P4P goat is stupid, but can we agree on it for each weight class?

tjry

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
The P4P debate can go on forever without a definitive answer, but the greatest in each weight class might be unanimous considering how young MMA is

125: MM
135: Cruz
145: aldo (Conor has no defenses in the weight class. Weidman beat the GOAT middleweight and has title defenses but that does not make him MW GOAT)
155: prodigy
170: GSP
185: Anderson
205: JBJ
HVY: fedor

Any dispute?

The P4P debate can go on forever without a definitive answer, but the greatest in each weight class might be unanimous considering how young MMA is

125: MM
135: Cruz
145: aldo (Conor has no defenses in the weight class. Weidman beat the GOAT middleweight and has title defenses but that does not make him MW GOAT)
155: prodigy
170: GSP
185: Anderson
205: JBJ
HVY: fedor

Any dispute?
Ill dispute A silva and JJ
Penn is on shaky grounds the more he loses

The rest seem about right

The drug pop and the excuses by A Silva and JJ really tarnish their legacy. Both them dick pills, come on!!

Agreed. Imagine if he retired after the Sanchez fight or even Hughes III

Agreed on all counts.

Some newbs will want to swap out some of those vets for newer names, but until they understand what it is for a fighter to truly & convincingly dominate a division over an extended period of time, then they'll understand your reasoning

For a second there I thought you wanted to name a P4P Best in each weight class which would've been LOLtastic.

Losses don't take away victories when you're clearly over the hill...do they?
Man, i like penn, it doesnt havento take away from his greatness, i respect the hell out of him for keep fighting and staying clean, i do beleive he is clean.

But we're seeing him get fucked up so much recently, its gonna become his lasting image if he doesnt stop.

The drug pop and the excuses by A Silva and JJ really tarnish their legacy. Both them dick pills, come on!!

Fair enough to dispute Silva and JJ on 'dick pills' grounds, but then... who would you replace them with?? MW GOAT and LHW GOAT... think carefully now

Agreed. Imagine if he retired after the Sanchez fight or even Hughes III

Only agree to a certain extent. If he'd retired at that point, sure we'd hold him in higher regard record-wise, but you can't hold it against him that he didn't retire then.

Even if a fighter is considered the greatest of their era, it doesn't make them invincible or impervious to age.

Fair enough to dispute Silva and JJ on 'dick pills' grounds, but then... who would you replace them with?? MW GOAT and LHW GOAT... think carefully now

Haha mw is a battleground right now, its a dangerous warzone out there, let the division go another 5 year and look back. LHW, it goes back to shogun/wand, even though Jones is clearly the most skilled LHW yet, i cant say cormier becausw the jones fight. Idk man

The dick pill excuse just makes me laugh everytime.

The only weight class where there is a legit discussion to be had is 155.

Everyone other weight class has a champion that has gone on a very long run of sustained dominance.

The only weight class where there is a legit discussion to be had is 155.

Everyone other weight class has a champion that has gone on a very long run of sustained dominance.
Agreed. Of course we all can't agree because there will always be idiots and people who disagree just for the sake of disagreeing, but for reasonable people the consensus is mostly very clear, with the least clarity for 155.

Conor McGregor 145/155/170

stupidest thing.jpg

As far as the OP goes, I agree on all but LW. LW is a toss up.

Penn had defenses over Sherk, Florian, and Sanchez.
Edgar had defenses over Penn and Maynard.
Henderson had defenses over Edgar, Diaz and Melendez.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to give the nod to Henderson or even Edgar.

I´m a BJ Penn fan too, but if people give him so much credit for going up and fighting Hughes, how about doing the same with Edgar and putting him alongside Penn as LW goat, just because he was the one truly fighting guys twice his size the whole time and become champ and defended his belt more than once.
Frankie-Edgar-Belt-UFC-136-460x270.jpg

Ill argue for penn

He won the title multiple time at lw, defended his title multiple time, won multiple title aftet beating gomi, the other lw goat contender at the time, he went to ww and fuck up the champion, like fuck him up easy, like fucking animal maul that country boi matt huges and fuck up george, he fuck geoege up the first time around. Hughes and GSP are basically the WW GOATs of different generation, Penn beat them both up the first time around.
201102251004260e4_crop_north.jpg

1CDD5143-C09F-2148-BDDE9F6EAB232862.jpg

display_image.jpg

The guy showed an amazing array of skills and it seem so natural too, first time around, penn was such a beast, people even know, the man went to w/e the fuck weight class to fuck whoever he wants. He fought a hw lyoto in japan.

Penn was untouchable by the nightmare sanchez when sanchez was fucking guida who was beating pettis and dropping b. henderson at the time.
giphy.gif

I said it before, penn was someone who you cant takedown, cant out box, cant knockdown because dat mr potatoe head, cant out grapple. If you are the same size as penn in his prime, you are fucked.

Penn loses alot because he take on all kinds of challenges and have been outspoken against roid heads. He even fought Rory fucking mac. He dont need the money but hes fighting to motivate hawaiins, taking loses and continue fighting as a warrior. Thats why its so heart breaking to see him get fucked up again and again.

Thats why hes so respected

Last edited:
Back