Josh Barnett about Cro Cop and his power...

crofighter

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
From yesterday's JRE podcast

Said his kicks were the hardest he ever felt, shares one short CC story, talks about his prime etc.

Josh Barnett is probably the fighter I like hearing talk the most. A very good mind in general, but especially for fighting. He always has interesting and thoughtful things to say.

Definitely bookmarking that video for later.

Multiple people have commented that Cro Cop was strong as shit as well, despite "only" being 220 pounds or so...just freakish core strength.

I will always remember watching Pridge Heavyweight GP finals CroCop vs Barnett and hearing Barnett shriek when CroCop landed a heavy one during GNP. Will never forget. He was in some serious pain.

was a fun JRE episode.

he also talks about the eye poke in the 3rd fight in this Mark Kerr and Josh Barnett interview. he basically said within a nanosecond of it happening, all he could think of was how Pride refs usually didn't intervene, and he'd seen guys get fucking wrecked after one, so he tapped fast. upon reviewing the fight, saw that CC knew he'd eye poked and was backing off, and the ref was moving in. so it appears he would have had time to recover, and it was a bummer - but logical - that he tapped. he's not the kind of guy who has 'regrets', per se. just a bummer. then move on.

plus, even if you don't like CC or Barnett, anyone who cares about the history of the sport should listen to this podcast. i totally get that most here don't, but some do. and it's funny and entertaining as shit.

Multiple people have commented that Cro Cop was strong as shit as well, despite "only" being 220 pounds or so...just freakish core strength.

Pride's zero-testing policy didn't hurt, either.

Prime Crocop in pride was beastly.

I miss those times.

Oldskool Pride FC stories really gets me everytime

Lol @ fggt Rogan acting surprised. "Cro Cop, really. Wow. That's crazy." Shut the hell up Joe

What do you expect? This is the echo chamber. You think Barnett is going to admit "Big Nog and Cro-Cop were disappointing in the UFC...maybe they weren't as good as I thought. The same goes for Fedor a few years later, as well as Shogun, Wand and other Pride icons."

And that's coming from the roidhead

Probably the HGH

What do you expect? This is the echo chamber. You think Barnett is going to admit "Big Nog and Cro-Cop were disappointing in the UFC...maybe they weren't as good as I thought. The same goes for Fedor a few years later, as well as Shogun, Wand and other Pride icons."

LOL all the pride icons were disappointing? Um... Shogun, Nog, Werdum, and Anderson were the champs in the UFC. Of course they all slowed down years later when they got old, but so did all of the UFC fighters that had their prime during the pride era.

I will always remember watching Pridge Heavyweight GP finals CroCop vs Barnett and hearing Barnett shriek when CroCop landed a heavy one during GNP. Will never forget. He was in some serious pain.
Pridge sounds like how a Japanese person would say fridge... Prease gib me appur prom da pridge.

Barnett vs nelson in japan was so good

Hassy made it even better

Last edited:

Fedor remained top Hw years after pride ended

Nog won the UFC Hw title after pride (despite being a half crippled zombie)

Shogun won the UFC Lhw title after pride

Crocop won a rizin GP and a K-1 GP after pride

Wand hasn't a title win but beat Bisping, Cung Le, Brian Stann and Jardine after pride but fair enough he hasn't been the same.

I think it's pretty obvious fighters who were 30 in pride aren't going to be the same 10 years after it ended.

Mir, Sylvia, ArLOVEski, and Couture aren't very good these days either.

Schaub said that Cro Cop was the strongest opponent he faced in the UFC.

Back