Luke Thomas breaks down the Lee/Chiesa choke.

Defeat Unknown

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

Timestamped. Not sure if it's been posted on here yet but it's a good breakdown.

Luke points out Chiesa isn't hand fighting, hands are "floating out in space". Also notes Chiesa isn't even grimacing at one point, face is blank. In his slides, Mario is standing right over Chiesa looking directly down at his face.

Stage 1) Hand fighting
Stage 2) Stop hand fighting
Stage 3) Go limp

Also comments that a fight is stopped when a fighter stops intelligently defending themselves, and doesn't necessarily need a tap or to pass out.

Also comments that a fight is stopped when a fighter stops intelligently defending themselves, and doesn't necessarily need a top or to pass out.

Didn't watch the video, but is this really true? Most judges haven't got the memo in that case.

Yamasaki missed the obvious 12-6-elbow so either way it's a bad performance for him.

Didn't watch the video, but is this really true? 95% of judges haven't got the memo in that case.

Yamasaki missed the obvious 12-6-elbow so either way it's a bad performance for him.
Well, there's more to it than that. Can't really break it down in to cliff notes because he brings it up and comments on it a couple times.

Luke has a good program that he does for break down fights. If you don't watch it, it's worth looking into.

Also comments that a fight is stopped when a fighter stops intelligently defending themselves, and doesn't necessarily need a tap or to pass out.
yes ... from strikes. Doing nothing and letting a guy burn out his arms on a choke is a very intelligent defense.

You either tap or you go out or the fight continues.

Didn't watch the video, but is this really true? Most judges haven't got the memo in that case.

It's not true and you can see from Yamaski's face he knew he screwed up.

I am not hating on him though, I understand why he did what he did.

Well, there's more to it than that. Can't really break it down in to cliff notes because he brings it up and comments on it a couple times.

Luke has a good program that he does for break down fights. If you don't watch it, it's worth looking into.

John McCarthy said:

What is unfortunate is that @MoTownPhenom was booed for a phenomenal performance. That choke was TIGHT & was not being defended

Pretty vague answer, he should clarify what the rules are. Never seen a judge stop a fight because a fighter is not "intelligently defending" a submission. It usually only applies to strikes.

Who the hell needs a breakdown of that choke?

John McCarthy said:

Pretty vague answer, he should clarify what the rules are. Never seen a judge stop a fight because a fighter is not "intelligently defending" a submission. It usually only applies to strikes.

He gave a follow-up response essentially saying that the Yamasaki's stoppage didn't meet the criteria.

Luke hates his own whiteness.

Even if I were to ever agree with his opinions, I can't take anything he says seriously because his mind is so fucked and cucked it's not even funny.

Most race-baiting and biased journalist in all of MMA.

Fuck that guy

aed.gif

Luke hates his own whiteness.

Even if I were to ever agree with his opinions, I can't take anything he says seriously because his mind is so fucked and cucked it's not even funny.

Most race-baiting and biased journalist in all of MMA.

Fuck that guy
I'm guessing you only know of Luke from troll topics on sherdog?

He's incredibly knowledgeable on MMA, being acknowledged for his breakdowns by some notable fighters. Both Monday Morning Analyst and his Wednesday Live chat are good programs.

Pretty sure he's making that up. This would apply to defending strikes, not submission attempts.

John McCarthy said:

That's because judges can't stop fights

The ref did fine. Chiesa had given up defending himself. Letting yourself be choked out until your opponent burns his arms out is not intelligent defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back