How would you feel about standing 5 counts in MMA...?

PalmStrike

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
..when a fighter gets semi knocked out and goes down?

You know, instead of allowing him to get donkey kong-d into oblivion with no chance of defending himself.

No, please no.

That would take away submitting someone after a knockdown. Would change the sport too much imo.

It takes most Heavyweights more than 5 seconds to get up from a chair.

I'm on some Soul Train shit today
soul-train-afro-o.gif

It just won't work. This is a sport that goes to the ground. What if somebody gets choke out, is there a standing 5 count for that that person?
In boxing it works because once you hit the ground, there's no follow through allowed, but in MMA, it's the follow up that leads to the finish.

You know, instead of allowing him to get donkey kong-d into oblivion with no chance of defending himself.

Since when do fighters get donkey konged to Bolivian? Usually there is a competent ref like BJM that steps in and kicks the KO'd fighter in the head while he's saving him.

I suppose they could make a kickboxing league that uses mma gloves instead of boxing gloves, but a standing 5 count means you no longer have mma. Also, amazing, weird comebacks like cheick congo vs pat berry wouldn't happen.

I am completely against it.

This is obviously a troll or a post that isn't well thought out, but:

Several standing counts like in boxing isn't neccessarily more safe than getting dropped and then finished on the ground.

No way. Standing counts in boxing are brutal enough but with 4oz gloves? Hello CTE.

Sure, let's make sure a guy gets three or four concussions in a fight, instead of just one.

They had something like that in Pancrase for a brief time, didn't go well.

They could outlaw strikes to a grounded fighter that goes down dazed from strikes.

But how? Should the ref wave his hands until he thinks the downed guy recovered enough to get punched in the face again? There wil be a LOT of controversy with that.. i just don't think it works.

Right now the ref is the one deciding when a fighter has enough, that stirs up enough shit already imo.

Also: getting knocked down and receiving another 3-4 punches is better for the brain than getting knocked down three times in a row.

Back