Ultimately, why didn't Demetrious Johnson refuse to fight TJ Dillashaw?

sgtpepper

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I'm just curious, I dunno whether it was because DJ didn't think he was getting paid enough or because DJ didn't think he could beat TJ.

Although I'm a big DJ fan, I do think that he didn't fight TJ because he was scared he MIGHT lose. Especially since a win over TJ would be both a positive for his legacy (beating a bigger, former champion) and make a stronger argument for bigger pay as his popularity would definitely see a boost if they fought.

Risk wasn't worth the reward. Plus he has been feeling disrespected.

He has said all along that he wants to beat the title defense record in his current division. He's stated this way before TJ was even in the picture. Haters like to make their own narratives though.

He was afaraid of fighting someone who might stop him from breaking the title defense record

He says financial, but i think it was a case of ducking through over-negotiating. "I'll fight him if you pay me $100,000,000" "I'm not afraid of him i'm just not getting compensated enough"

Mighty Fraud knew that Dillasnake would have stiffened him.

He has said all along that he wants to beat the title defense record in his current division. He's stated this way before TJ was even in the picture. Haters like to make their own narratives though.
But he would've fought TJ at 125, so that would count towards his TD record anyway. What you're saying, is that he took the easier fight because he was afraid of losing his record.

DJ wanted to get the streak first, and there was no financial incentive to fight someone who had never made 125 named TJ 'Not a draawwwwwww" Dillashaaawwwwww.

He didn't want to fight someone who hadn't proven they can make weight, so he chose Ray Borg.

He wanted more money, and wanted to defend his title. Can't promise that you'll make a weight you've never made before.

Huh? He's the sole champ of his division. That makes no sense...

I think he ducked that fight. Far too risky and there was very little upside for DJ even if he won. Nothing BUT upside for Dillashaw even if he lost.

A lot of reasons.

Didn't like the way he was being treated by the UFC.
Didn't like the way he found out about his career through social media and fans, UFC would announce things before DJ knew.
Didn't like the threats to close his division.
Not being paid for a super fight despite it being pegged as a super fight.
Doesn't like TJ jumping to the front of the line despite never fighting at 125.

Btw, he has a proper management team now. Previously his coach was his manager but he's changed that.

And if you think fighters are scared to fight other fighters, you need to seriously reconsider your perspective and understanding of the sport.

He was scared to lose and wanted to continue fighting easy, obscure fights, under the guise of being morally outraged at how he's treated.

He wrote a few paragraphs on it. Its not because he is scared, its basically the ufc pulling all kinds of BS with him and him taking a stand.

Because hes the exact opposite of guys like Conor and Cowboy.

he probably didnt want to lose. theres no other reasonable explanation

Back