Anyone else think Gastelum runs through Weidman easily??

OldNHBWIZ

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Gastelum has been on a tear lately and has looked really good and dangerous. Weidman looked horrible in his last couple outings. I threw $100 down on Gastelum at -180, not the best odds, just because I think Gastelum does whatever he wants whenever he wants in this one. I don't see Weidman lasting longer than maybe round 3.

It's a pick em' fight. Gastelum beat a washed up Vitor and a Kennedy who had been out forever. His hype is based on the name value of fighters who have deteriorated massively.

He's still a good fighter, but Weidman should dominate him until he gasses. It's just a question of whether he can finish him before the third round. I tend to lean towards Fatselum but who knows.

I can see why you'd think that, but it's far more likely that Weidman figured out some shit that worked for him, and is going to look better than he did against Mousasi. In the two before that, remember, he generally looked really good and capable. Not better than Rockhold or Romero, but certainly good.

Wiedman has had really bad luck compounded with shitty fight IQ.
But he is a very good fighter and kelvin will have his hands full
I sitll have Wiedman winning this but Kelvin has had a great rise which has been great to follow

Whineman is not an easy fight for anyone but Kelvin should get a TKO in the 4th or 5th round.

Will be a good fight though look forward to it.

I'm picking Gastelum, if Weidman was at his best he'd steamroll him but it feels like he's declined since, ahem, USADA.

I think Gastelum wears Weidman out and puts him away in round 3 or later.
I just don't see Weidman submitting or (t)ko'ing Gastelum before that.

Last edited:
We know Weidman's level, he is the fighter he is going to be.
Gastelum is a better version almost every time. He could come out way better than we think and ruin The Chris.

Potentially yes.

If he escapes a couple of takedowns and starts landing punches Chris' gas might be gone already inside 2 to 3 rounds.

Dangerous fight for Chris and lots of pressure on him.

Its kind of funny we talk about Weidmans chances against Gastelum while knowing both of them would steamroll the divisional champ.

I do think this fight is the dumbest move possible regarding Weidmans career. He desperately needed time to heal his brain and body and then get an opponent to build him up again.

I dont see Weidman surviving 5 rounds against Gastelums pressure. If it goes more than 3 I would bet the house on Gastelum. Round 1-3 I see it pretty even.

I don't see Weidman having problems early as the bigger, stronger wrestler, and better grappler, but if he gasses hard all those advantages are gone.

I'll take Weidman at +150 against anyone in the division all day.

I think Weidman is going to use his grappling, he has good striking but his flat footedness makes it imperative that he takes Gastelum down sooner rather than later

Gastelum's speed will be to much for Chris imo.
I think KG hurts Chris early forcing Chris to wrestle which then gasses Chris leading to a 3rd round TKO

Wouldn't surprise me. I've been really impressed with Gassy since he moved up to 185. Weidman lost his edge when he lost to Rockhold. If the Chris gets run through, I would say that puts the Gas one more fight away from a title shot.

Back