UFC vs other athletic leagues(mlb, nfl, etc)

Kaiokenrye24

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered, but I am having no luck finding it. Why does the ufc and other mma promotions have to deal with corrupt and incompetent athletic commissions? Does it save money or is it madatory? Of course its a public sector org so that means they can't(wont) fire incompetent employees(Mazagatti, Yamasaki, Glen Trowbridge)

Just because you don't like a refs judgement doesn't mean he's incompetent.

That Chiesa vs Lee stoppage was a good one. The second the fighter stopped intelligently defending himself he stopped the fight.

Last edited:
Just because you don't like a refs judgement doesn't mean he's incompetent.

That Chiesa vs Lee stoppage was a good one. The second the fighter stopped intelligently defending himself he stopped the fight.
You are assuming that I think Yamasaki is incompetent because of the stoppage, but he has been incompetent in several cases (Faber vs Rivera, Lewis vs Browne)

MMA promotions need the state's OK to hold a fight, and that means getting the blessing of the state athletic commission. They don't really have a choice. Other than being mandatory, it gives credibility to the sport...since the refs don't work for the promotions they are more independent (in theory) from influence by someone like Dana who may have a business interest in a certain fighter winning. I can only imagine that it's a really tough job and there are few people as qualified as Yamasaki to be in there. Of course they won't be perfect 100% of the time because everything happens so fast, but I think the system works pretty well in general.

Beating up another person, in everyday circumstances, is called an assault. One can be arrested and jailed for it.

The commission is there to sanction the fight as a sport and distinguish it from antisocial criminal behavior.

Back in the day the only way to get the sport legalized was to allow the government to regulate it. Once the government gets involved in something its near impossible to get them out of it.

Back