Chiesa: I fought the best grapplers @LW, they all had my back in round 1...

Maybe don't fight a submission by pretending to go limp?

Ref did not get the memo and Chiesa gave ref to much room to make that decision by pausing with his hands outstretched doing nothing-what part of the escape plan was that ? Playing possum kind of risky in MMA.

Next time show a thumbs up or continue grabbing or something.

I'm very sure the fight was over, but Yamasaki fucked up. Chiesa would have likely been tapping or sleeping very soon. Regardless, Lee might be the only guy deadlier than Chiesa when in backmount.

Already posted this in another thread but damn, this really makes me think the choke was not as bad as it looked.
(No pressure on the left side of Chiesa's neck, hands aren't fully locked, Lee's back jammed up against the cage, forearm on the windpipe...which sucks but wont make you tap)
There is a lot of wiggle room there. It's just one pic but I'm pretty sure it was from just before the stoppage.
usa_today_10131686.1498449818.jpg

Already posted this in another thread but damn, this really makes me think the choke was not as bad as it looked.
(No pressure on the left side of Chiesa's neck, hands aren't fully locked, Lee's back jammed up against the cage, forearm on the windpipe...which sucks but wont make you tap)
There is a lot of wiggle room there. It's just one pic but I'm pretty sure it was from just before the stoppage.

That shows nothing. Seconds later when his hands start to shake away from Lee's arms is the point of stoppage.

Good analysis, but the truth is that a moment later Lee straightened his position out and tightened his grip. Chiesa threw the brainless hands up reaction. He was going out.

There is a lot of wiggle room there.

The problem is that Chisea wasn't wiggling and offered no real defense. It was still a fuck up by Yamasaki though, if only because it sets a dangerous precedent of ending fights before they are well and truly finished.

I'm no fan of Yamasaki but he did the right thing imo. We can spend all day looking at the replay over and over but the ref doesn't really have a lot of time to judge whether the guy can escape or not and must make quick a decision quick in the heat of the moment to preserve the fighter's health.

It's on the fighter to show the ref he is fine and flailing your arms doesn't really help one's case.

The problem is that Chisea wasn't wiggling and offered no real defense.

Chokes outcome are supposed to be either tap or nap.
"No real defense" is not a reason to stop a fight in this case.

Ref did not get the memo and Chiesa gave ref to much room to make that decision by pausing with his hands outstretched doing nothing-what part of the escape plan was that ? Playing possum kind of risky in MMA.

Next time show a thumbs up or continue grabbing or something.
Come on bro. Everybody who tranes knows about "possum hands". He was about 3 seconds from escaping and securing mount based on the gif.

I'm no fan of Yamasaki but he did the right thing imo. We can spend all day looking at the replay over and over but the ref doesn't really have a lot of time to judge whether the guy can escape or not and must make quick a decision quick in the heat of the moment to preserve the fighter's health.

Yep, Yamasaki made a quick and WRONG decision. Made a mistake that made a dusty outcome of a fight.

Flailing arms? OK? So he should've let Chiesa go to sleep. Just like it's supposed to work in MMA.

4.gif

Shut the fuck up

Dude, I understand that your additional weight and total insignificance in real life makes you act like a tough guy on the internetz - however, can you at least slightly contribute to the topic?

Masvidal has totally underrated ground game, and he showed it numerous times... and?

Dude, I understand that your additional weight and total insignificance in real life makes you act like a tough guy on the internetz - however, can you at least slightly contribute to the topic?

Masvidal has totally underrated ground game, and he showed it numerous times... and?

He had 0 chance of getting out of that choke. Few more seconds and he'd have been out.

The choke wasn't as bad as shertards think .. chiesa most likely felt lee's arms giving out , plus the choke wasn't locked in that great and he triangle wasn't correct either .. chiesa was playing possum and was about to attempt to burst out of it. Either way= we all lose

Back