So-called "excuses" and purity in sportsmanship

Venom

Lurker since '09
@Silver
Reaction score
We tend to sit back and mock people who explain why such and such happened, but every question demands an answer,

When Conor McGregor was asked why he thought he lost the first fight to Nate Diaz, I thought his explanation was fairly rational; he was inefficient, he went head-hunting, he didn't expect Nate to hold up so well.

mcgregor-presser.jpg

"I took a shot; I went at it.

"I feel I was simply inefficient with my energy. Usually I fight a man in the division I am champion in they crumble under those shots but Nate didn't. The weight allowed him to take those shots well... With the bigger man, you must be more efficient with your striking. You don't put everything into the shots."

So screw this pure sportsman crap. Fans tend to expect that whenever you lose you just have to "man up" and admit your opponent was the better man,........ lol, sure buddy.

Jose-Aldo-vs.-Chan-Sung-Jung-2.gif

Several factors go into performance....the weight cut, nagging injuries, even your emotional state. When a reporter walks up to you and puts you on the spot and asks you "Why?" the answer cannot be the same each time, "duh, my opponent was the better man" NO, there will be nuance. Fighters aren't video game characters with static capabilities, they have a certain range of their abilities.

I'd say most fighters are assessing their personal productivity in the ring based on those factors rather than saying if it weren't for so and so I'd have won.

Reasons are ok, like A. Silva reason for doping might be broken leg, legacy pressure, anxiety.

His excuse though, he couldnt get his dick hard enough to fuck his lady and needed some help.

Reasons are given when people own up, its truthful, excuses are given when they wanna lie or misdirect or delusional about something. Theyre often hilarious and worth laughing at.

Can0r was all war time this, size dont matter that, panic wrestling. Then all a sudden he had to even fight a dude three times his size, the LHW thc monster Nayt, no choice but to panic wrestle.

Can0r was all war time this, size dont matter that, panic wrestling. Then all a sudden he had to even fight a dude three times his size, the LHW thc monster Nayt, no choice but to panic wrestle.

He'll fight anyone regardless of size.

The size was a major factor for his loss.

Where's the contradiction?

That's simply Conor underestimating his opponent. There is no logically inconsistent reasoning going on there.

Conor rematched him lol.

in-loss-and-vape-smoke-nate-diaz-still-endures-1471877960.jpeg

"Crooked judges"
"Too real for this sport"
"Robbery"
"He ran"
"I was injured in camp, he should've finished me"
"Had to fight without my brother"

Forrest Griffin on Anderson fight:

-"my biggest issue was how many times he punched me in the face."

this is my favorite interview of all time

I've never tried not to like that guy, but if I did I'd assume it was a futile enterprise beforehand.

That was funny, Merci beaucoup (as they say in Portugal).

Ultimately what people need to realize is that there are LEGITIMATE excuses and then there are BULLSHIT excuses. Leonard Garcia had an interesting take on this during one of his past interviews at the 2:00 mark here:

He'll fight anyone regardless of size.

The size was a major factor for his loss.

Where's the contradiction?

That's simply Conor underestimating his opponent. There is no logically inconsistent reasoning going on there.

Conor rematched him lol.
When he said it didnt matter that hes in there with the bigger man or not, he its about the better man, in wartime size dont matter, its the better man.

So the better man is what hes trying to measure as the result of the fight that is going to happen. Then the better man whoops him hard, made him do the things he often criticize peolple about, "panic wrestle" he really panic wrestle, if not he wouldve took a tko because that boy was sinking.

So the better man grind his nuts all over conor then conor goes and say what factor to him losing was the fact that Nayt is larger(three times according to him) but wait......

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: i thought you said that size dont matter before the fight and that you had dealt with larger men before??? So by his own way, he lost to a better man who made him panic wrestle, has nothing to do with size because in wartime size dont matter. Nate is only slightly larger being taller.

But then he said it matters after getting choked... hmmm

He makes fun of people who wrestle when they couldnt handle the standups, yet he did it himself the very first time he was given the choice. Thats like making fun of people when he himself would and did the same exact thing he shits on people for doing. So the boy shits on himself.

Nobody made fun of him for the second time around, he did a good job, cover some holes, up his cardio and hung in there when the going gets tough.

The first fight though, it was the best haha moment
giphy.gif

you had scores of examples, and you just had to choose Conor. ffs. you KNOW it will derail your main point, and you did it anyway :mad:

here's a better one. Nog had staph leading up to his first fight against Mir. Mir won. Nog didn't say shit. weeks later, Dana mentioned something. so a reporter did what reporters do; asked Nog. Nog said yes. Mir and a few thousand shitbag sherdoggers said "like OMG, i cannot believe Nog is making excuses". even though Dana brought it up and Nog just said 'yes' to reporter.

waddyagonnado. most people today (in America, at least) cannot critically think their way out of a paper bag. this site seems to be no exception. so it's not surprising that they confuse 'answer' or 'analysis of what went wrong' with 'making excuses'.

i agree with Josh Barnett on the latest JRE; life is so easy today that we are (mentally) atrophying, just like the people in Wall-E.

WALL-E-382.jpg

you had scores of examples, and you just had to choose Conor. ffs. you KNOW it will derail your main point, and you did it anyway :mad:

here's a better one. Nog had staph leading up to his first fight against Mir. Mir won. Nog didn't say shit. weeks later, Dana mentioned something. so a reporter did what reporters do; asked Nog. Nog said yes. Mir and a few thousand shitbag sherdoggers said "like OMG, i cannot believe Nog is making excuses". even though Dana brought it up and Nog just said 'yes' to reporter.

waddyagonnado. most people today (in America, at least) cannot critically think their way out of a paper bag. this site seems to be no exception. so it's not surprising that they confuse 'answer' or 'analysis of what went wrong' with 'making excuses'.
l

Agree with your last sentence. But your first one, that's just one that stuck out recently. You're right about Mir and Nogueira though

Agree with your last sentence. But your first one, that's just one that stuck out recently. You're right about Mir and Nogueira though

frustrating though, isn't it? i mean, a well adjusted adult should review what happened, what went wrong, and try to address it. but if they verbalize any of that, the LCD vocal minority starts crying 'excuses'.

then again, we keep coming here. so....

Back