Whittaker is now the betting favorite over Romero. Which means...

Duck Dodgers

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
...that Yoel has been the underdog in his last six fights.

Odds history here.

For someone on an eight-fight win streak including finishes over highly ranked opposition, and who is clearly the scariest guy in his weight class, that's pretty remarkable. Has the betting public been underestimating Romero, or does this just speak to his level of competition? Do you think the current odds (roughly -135/+110) accurately reflect how he and Whittaker match up?

What I do know is that some people have made a lot of money off him.

(The last guy he was a favorite over, Derek Brunson, actually gave him one of his toughest fights.)

Might be time to pull out the savings. I wouldn't bet on this fight unless the odds swing a little more, but if it keeps trending in this direction, I'd put some pennies on Yoel.

Despite him being the underdog, all the odds have been pretty close.

MW is stacked. IMO, he should already be getting the title shot.

Fuck Romero. He's a cheat.

how can they bet on whittaker

gay jesus by destruction

People keep banking on Romero gassing. I don't get it.
Maybe they underestimate his striking because he's a wrestler, and then underestimate his grappling because he doesn't always use it that much.

...what they fail to realize is that Romeo doesn't need striking or grappling, he is backed by GOD.

It speaks to Romero's usual fighting style. High damage, but low activity. Whittaker might box him up before he can really get going.

It speaks to Romero's usual fighting style. High damage, but low activity. Whittaker might box him up before he can really get going.

This is true. He looks unimpressive for stretches of the fight and then his opponent is dead.

rascism

method=get&rs=70&q=75&x=358&y=18&w=240&h=320&ro=0&s=woodleytyronufc.jpg

Woodley has marketed himself well imo. Before he was champ people mainly remembered him for the epic beat down he received from Marquardt. ow they have a definite strong impression of his personality.

People keep banking on Romero gassing. I don't get it.

I love Whittaker, but he is one missed bob and/or weave from getting KTFO.

(Same with Yoel, too, actually!)

I don't think cardio is going to be a factor, because I can't see this going past middle of round two.

Woodley has marketed himself well imo. Before he was champ people mainly remembered him for the epic beat down he received from Marquardt. ow they have a definite strong impression of his personality.

he race baited the entire sport...

im not sure id call that good marketing

yeah sure, he is more popular now, but mostly because people want a replay of that exact marquardt finish! :D

Has more to do with parity at MW. You have about 5 contenders who could be champs no matter who's the champ. Them facing each other means close odds, and Yoel did have a very close fight with Jacare and a competitive one with Weidman, so while he's winning it's not like he's icing everyone without breaking a sweat.

I love Whittaker, but he is one missed bob and/or weave from getting KTFO.

(Same with Yoel, too, actually!)

I don't think cardio is going to be a factor, because I can't see this going past middle of round two.
Yeah, Whittaker has been one of my favorite fighters for some time now. I am very anxious about this fight.

he race baited the entire sport...

im not sure id call that good marketing

yeah sure, he is more popular now, but mostly because people want a replay of that exact marquardt finish! :D
Being hated is as profitable as being loved in such cases.

Yoel is a flashy fighter with little substance. Highly decorated wrestler who hasn't shown any type of dominating wrestling game in MMA. He gets away with it because he's just so physical and athletic. Has some good wins, but Whittaker is a terrible matchup for him. A young, athletic, fast, technical boxer. Yoel gasses early and Whittaker picks him apart.

The moment he loses it won't be so cute.

That's the real test.. when you are low not with a shiny belt, everyone likes and fallows that.

Being hated is as profitable as being loved in such cases.
true, but the feeling i get from tyron is that he is one of those guys that would love to be loved. its the kind of thing that appeals to his ego.

he may get his money, but he is never getting the praise he was looking for

Maybe they underestimate his striking because he's a wrestler, and then underestimate his grappling because he doesn't always use it that much.

...what they fail to realize is that Romeo doesn't need striking or grappling, he is backed by GOD.

He goes hard in bursts it's his Olympic wrestling background.

I think he will win and then scare the hell out of the Duck.

Back