We Need A Working Definition Of Ducking

Mikey Palangio

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
that we can all agree with. We can't just say turning down a fight means "ducking." Because I assume we are all intelligent adults who have some understanding of the fight game.

For example, I believe Clay Guida could challenge Conor McGregor for the belt and actually beat him. If he is not KO in the Rd1 and Mid-way Rd2, Conor will have a serious problem in his hands.

But will Conor be "ducking" if Clay Guida called him out on Tweeter? Of course not.

So, I think it can only be called "ducking" if you turn down a fighter
(1) In your preferred weight-class. A fighter in a bigger weight division can't say a smaller fighter is "ducking" him. Just like a fighter in a smaller weight division can't say a bigger fighter is "ducking" him
(2) On the same career trajectory. A fighter who is beginning to catch the limelight has the right to turn down a bottom feeder who wants the shine to rub on him. Create your own buzz first, then start calling out more popular fighters. A fighter who is on the cusp of a title shot has the right to turn down bottom feeders trying to distract his ascent. A champion has the right to turn down bottom feeders.

These 2 conditions have to be met before we can start REASONABLY (I know some people prefer being idiots) using the "ducking" word.

Thoughts.

"Ducking" is avoiding a legit no: 1 contender and/or refusing to defend your title.

See: Conor

It should be required to fight the number 1 contender before any "money fights"

There is no consensus if DJ ducked TJ, although TJ is my favorite fighter I do not believe that was ducking

"Ducking" is faking a retirement to get out of USADA testings.

"Ducking" is avoiding a legit no: 1 contender and/or refusing to defend your title.

Fighting all contenders at short notice, gunning for the ten year champ, destroying him and jumping weight classes, jumping back in with the guy who beat you, then destroying the champ at that weight class then going to challenge the P4P greatest boxer for $100mill screams ducker to me.

Hahaaaa ya big dummy.

A champion refusing to fight a long time clear cut no.1 contender would be one end of the spectrum, but where do you draw the line?

Ducking - the act of intentionally avoiding the most obviously deserving challenger in order to take on a lesser challenge or to not fight at all

Conor McGregor's picture should be attached to the definition.

A champion refusing to fight a long time clear cut no.1 contender would be one end of the spectrum, but where do you draw the line?
If a fighter has been the consensus #1 contender(or possibly second or third, if the champ has already beaten the top contender), for more than one fight, and the champ simply refuses to fight them.

So, you partly agree. Same weight class and same career trajectory. But I don't think 'ducking' should be restricted to championship fights.

Fighting all contenders at short notice, gunning for the ten year champ, destroying him and jumping weight classes, jumping back in with the guy who beat you, then destroying the champ at that weight class then going to challenge the P4P greatest boxer for $100mill screams ducker to me.

Hahaaaa ya big dummy.
So, what are your suggestion for a working definition?

We need to agree or this is just childish nonsense. It is entertaining at first, and then quickly becomes retarded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back