After Maia's 7 fight win streak, he's gifted a four week camp for a championship fight.

fortheo

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
These are quotes from Maia's manager who posts on this site. I thought i'd share them as they deserved their own thread as his posts seem to always get buried in the sherdog mess.

Actually we did two training camps in a row, cause we did one for woodley-wonderboy in case someone got hurt. When we were about to finish it with a gym fight, we had to have the Masvidal fight booked to earn a title shot. So we cooled down for a week and started a new training camp, this time for Masvidal.
Two days or so after the Masvidal fight we got asked if we could take the Woodley fight on July 8th, and we explained we needed time to rest after two training camps and wanted time to prepare properly for such an important fight after it. It was understood, and we were asked what was the earliest we could fight.

So we explained earliest would be Late August, but September onwars would be better and more proper, as we also had a bunch of signed comitments for right after the masvidal fight, including shooting a documentary for a ufc partner and seminars.
Time went by and we got asked about August 19th, which we agreed. Show got cancelled and July 29th was the only option we were given. it was that or risk not having a TS, as GSP is waiting and we were explained the WW title fight had to hapoen on this date. so here we are.

Obrigado amigo. Thanks my friend.

I would obviously have liked to have time to run a full camp, and told them that. In 27 UFC fights (had to pull out once against Pyle due to illness), this will be Demian's shortest time to prepare ever.
Like I said, life is not always how we want and circumstances change for reasons we can't control. With that said, we will do the best with the four weeks of training camp we have. We will see what happens.
The positive is that, in a shorter camp you have more focus and trim the excess. Easier to remain motivated and focused. Thats the only positive I can think of in comparison with a full camp. Lol

It's pretty shitty that one of the most deserving contenders in the entire UFC was pretty much given an ultimatum to take his title shot under such shitty conditions or lose it.

Last edited:
UFC brass are scumbags. But is normal, sadly. Hopefully he can make the most of it and grapplefuck GSP back into irrelevancy.

Terrible for Maia.

If GSP is waiting, give the shot to GSP, let Maia fulfill his commitments, rest, have a camp and give him the winner. There's no one else at WW.

This is fucking bullshit. Maia has earned his shot now 2 or 3 times already and they give him 4 fucking weeks. Fucking disgrace.

giphy.gif

Sounds good. He's been wanting a title shot and he gets 4 weeks to prep. The guy is a pro fighter who's been training in all facets of the game for decades, he doesn't need to learn to fight for every new opponent. NFL teams get a week to prep for the next team and 2 weeks for the superbowl and this guy is whining about having 4 weeks to prep? Would make sense coming off a layoff where he needs to get back in shape, but not after coming off another camp. He needs to be grateful or maybe they can give the shot to a fighter who doesn't need to relearn how to fight for every opponent.

Wtf GSP going around screwing up divisions.

Fuck You Gsp go die in more shitty movies.

people on here always complain about maia not getting a shot yet, but when would you have given it to him?

when wonderboys shot was announce, he was on a 7 fight winstreak, including wins over hendricks and rory and maia was on 6 with his best win over condit

they couldnt let thompson not get a rematch off of a draw. title fight draws are always rematches

Lame they're giving him short notice. The UFC should have just scheduled this fight instead of having Maia vs Masvidal.

Hey at least he is getting his title shot..

Well Woodley is only getting 4 weeks too right? I don't see a huge issue

Well shit, Woodley also has just 4 weeks. I'd assume this favors Maia. Am I wrong on this?

He fought Masvidal May 13th, and he's now schedule for July 29th. That is 77 days.

Considering he took some ugly shots from Masvidal, He needs a few weeks rest before resuming full training. Lets call that 21 days off, three weeks of relaxation.

That leaves 56 days till fight night. The entire last week is media obligations and weight cutting, so we're down to 49 days of preparation. In this respect 'four weeks' seems like an exaggeration, but that turnaround time is just too tight.

I'd much prefer he got to fight in August which is more suitable for everyone, but that card got scuttled. If Maia simply said he could not make the date, he will still be the #1 contender but he would likely have off until the end of the year, assuming Woodley takes a fight this summer.

Yeah, this is the typical hater bullshit one has come to expect from the DFW and the UFC.
Hopefully this backfires and Maia chokes out Woodley and GSP back to back then holds up the title for as long as possible and then retiring at the last minute to fuck them over.

War Maia.

Back