Yorker, or Floridian," but the problem, of course, is "Hawaiian" is also an ethnicity.

ufc180_11_werdum_vs_hunt_004.jpg

Mark Hunt was close to being the First Polynesian Heavyweight Champ in UFC.

I never thought of Hawaiians as Polynesians. But I guess they are.

2 Polynesian champs and eternal Rugby Gods of the world

Is Guamanians really a word?

Back