Woodley, Maia and GSP: how do you see them matching up against Bisping? Who has the best chance?

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Let´s say they decide to make this fight in the near future, the MW champ vs the WW champ.

Who would be the best and the worst match up for Bisping in your opinion: Woodley? Maia? Or GSP?

Thoughts?

Let´s say they decide to make this fight in the near future, the MW champ vs the WW champ.

Who would be the best and the worst match up for Bisping in your opinion: Woodley? Maia? Or GSP?

Thoughts?

Maia and GSP.

Maia was legit elite 185-er. His takedowns are too tricky for Bisping, whose TDD is good but not against the master.

GSP has too many tools. He will mix it up, and will be creative in striking.

Woodley, on the other hand...has a puncher's chance, but Bisping is a kind of fighter to pressure him and pick him apart, Rory style.

Bisping would clown Tyron. He's WAY bigger and way too busy with his strike output for Twood. GSP match, likely the same, although Georges might be able to keep him honest with the TD.

Maia likely gets picked apart from the outside, but it could get interesting if he got ahold of him.

Woodley has the explosive power.
St Pierre has the riddum.
Maia has the grapplefuck.

But I would like to see GSP against Bisping because being a longtime fan I've wanted to see him at 185 for years.

Maia likely gets picked apart from the outside, but it could get interesting if he got ahold of him.

He WILL get ahold of Bisping.
Bisping is not great at keeping his distance, he gets closer. He relies on his relatively good TDD and surprising clinch game, but Maia is a backpack, remember.

Woodley KO's him.

Maia and GSP get subbed

Woodley has the explosive power.

He has an explosive power, but he lets others work. That's why he could do nothing against Rory and that's, ironically, helped him get a win over Wonderboy.
Bisping will come forward to him, pressure him. Woodley does not like it, he even struggled when Shields did it.

They'd all lose via decision.

Woodley would be a small MW and Bisping's size and strength advantage although not huge would make Woodley's grappling less effective. Woodley gets pressured from the outside and picked apart imo.

George at MW is interesting because I have no idea how he would perform lol, could be on the weaker side of the division but could also make up for it with higher than average fight IQ. Fight ends in controversial decision.

Maia would have the hardest time out the listed challengers because of his cardio, it's not terrible but it's not that great either all those grappling transitions and sweeps wear him out relatively quick. Maia loses via decision or late TKO, of course I also said all this in the lead up to the Condit fight lol.

I see them all as pick em fights.

GSP is just so good at everything and knows how to prepare and peak for fights as good as anyone else. His TDs are good enough and can strike enough to make his wrestling more effective. On the other hand Bisping will be the biggest guy GSP had ever fought and his busy striking game and good TDD could win him at least 3 rounds.

Woodley has that huge right hand that is always a factor in his fights, even if it doesn't land flush guys are gonna have to be worried about it. Woodley's wrestling hasn't been quite as good as his credentials would suggest but its still good enough to get Bisping down a few times, which could open up the right hand. On the other hand Bisping will be the biggest guy Woodley had ever fought and his busy striking game and good TDD could win him at least 3 rounds.

Maia probably has the best style to beat Bisping most of the time. He takes very few shots which will render Bisping's high output style essentially just a drain on his gas tank. His strength also happens to be Bisping's weakness. And also, Bisping will not be the biggest fighter Maia has ever faced. Bisping could win by virtue of showing up and simply having a better night than Maia. He isn't too different than Masvidal but hes much bigger. Bisping is remarkably consistent so if maia puts on a subpar performance he will certainly capitalize.

Thoughts?
the best chance IMO is GSP... but that is... the old GSP. Now we have no idea if he will be any good.
Beyond them, Woodley would be a threat on the foot while Maia on the ground.
Both can get it done, but I would take Bisping's size, movement & Cardio and put him as a slight favorite... not by much though.

I don't think woodley or maia would win, I give GSP a chance because it's GSP

Maia won't take bisping down and he'll get picked apart at range.

Gsp will do better but not great with tds. He won't control the Count for any length of time before he gets up. Bisping wins a decision

Woodley is quicker than bisping and can knock him out with one shot. But bisping has that pressure style to wear Woodley out in the later rds

I don't favor any of them over bisping but
Wood>gsp>maia

Woodley may gas on him. Maia definitively beats him. GSP may decision him.

Maia and GSP.

Maia was legit elite 185-er. His takedowns are too tricky for Bisping, whose TDD is good but not against the master.

GSP has too many tools. He will mix it up, and will be creative in striking.

Woodley, on the other hand...has a puncher's chance, but Bisping is a kind of fighter to pressure him and pick him apart, Rory style.

Maia knows how to get it to the ground even if he has to pull you there, he is a bad matchup for Bisping in area, but he is terrible enough to get his face lit up.

GSP, as much as he is in my top 3, this isn't GSP with pistons for legs that could jump a double right through concrete anymore. His speed, leg drive, and movement wasn't great in all three of his last fights. He looked horrible even if he won against Condit/Diaz/Burgerboy. It's a toss up depending on how healthy he is.

Woodley...Bisping has been KO'd before, and Woodley has power. Bisping is also a faster and much better kickboxer. Knows how to move well too and could completely embarrass Woodley...Unless he shits the bed like he does against power punchers.

Maia beats Bisping. Maia has really figured out this MMA thing in recent years. It took him a while, but he's figured out exactly what his skills are and how to best apply them. Bisping's TDD is good, but not THAT good. That seems like a backpack situation to me.

Woodley is a difficult one because his actual striking skills are below average. But his explosiveness, combined with the threat of the takedown, is a real problem for people. I tend to think that Bisping would be able to hang in that fight long enough for Woodley to gas, at which point Bisping's pressure and cardio would take over. Bisping by decision or late finish.

GSP would be a fairly easy fight for Bisping, in my opinion. GSP was already slowing down when he left the sport 3 1/2 years ago. Those knee injuries had a significant effect. Now that he's 3 1/2 years older and hasn't fought during that span of time, it's hard to believe that he'd be competitive against Bisping. Prime GSP beats Bisping. This version of GSP does not.

Maia beats Bisping. Maia has really figured out this MMA thing in recent years. It took him a while, but he's figured out exactly what his skills are and how to best apply them. Bisping's TDD is good, but not THAT good. That seems like a backpack situation to me.

Woodley is a difficult one because his actual striking skills are below average. But his explosiveness, combined with the threat of the takedown, is a real problem for people. I tend to think that Bisping would be able to hang in that fight long enough for Woodley to gas, at which point Bisping's pressure and cardio would take over. Bisping by decision or late finish.

GSP would be a fairly easy fight for Bisping, in my opinion. GSP was already slowing down when he left the sport 3 1/2 years ago. Those knee injuries had a significant effect. Now that he's 3 1/2 years older and hasn't fought during that span of time, it's hard to believe that he'd be competitive against Bisping. Prime GSP beats Bisping. This version of GSP does not.
Good post, that´s basically my opinion as well.

We have not seen GSP in this USADA era, I suspect his performance will be sub par.

Woodley might win, might lose.

Since it's a 5 rounder, I guess Maia will not try to submit him right in the first round unless a pretty good opportunity shows up (and that might happen), but mostly tire Bisping in the first rounds, then we'll see what happens.
Maia often wears himself out trying to force a chin RNC, even though I love seeing that and the effort he puts to cease the day, it would be wiser for him to control the pace for the first rounds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back