Can Holloway stop Frankie's takedowns?

Typrune Goatley

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Can Max stop Frankie's takedowns?

Can Frankie hold Max down?

I feel like this is what the whole matchup comes down to...whether or not Edgar can impose his wrestling.

I don't think Max can stop it. I feel like Edgar's wrestling is too strong, too technical and too relentless for any Featherweight(besides Aldo).

Max might land a few punches on the feet but you can't flash KO Frankie. Frankie will eat the shots and enter the clinch where he will proceed to dirty box Max and then take him down. I predict two or three takedowns per round. I can see Max escaping after about a minute or two on the mat each time but I believe he will be brutally bludgeoned in the process.

I believe it will be a classic Frankie Edgar beat down: throwing a few punches, take you down, some GNP, let you back up, wash, rinse, repeat.

It will be difficult to go a full five rounds with such a young and in shape Max Holloway but if any 35 or 36 year old can do it it is Frankie Edgar.

But I actually predict a 4th or 5th Round TKO from GNP.

images-9.jpg

What do you think would happen in this matchup?

This is a great matchup. If Holloway can handle Frankie's wrestling I dunno who is gonna beat him at FW.

I'm leaning towards Holloway winning because I don't see him tiring under Frankie's pressure, his cardio is great and he is ten years younger than Frank.

I hope Frankie can pull this off though, this is probably his last chance at gold.

Does anyone know if Frankie is next for the title shot? Any word?

I just have a feeling Max stops Frankie. And yes, Max can stop and get up from Frankie's TDs.

Max keeps frankie outside shooting range all fight with his jab and superior footwork

I expect Frankie to use a lot of knee taps if they fight. If that fails then start chaining to single legs. If Max manages to keep it on the feet, then I see him out pointing Edgar.

At the very least Edgar needs to secure a takedown and keep Max there. If Frankie can't get the ground game going then he's in for a long night.

Edgar is tough and the threat of the takedown will make Max think twice. With the threat of TD, Edgar can land some nasty shots of his own.

Frankie will get him down a few times, but whether or not he can control max is a different question. Frankie will have to get max to respect either his striking, or his grappling in order for the other to work.

If Frankie has any success with wrestling--even short lived takedowns-- it will help Frankie's striking, which he will need.

I think frankie can land some td's but it won't be easy. max has good tdd. Awesome matchup. I favour max by a little, i like both fighters

I think Frankie will get him down, he chains wrestling very well and transition strikkng to TDs also very well.

Maxs long accurate boxing could fuck Frankie up though

I think max will win but you are right - the first round or two could be really tough for max

Can Max stop Frankie's takedowns?

Can Frankie hold Max down?
I mean, that's the question we all have and why everyone wants to see this fight.

Can Holloway catch Frankie with a strike? Idk

I really hope this is the next title fight at 145

This is a good match up for Frankie but I'm not gonna underestimate Max's TDD just like you're underestimating Frankie's boxing haha. I believe that Frankie will be able to get some take downs and this fight will probably go this distance. Hopefully with a UD in Frankie's favor

If Frankie has any success with wrestling--even short lived takedowns-- it will help Frankie's striking, which he will need.

Yes. I agree.

Historically, this has been the Frankie formula for success. A little bit of boxing mixed with constant takedowns. Frankie has never actually had to hold people down to win.

Perhap his opponents usually get back to their feet because they are usually much bigger than Edgar (especially at LW) and maybe he just doesn't want to waste energy breaking them back down. It seems like it is easier for Edgar to throw a combo, take you down, let you up, and repeat. Tried and proven process for Frankie to win decisions and championships.

Yes. I agree.

Historically, this has been the Frankie formula for success. A little bit of boxing mixed with constant takedowns. Frankie has never actually had to hold people down to win.

Perhap his opponents usually get back to their feet because they are usually much bigger than Edgar (especially at LW) and maybe he just doesn't want to waste energy breaking them back down. It seems like it is easier for Edgar to throw a combo, take you down, let you up, and repeat. Tried and proven process for Frankie to win decisions and championships.

His top control has actually improved a lot at 145lbs, so much so that I'd say he might be the worst 145lbrr to have on you in the division, but max is sneaky and lanky as fuck, so it will be difficult to control him for long.

I hope this fight happens.

Max will keep the fight standing, and most likely TKO Frankie.

I expect Frankie to use a lot of knee taps if they fight. If that fails then start chaining to single legs. If Max manages to keep it on the feet, then I see him out pointing Edgar.

At the very least Edgar needs to secure a takedown and keep Max there. If Frankie can't get the ground game going then he's in for a long night.

Edgar is tough and the threat of the takedown will make Max think twice. With the threat of TD, Edgar can land some nasty shots of his own.

Why do you expect Edgar to utilize the knee tap? I see ankle pick as being a lot more likely.

I think Frankie is too relentless for Max. Point fight and the occasional TDs ftw.

I think he would but he damage he would take in the process would be too much

Why do you expect Edgar to utilize the knee tap? I see ankle pick as being a lot more likely.
Max's frame and his kick output. It's also a great shot to turn into a scramble. Frankie thrives in those situations.

Not sure. His TDD hasnt really been tested by an elite wrestler since Bermudez.

Back