Grappling Provides Very Little Excitement...

Mikey Palangio

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can only think of 2 situations where grappling excites the fans (1) The favorite fighter wins e.g. Maia vs Masvidal was so boring, but because the fan favorite won, people were able to tolerate it, and (2) There is a last minute submission by a fighter who is behind on the score cards e.g. Anderson Silva putting Chael Sonnen in a triangle (greatest moment in UFC history).

Since those two scenarios are not common, it is safe to say that grappling provides very little excitement. The only people who care about grappling are grapplers and fans who want their favorite fighters to win at any cost, no matter how boring they fight.

Name a grappling contest in the UFC that had fans standing up, and on the edge of their sits screaming, with some fainting and others reaching for their blood pressure medications?

As soon as we see "Lawler vs McDonald II" "Swanson vs Choi" "Johnson vs Gaethje" and etc, we all start talking "fight of the year." When has a grappling match ever had everybody so hyped to start talking about "fight of the year"? Never.

People want to see hardcore "Bang Bros" (violent strikers), not censored softcore "JAV" bullshit (grapplers who don't finish). HAHAHA

Mostly true, although sometimes we get those wild scrambles, where both guys are going for sub attempts left and right. Those can be pretty fun.

But your points are true - Being a grappler, I am more biased towards appreciating other high level grapplers than most fans are.

respectfully disagree, many grapple-heavy fights had me jumping out of my seat screaming at the tv.
Mir v Nog is one example:

J0lAY.gif

method=get&s=antonio-rodrigo-nogueira-frank-mir-gif.gif

Depends on the grappling. If it's just a wet blanket match I get bored and wish for the fast forward button.

I disagree but one can see in the last 10 years how BJJ has become more and more ineffective. It's a hell of a lot easier to learn sub defense than it is to effectively submit someone.

I think grappling is exciting in and of itself. If you look carefully at the techniques and positioning of the fighters then almost all fights that go to the ground has something interesting to offer...

Your right, getting excited and entertained by watching high level grapplers go at it actually requires knowing and understanding stuff............can't have that now can we

I always get very excited when I see 2 muscular and sweaty men laying on top of each other

nohomo

Generally true enough, although there have been a few exciting grappling exchanges. Hughes vs Trigg comes to mind. Rousey and Tate had some dramatic momentum shifts IIRC.

If only there was a sport that had punches and kicks but no grappling, then TS could finally be happy. Alas.

If you train jiu jitsu and can understand and appreciate the subtleties then it's the opposite of boring. If you don't you can still appreciate it, but can't really invest too much in it because you don't know what it feels like.

Hard to explain , but all I can say is I started liking grappling in MMA more than striking when I started training bjj

The epitome of a casual fan.

It'd be entertaining to try to watch a Shertard like you, survive for 59 secs against Maia.

The second he actually touched you, you'd likely Kish yourself, and tap right then.

latest

Lets put it this way. Grappling is very fun to watch when it's jiu jitsu, but its the freakin wrestlers that bore everyone.

I can only think of 2 situations where grappling excites the fans (1) The favorite fighter wins e.g. Maia vs Masvidal was so boring, but because the fan favorite won, people were able to tolerate it, and (2) There is a last minute submission by a fighter who is behind on the score cards e.g. Anderson Silva putting Chael Sonnen in a triangle (greatest moment in UFC history).

Since those two scenarios are not common, it is safe to say that grappling provides very little excitement. The only people who care about grappling are grapplers and fans who want their favorite fighters to win at any cost, no matter how boring they fight.

Name a grappling contest in the UFC that had fans standing up, and on the edge of their sits screaming, with some fainting and others reaching for their blood pressure medications?

As soon as we see "Lawler vs McDonald II" "Swanson vs Choi" "Johnson vs Gaethje" and etc, we all start talking "fight of the year." When has a grappling match ever had everybody so hyped to start talking about "fight of the year"? Never.

People want to see hardcore "Bang Bros" (violent strikers), not censored softcore "JAV" bullshit (grapplers who don't finish). HAHAHA

You are not a real fan of the sport if you do not appreciate grappling or the "boring" aspects.

Every sport has less exciting parts to it but those fans don't bitch and moan about it. I love all aspects of fighting which includes the moments fighters try to use strategy and get their wind back because it's smart. Those that criticize don't understand the effort that is being put forth in a fight and are filthy fucking casuals.

Those casual fans empower me and help me realize that i am superior to them and on top of that it gives me a massive pant ripping erection.

Back