Johny Hendricks explains why he missed weight for middleweight bout with Tim Boetsch

J

JollyRants

“Wednesday, something happened and I started running a fever,” he said, (h/t MMAFighting.com). “Thursday, Friday, I’m sitting there going, ‘Oh my gosh.’ It’s funny because I love fans but I think that they’re the most ill-informed people and the reason that I say that is because if y’all are feeling sick, what do y’all do? If you are sick what do you get to do? You get to take a day off.”

“My family was going through sickness for three weeks prior to the fight and I laughed because I didn’t get it. I was super excited. Awesome, nothing’s going on. Until you start cutting weight. I showed up and I think I was 13 [pounds] over and I drank 10 pounds of fluids that day and at that point you’re fighting not only the weight but also your body. It just sucks because 185 is not that hard to make but whenever you’re sick, it is. You’re body’s not gonna give up anything and the next thing you know, you’re trying to turn right around in 48 hours and fight for your life.”
1456458870497.gif
He was sick so he started eating
image-170.jpeg

That isn't even a coherent explanation. I suppose he's implying that he was horribly sick and had to drink fluids to recover, which doomed his weight cut, but it's hard to be certain with his random babbling.

It might be true, but if he wasn't addicted to fast food then he wouldn't have had much weight to cut in the first place.

No comment. Just a weary shake of the head and a sigh.

They should have let him finish chewing before attempting to transcribe.

Man how the fuck was this guy champ lol

Johnys decline has been crazy

I know its been years but it doesnt feel like that long ago he was going toe to toe with the GOAT WW and nearly winning, then putting on FOTY scraps with Lawler

Now he's getting his ass whipped by Tim Boetsch and cant even make 185

RIP sweet fat Prince Johny

I love how he always says the fans don't understand weight cutting.

Its your fucking job Johnny. The fans do their job so they can earn money to buy tickets to watch you fight. So if everyone just does their job there won't be a problem.

I think its the opposite, when i caught the flu i lost 8 pounds in three days pretty much all water weight from sweating.
My face was super sucked in, and it hurt to drink water.

he's been on a big fall since 2015. could it be PEDs? there's quite a few fighters that all of a sudden started looking and fighting much different right around 2014 - 2015. vitor and marquardt to name two.

He's saying that the average fan is "ill-informed" on weight cutting, and they just don't understand. Ok, but they can notice that he's missed weight 3 of his last 4 fights. Was he sick for all of them?

Since he's not getting the job done in the cage anymore, his main problem is how unlikable he comes off in interviews. Fight fans hate him, and not in a good way. Seriously, he doesn't generate heel heat like how a Conor or even a Woodley can. He just comes off as a whiner, always making excuses. It's not even funny anymore; I think he legit has mental issues at this point, because he can't take any responsibility for anything regarding his career. I can only shudder to think what he's like in his personal life.

I would listen, but I just don't care at this point. The only excuse is that he stuffed more calories in his mouth than he should have.

Here's the Barbarian's take on it btw:

“We joked about that in camp; somebody said, ‘What are the chances of him missing weight at this one?'” Boetsch said. “I said, ‘I don’t really care if he does.’ I jokingly said that he might, and then Marcus (Davis) came to me the morning of the weigh-ins and said he was going to miss, and not even attempt it.

“We still had a couple of hours, or an hour and a half left at that point. So I’m like, ‘All right, I guess we’ll see how this goes.’ If he’s not willing to cut a couple extra pounds, (it) kind of speaks to his professionalism.”

Boetsch said that his camp had been following a bit of Hendricks’ camp online, and had found that the ex-champ was weighing in at 189 pounds after practice. Which makes him think about the reasons for the miss.

“I don’t see any reason why he didn’t make the weight, other than just he lack of discipline,” Boetsch said. “Maybe he was taking me lightly. I don’t know. But anybody who does that should probably rethink it.”

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/06/tim-boetsch-johny-hendricks-unprofessional-weight-miss

Back