Colby Covington Calls Tyron Woodley a mentally weak diva, talks about their past sparring sessions.

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score

“He’s not my teammate. What are you taking about? He trains at Duke Roufus,” Covington told Submission radio. “He left American Top Team three, four years ago and he’s been training most of his time at Duke Roufus, so I don’t consider that guy a teammate.

“We don’t train together anymore. We used to back in the day,” he said. “Yeah, he’ll come to American Top Team and show face cause he’s trying to keep it cool here. He knows there’s a lot of young up-and-coming studs like me and Jorge (Masvidal) who he does not want to be in that octagon with. So I don’t consider that my teammate. He’s an enemy now. Public enemy number one.”

Covington also questioned Woodley’s heart, and criticized him for not being a “true fighter.”

“He’s just mentally weak, man,” he said. “In the wrestling world he’s mentally weak, he’s a breaker. That’s what we call it. He breaks. Mentally, he’s not there, man. He’s an explosive, athletic athlete, but he’s not a fighter, a true fighter. He’s not a warrior. And it showed in wrestling, you know, it showed in college, it shows in the training room.

“He doesn’t like to go hard, he doesn’t like to grind with the guys cause he can’t do that anymore. He’s older, his body’s breaking down and he doesn’t have a cardio gas tank. That’s why you don’t see him wrestle really in fights anymore.”

He even went further, sharing his version of what happened during their private training sessions, and calling him a “diva.”

“I just remember (our sparring sessions) being easy. I was like, dude, this guy is so pathetic,” he said. “He doesn’t like it tough. He doesn’t like things hard. He doesn’t like relentless pressure on him. When he feels pressure, he breaks. Just sparring with him, you know, all I had to do is throw a combination and then just fucking get on the inside with him, push him against the cage and literally he’d be broken within five to seven minutes.

“The guy, he just doesn’t like it tough, man – ‘I’m a diva, I’m the UFC champ, I’m doing movies, I’m a pretty boy like this and that.’ He’s not a real fighter, man. I’m telling you, he’s gonna get exposed soon, I promise you that.

“You know, it wasn’t competitive,” he continued. “Like, when we were on the ground grappling, his submission defence is real bad, I’d catch him in submissions. When we wrestled, I took him down pretty easy. He couldn’t take me down. When we sparred, I just put the pressure on him and got on the inside and he hated that. He just hated it when he just had to make those big muscles have to work. Because you need oxygen to get those muscles to work and when you get those muscles tired, he falls over and breaks. So it wasn’t very competitive.”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/7/...-of-sparring-sessions-with-diva-ufc-champ-mma

"he's not a real fighter"? I would love to see if Covington would ko robbie lawler like Woodley did, hell I don't even like Woodley, but Colby is quickly becoming a major douche.

This whole (fake drama and acting like a douche persona) that so many fighters are trying just comes off as cringe and makes them look desperate for attention.

We talking bout practice. WE TALKING BOUT PRACTICE

this guy isn't half bad in the trashtalk, nice

Literally every single fighter is overrated and all at the same time according to about 80 percent of Sherdog and all of the fighters playing a gimmick heel character.

yeah doesn't really work when someone like u says it. thanks for the effort.

My favorite parts are when he calls Masvidal a "young stud" and Woodley "explosive and athletic". It's like he's trying to score as many cliches in 5 minutes as possible.

Another day another fighter trying to talk their way up the rankings with attention. It's like everyday there's a quote or tweet or something of some trash talk, we get more of that then actual fights. May as well be ultimate shit talk UST.

“He’s not my teammate. What are you taking about? He trains at Duke Roufus,” Covington told Submission radio. “He left American Top Team three, four years ago and he’s been training most of his time at Duke Roufus, so I don’t consider that guy a teammate.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/7/...-of-sparring-sessions-with-diva-ufc-champ-mma

coner-mcgregor-who-the-fuck-is-that-guy-who-the-fuck-is-that-guy.jpg

Woodley is pathetic, can't believe he gave Conor his belt after ufc 205.

HE's a disgrace

and he says he is from the mean streets of oregon

Yea that's kind of the thing. I pretty much agree with everything he's saying and I believe him honestly. The thing is though in practice Woodley isn't going to be throwing punches as hard as he can to knock you the fuck out. So it's easy for Colby to do all of that to Woodley because Woodley isn't really fighting to the best of his abilities and is basically handicapped.

Yea that's kind of the thing. I pretty much agree with everything he's saying and I believe him honestly. The thing is though in practice Woodley isn't going to be throwing punches as hard as he can to knock you the fuck out. So it's easy for Colby to do all of that to Woodley because Woodley isn't really fighting to the best of his abilities and is basically handicapped.

Rashad would always talk about getting the better of Jon Jones in practice leading up to their fight, and Cummins apparently made D.C. cry in practice out of frustration, practice sessions are exactly that practice sessions they hold no substance in terms of the outcome of a fight.

Like you said Woodley isn't going to be throwing the bombs he normally does in practice. I like Colby's embrace the grind style and I'm a fan but this talk is nonsense.

Rashad would always talk about getting the better of Jon Jones in practice leading up to their fight, and Cummins apparently made D.C. cry in practice out of frustration, practice sessions are exactly that practice sessions they hold no substance in terms of the outcome of a fight.

Like you said Woodley isn't going to be throwing the bombs he normally does in practice. I like Colby's embrace the grind style and I'm a fan but this talk is nonsense.

Exactly. I remeber Rashad saying all of that stuff and it came off 100% believable the way he said it you could just tell it was true. Something about how Jones had to ask Rashad to let him get up. Then in the fight Rashad is grabbing his hands and getting rocked with elbows, which you know Jones wasn't doing in practice.

Thanks for cliffs.

What if his words are true? But he is too dumb to understand that Tyrone just dont train rough because he is not the chosen one but "the smart one" ? Many questions, not enough answers.

I think Tyron right now would just sing a lullaby to Colby. He knows he got heavy hands and he knows how to use them.

Exactly. I remeber Rashad saying all of that stuff and it came off 100% believable the way he said it you could just tell it was true. Something about how Jones had to ask Rashad to let him get up. Then in the fight Rashad is grabbing his hands and getting rocked with elbows, which you know Jones wasn't doing in practice.

Also to add to that Keith Jardine I guess was a beast in the gym but that never really carried over to his career, granted he had some solid wins but we know which direction his career went.

Bottom line it's pretty silly to talk about practice, Colby's a young fighter trying to hype himself up and make a name for himself so I won't hold it against him.

Back