BJ's still got some fight In him

MescalineDreams

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought he looked pretty good for 38. Jab was there, his boxing was still sorta there..although a little more sloppy.

I think conditioning was the biggest factor In this fight. He was just DEAD In that 3rd round, gas tank was gone.

I'd like to see him In there again with some less kick heavy opponents with awkward styles tbh.

but ya, he's still got some fight In him. Nice to see at least. Warrior till the end

I agree. He has at least 3 big fights left in him. Dude is only getting started.

Nah, even after all his Marinovich training he still was gassed by the 3rd.

You can only get by on beer and hot dogs for so long before that shit catches up with you.

He's so used to losing by the end of the 2nd round that he didn't train for 3 rounds...

He didn't do shit. Only way that performance could have been any worse would have been if he shat his pants like Kish.

Dude BJ looked bad. He should never fight again. He has nothing left.

Siver needs to retire too. Both are shells of their former selves and should retire

He didn't do shit. Only way that performance could have been any worse would have been if he shat his pants like Kish.
Sure he did. Other than the 3rd round It was a close fight. Even the first was somewhat close.

His conditioning wasn't up to par but he showed he's still got some fight left In him for a 38 year old.

Siver needs to retire too. Both are shells of their former selves and should retire

Agree. All though I thought Siver looked good overall. His cardio was on point, high output of punches, kicks, spinning shit, etc. I thought he could have even finished BJ in the third. Good win for him to retire on.

Bad relative to his prime self? Sure. It's to be expected. If you're just looking at the 3rd round, you could say he looked bad too. But, he was just dead tired.

The rest of the fight though, he didn't look that bad objectively speaking. Other than the 3rd, It was very close all throughout. His jab was still there, boxing was still there a bit. He even dropped him / ended up on top. He definitely has some fight In him still, provided you put him In there with the right opponents.

BJ is done...I mean fucking done. He had top control for close to two minutes in the second, and did NOTHING. We have to let him go, or else we'll get Penn vs fucking Matt Riddle in some backwoods shit hole. Let. The. Man. Go.

Nah, even after all his Marinovich training he still was gassed by the 3rd.

You can only get by on beer and hot dogs for so long before that shit catches up with you.
As a huge(read: fat) BJ Penn fan, It's painful, but I agree. Marinovich was his last, best shot at getting his youthful physicality back and it failed. Unfortunately, you can't age gracefully after the fact. Also, unfortunately, raw talent fades quickly with age, and BJ nearly always relied on that raw talent. Now that it isn't there, he's got no foundation and he's losing to a guy (Siver) that he would have toasted, no sweat, when they were both in their respective primes..

Bjs next coach

tenor.gif

double retirement fight on the japan card against gomi. i like that idea. both are done. let them get in there and no matter the outcome, both retire.

He looked horrible. Sad to see that deer in the headlights look every time his opponent throw strikes at him. Half the strikes Siver missed were just his inaccuracy rather than BJ blocking or evading.... his reaction time is so damn slow.

Oddest of all, Penn doesn't even look like he WANT to be in there. Allegedly he came back because he just loves fighting so much.... but then he gets in there and looks like he wants out after a minute.

If he can't beat an equally past their prime, smaller fighter coming off a 2 year layoff then who can he beat? Nobody. Just retire BJ.

One of my favorites and he always will be, but it's been embarrassing for a while. He should stop.

Bad relative to his prime self? Sure. It's to be expected. If you're just looking at the 3rd round, you could say he looked bad too. But, he was just dead tired.

The rest of the fight though, he didn't look that bad objectively speaking. Other than the 3rd, It was very close all throughout. His jab was still there, boxing was still there a bit. He even dropped him / ended up on top. He definitely has some fight In him still, provided you put him In there with the right opponents.
Sorry, but that's just not right. I missed the first round, so he may have looked good there. But literally, the only time he looked good was the one good punch that landed. He was gassed when round 2 started and was too tired to finish a very hurt Siver.

He was just DEAD In that 3rd round, gas tank was gone.

What? He was gassed by the beginning of the second round. Why do you think he couldn't do anything with the side control he had on Siver? He could have easily freed his arm and worked to get the mount, but he just laid there to catch his breath after a round and a half of a normal paced fight. Penn was severely out-struck from round one, landed one good uppercut and looked like garbage the rest of the fight.

Penn should retire asap. Its getting embarassing

Last edited:
Back