Eh, pretty sure I saw Chiesa go out

lopan

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I thought it was an early stoppage too, but after they replayed it, it looked like Chiesa went out / limp. I think the ref caught it immediately and stopped it..

Assuming that's an early stoppage, what's the actual criteria for stopping a fight off a choke if they don't tap? Should he have waited a few seconds longer? Do you have to be totally asleep or something? Honest question.

(Irregardless I think Chiesa was fucked - and I was rooting for him)

edit here's the stoppage:

good thing you're not a MMA ref.

Usually they grab the arm to see if the fighter is responsive. Mario was in perfect position to do that, he blew that one.

He did look like he was out it was just for a split second and he snapped out it it super fast

He didn't go out. He immediately protested the result.

But I do think Lee had the fight won. Here's the thing, though: It doesn't matter what it looks like when there's a choke submission. It's up to Chiesa to tap, go to sleep, or shit himself.

He didn't go out. He immediately protested the result.

But I do think Lee had the fight won. Here's the thing, though: It doesn't matter what it looks like when there's a choke submission. It's up to Chiesa to tap, go to sleep, or shit himself.
Why not all 3?

He was for sure going out if he didn't already.

Stoppage was a little early but Mike was done either way.

Terrible early stopage. That being said his arms looked like he was on the way to lala land and very sure he was gonna go sleep. If ref waits 2 secs longer we have nothing to talk about.

I thought it was an early stoppage too, but after they replayed it, it looked like Chiesa went out / limp. I think the ref caught it immediately and stopped it..

Assuming that's an early stoppage, what's the actual criteria for stopping a fight off a choke if they don't tap? Should he have waited a few seconds longer? Do you have to be totally asleep or something? Honest question.

(Irregardless I think Chiesa was fucked - and I was rooting for him)

edit here's the stoppage:

He should have wiggled his wrist to check then stop it.

He was going out

But he wasn't out.

I've explained this a dozen times tonight. In submission finishes, the ref can only stop the fight if the fighter taps or loses consciousness completely.

'Going out' doesn't count.

It's not like when a fighter is being beat on and the ref uses his judgement to guage if the fighter is intelligently defending himself.

With submissions, there's a tap, or a fighter goes limp. Without one of these two, it's a bad stoppage.

Did the brasilian tap with both hands looked like he was about to sleep so the ref pulled kevin off.

Chiesa didn't tap out nor did he pass out from the choke.

Was fighting the hands and was just had his hands off for a sec to try to adjust and thats when Yamasaki decided to stop the fight.

Was nothing but incompetentance or possible corruption from Yamasaki.

I think the choke was cut off at the exact right moment, had Lee held onto it longer Chiesa would have gone out. Fuck though still sucks when fights end like the way that one did.

Back