Who's next at Welterweight?

johncola

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Woodley is fighting Maia in two weeks, but I can't see who's next after that. Here's the line order in my opinion:

1. Conor McGregor gets the WW title shot if he wants it. We have to wait and see what happens August 26 first, to see what Conor wants to do next, and if/when he wants to return. Khabib, Ferguson, Nate Diaz all seem like more likely opponents at this point, but you never know
  2. Georges St-Pierre gets the WW title shot if he wants it. Dana White has specifically mentioned this happening. However, GSP himself has made no mention of wanting this fight, and I personally still expect GSP/Bisping to happen
  3. Instant rematch. If there's controversy in the Woodley/Maia match, I could see this happening, due to a lack of alternate contenders
  4. Nick or Nate Diaz. Neither of them deserve the shot, but they're big names, and the division currently has a lack of contenders. The biggest doubt is in the brothers' desire to take the fight. They want to get paid and I'm not sure this fight will get them what they want
  5. Robbie Lawler, if he beats Cowboy. Woodley/Maia and Lawler/Cerrone are both happening on UFC 214, so the timing works out nicely. Lawler would only be on a 1-fight streak, but he's an ex-champ and is one of the UFC's guys. I don't see Cowboy getting a title shot if he beats Robbie, as the Masvidal starching is still pretty fresh
  6. Santiago Ponzinibbio. He's now on a 5-fight streak, including 3 KO wins, and a win over Gunnar Nelson. Ordinarily he would need another win to get the shot, but WW just doesn't have the contenders right now. Santiago is higher up in contention than Covington and Usman, as he has the best win, and is much more exciting than those two
  7. Jorge Masvidal. He's coming off a loss, which is never a good thing. But it was a very close fight, and one which many people thought he won. He's probably more likely to get the shot if Maia beats Woodley.
  8. Wonderboy Thompson. Like Masvidal, he's coming off a loss. He's actually gone 2 fights without a win. But of course, they're the fights against Woodley, both of which he arguably won. I highly doubt they wanna do Woodley/Wonderboy 3, so he really needs Maia to win to have any chance at getting a title shot.

Thoughts? Anyone I've missed? Any disagreements with the order?

Probably GSP, if he actually comes back.

What if Robbier Lawler absolutely starches Cerrone?
Does the former champ not fit in the picture?

if maia beats woodley GSP comes in for an easy 50-45. Could honestly even see him KOing maia.

if woodley wins I'm not sure how badly GSP will want that belt rather than the winner of Whittaker/ Bisping.

Nothing in Whittaker vs Romero told me that Whittaker can stop GSP's takedowns. Romero is a godlike wrestler no doubt, but his MMA wrestling isn't nearly as good as GSP's. He just relies on his explosiveness too much rather than actual timing for transitioning from striking to grappling.

GSP.

If not GSP, it'll likely be a Ponzinibbio fast track into the winner of Lawler/Cerrone for a title shot.

Masvidal vs Lawler if Lawler loses to Cerrone to get back in the race.

Mike Perry.

Or the obvious answer.. Robbie if he beats Cerrone.

Masvidal needs 2 wins at least and he will get them.
Ponzinibbio? Love the guy, only UFC fighter in my country but he needs to win a couple more too.
Wonderboy is not getting close to a titleshot while Woodley is champ.

Now you see why is that stupid they let Larkin (huge streak) and Rory (made the champ look like an amateur) go to Bellator.

WW is kind of fucked right now.

Dos Anjos is up there, but he needs a top 10 first, maybe the winner of Lawler/Cerrone?
GSP needs stay retired.

If Lawler beats Cerrone I'd love to see Lawler vs Masvidal for the #1 contender spot.

if maia beats woodley GSP comes in for an easy 50-45. Could honestly even see him KOing maia.

if woodley wins I'm not sure how badly GSP will want that belt rather than the winner of Whittaker/ Bisping.

Nothing in Whittaker vs Romero told me that Whittaker can stop GSP's takedowns. Romero is a godlike wrestler no doubt, but his MMA wrestling isn't nearly as good as GSP's. He just relies on his explosiveness too much rather than actual timing for transitioning from striking to grappling.
I agree with your first two paragraphs but I think Whittaker is being underrated yet again. He did what he did against Romero on a bad leg. GSP couldn't get Hendricks down (after that opening throwaway one). Whittaker has size, wrestling, boxing, power, chin, and is surely still improving further. Meanwhile, GSP has been out of the game for 4 years.

Nothing in Whittaker vs Romero told me that Whittaker can stop GSP's takedowns

kobe_what.gif

If Lawler beats Cerrone I'd love to see Lawler vs Masvidal for the #1 contender spot.
UFC typically doesn't operate this way. They won't put the title on the shelf for that long, just to wait for a fighter to "earn it" more.

Dos Anjos is up there, but he needs a top 10 first, maybe the winner of Lawler/Cerrone?
GSP needs stay retired.
RDA was on my "honorable mentions" list. He only decisioned Saffiedine, is coming off 2 losses before that, and isn't a draw. He's probably #9 on my list.

UFC typically doesn't operate this way. They won't put the title on the shelf for that long, just to wait for a fighter to "earn it" more.

My thought is that GSP will be next after Maia, so I meant in the mean time.

RDA was on my "honorable mentions" list. He only decisioned Saffiedine, is coming off 2 losses before that, and isn't a draw. He's probably #9 on my list.
Yeah, good shout that. Forgot his two L's were only a few fights ago.

When has a fighter with next to no finishing ability (such as gsp) ever swept Maia on the cards? When has Maia ever been swept in the cards in general? How on earth can you see gsp ko'ing anybody after looking at his entire title defense record? Fucking Yoel Romero and jacare couldn't take Whittaker down, but gsp can? Are you high? Whittaker KTFO gsp rd 1 if gsp ever gets the balls to fight him, cause we know he didn't have the balls to fight Anderson. There's more delusion in your post than a fake news article.

When has a fighter with next to no finishing ability (such as gsp) ever swept Maia on the cards? When has Maia ever been swept in the cards in general? How on earth can you see gsp ko'ing anybody after looking at his entire title defense record? Fucking Yoel Romero and jacare couldn't take Whittaker down, but gsp can? Are you high? Whittaker KTFO gsp rd 1 if gsp ever gets the balls to fight him, cause we know he didn't have the balls to fight Anderson. There's more delusion in your post than a fake news article.

Romero and Jacare have completely different wrestling style than GSP. Yoel was also successfully wrestling until he gassed which GSP never does. Maia got swept by Anderson on the cards easily. Gsp can KO Maia with a head kick pretty easily. The GSP in 2017 will be the RUSH

Back