Why do people act like guys who have never been champs are MMA legends?

MMAislife69

natural heavyweight
@Orange
Reaction score
How can you be a legend if you weren't even the best at any point in your career? Seriously it seems like any fighter that had a long career becomes a legend when they retire.

And what about fans calling guys that maybe had one or two titles defenses legends. That's almost as bad. What a low standard to have. Legends are people who dominated.

In Tennis, Federer is a legend. Tsonga is not, despite being usually in the top 5 for most of his career.

Are you one of those people? Note I am not including any specific fighters in the OP to avoid any fighter bashing.

Tsonga has one grand slam title? I don't think Tsonga is either.

Do you think David Ferrer or Andy Roddick are legends?

Also which MMA legend are you talking about that has never won a belt?

I don't know. It's the easiest sport to become GOAT. Everyday we have a new GOAT.

People have different opinions about things that are subjective.

The cutpoint for what constitutes being a legend is subjective.

Hope that helps.

TS name one non-champ who's considered a legend by most experts

Saku's the only one I can think of off the top of my head and even he technically won a UFC tourny

Anybody particular that you have in mind ? A blanket statement with ZERO context.

Throw out a cpl names. Then the ppl will tell you if they consider them a legend, or not. Naming fighters is not fighter bashing.

And, without names. The whole thing is just silly.

War Machine
Chael Sonnen
Hendo (UFC)
Kimbo Slice
Don Frye
Pedro Rizzo
Renzo

All Legends IMO.

How can you be a legend if you weren't even the best at any point in your career? Seriously it seems like any fighter that had a long career becomes a legend when they retire.

And what about fans calling guys that maybe had one or two titles defenses legends. That's almost as bad. What a low standard to have. Legends are people who dominated.

In Tennis, Federer is a legend. Tsonga is not, despite being usually in the top 5 for most of his career.

Are you one of those people? Note I am not including any specific fighters in the OP to avoid any fighter bashing.

Never "champ"

20091027125818_2009102502042.JPG

Tell me this guy is not a legend. I dare you.

824495e7c297da76b0528a47f3cea6fe93cb78035b4fe44fb2458bff379502be.jpg

War Machine
Chael Sonnen
Hendo (UFC)
Kimbo Slice
Don Frye
Pedro Rizzo
Renzo

All Legends IMO.
Good call on Chael Sonnen, the American Gangster.

MMA Legend. Promoter Legend. Real Estate Legend. Brazilian Hunter Legend (Chael Van Helsing). Most prominent Gangster since Al Capone. WEC Legend. UFC Legend. Bellator Legend. Podcast Legend.

The Bad Guy is a legend among legends. He puts the Excalibur legend to shame.

War Machine
Chael Sonnen
Hendo (UFC)
Kimbo Slice
Don Frye
Pedro Rizzo
Renzo

All Legends IMO.

War Machine a legend? What is wrong with you? All rest i can agree that in some way they are mythical creatures in MMA communities but War Machine? Go to a doctor bro.

People like to remember people they enjoyed fondly. They might be using the wrong word for it but I'd rather that than we just forget all the journeymen and gatekeepers who help make the sport what it is

Kyle Maynard
Lee Murray
Crazy Horse
Tank Fucking Abbott

Back