Weidman's style of fighting is horrible with his USADA gas tank

Platinum Bless

God's Gift
@Blue
Reaction score
Heavy pressure and constant wrestling in the 1st round, when the 2nd round starts he slows down incredibly. He needs to lessen his work output and focus on his striking, even though his wrestling is his best skill, it's clear he can no longer keep up the pace since the USADA era. What do you guys think?

I just think there are a lot of other more talented guys in his weight class. He's kinda great at wrestling, but just kinda average at everything else. Add that with his lack of stamina, and he just can't beat guys at the very top anymore.

Heavy pressure and constant wrestling in the 1st round, when the 2nd round starts he slows down incredibly. He needs to lessen his work output and focus on his striking, even though his wrestling is his best skill, it's clear he can no longer keep up the pace since the USADA era. What do you guys think?
Weidman slowing down? Drop a fight, bro. I ain't seeing that.

I just think there are a lot of other more talented guys in his weight class. He's kinda great at wrestling, but just kinda average at everything else. Add that with his lack of stamina, and he just can't beat guys at the very top anymore.
He's way better than average as a submission grappler, though he doesn't really force his grappling game onto people like you might expect he would with his no-gi background.

For example, he hardly ever initiates a chain of takedowns just to make scrambles happen, and instead relies on individual reactionary doubles to take the fight down. It's kind of odd since explosiveness is not his strongest suite, and along with timing, happens to be one of the key attributes in successfully employing a reactionary takedown style like that. Think GSP.

Roids gives you gas tank? Or IV? Or both?
Roids, or technically some of them, enable an athlete to train harder and longer and to potentially gain more benefits physiologically for every minute spent in training, while also reducing the risk of injury and making recovery from those said injuries faster. Reducing the time needed to rest for recovery allows for the athlete's training camp to cover more angles when it comes to peaking his or her's athletic potential.

In short, the most useful aspect of roiding in MMA is to increase the amount of time the athlete can train, in a sport that is already so demanding both skill and conditioning wise, and in which balancing the time spent honing different areas is a key focusing point for any top fighter.

Last edited:
Weidman has changed styles since USADA kicked in, adapting to a leaner build. He now doesn't have the same strength based, pressure always, takedown and top control approach. In fact, he is much more setting up things dynamically through his boxing. But it doesn't work, because he is not a good boxer, and without being able to pressure the takedown anymore, he just doesn't have anything particularly good to rely on offensively.

He is a clear case of someone whose entire style revolved around physical imposition. But that's the first thing to be affected once the juice is gone: strength and aggressiveness. Same with Ellenberger, and many others.

he was gaining momentum in the fight vs rockhold before he threw that stupid kick and subsequently got destroyed on the ground. so yeah that was post USADA.

He's way better than average as a submission grappler, though he doesn't really force his grappling game onto people like you might expect he would with his no-gi background.

For example, he hardly ever initiates a chain of takedowns just to make scrambles happen, and instead relies on individual reactionary doubles to take the fight down. It's kind of odd since explosiveness is not his strongest suite, and along with timing, happens to be one of the key attributes in successfully employing a reactionary takedown style like that. Think GSP.

Are you saying it's a problem with his coaching? That he'd possibly do better with new coaches and a better game plan? If so, I'd buy that... because the guy has not evolved at all.

i always said it but he isnt a great athlete despite his allaround skills and power

guys like Luke and specially Yoel are just far better athletically/physically

with Gegard there isnt much of an athletic difference but Gegard relies far less on physicality and more on technique/skills/fundamentals as u saw with the reversals and sweeps even after Chris got him down

Related media.

Urgh hard to watch. Guy puts any worst pain I've had or women giving birth to shame. Truly only the most iron skines individuals could possible get into that sport knowing what horrible things could potentially happen..

*shudders*

Are you saying it's a problem with his coaching? That he'd possibly do better with new coaches and a better game plan? If so, I'd buy that... because the guy has not evolved at all.
That's a difficult question.

It doesn't have to be an issue with his coaching specifically, 'cause you know, a lot of things aside from coaching come into play in what happens when any given individual steps into the cage against another. Coaches can only do so much. I'm not opposed to him trying out different things though - you never know if a switch in gears could function as a catalyst for a career resurgence.

I personally believe that at this point of Weidman's career, it's more about the mental side of things: he doesn't have the same confidence and hunger that drove him to achieving the things he did in wrestling, no-gi and MMA earlier on in his life. His body is also worn-down overtime, making training more of a struggle each passing year. He's a family man that's getting older, is on a losing streak, and is probably fine financially without fighting, so that's a factor for consideration aswell when speculating about his motivation.

I remember him slowing down in fights before he was champ. Guys need to stop claiming roofs for everything

He is done
Gonna be hard for him to get back to the top
But atleast he has been to the top
He should try lhw or go over to bellator hone his skills and take the belt over there then come back to ufc

Weidman/Romero was a close fight until that knee from hell. And Mousasi/Weidman was a close fight with a strange ending. You're talking about him like he's Hendricks who can't even make weight at 185 now.

I don't see this at all. Weidman fought so much differently back then compared to now.

Back