Anyone else feel a little bad for Gray Maynard?

G

Guestx

The dude goes 10-0. Then gets a draw in a championship fight that he very nearly won.

And then immediately goes 2-6 and is on the verge of getting cut.

Personality-wise, I never was a big fan of the guy. But that is just fucking rough. It's amazing how quickly fortunes can change in this sport.

He seems like one of those dudes that should think about walking away. He's fallen to the complete bottom of the division and is taking lots of damage.

I can't feel sorry for any dude with a tramp stamp. It's just a policy.

I can't feel sorry for any dude with a tramp stamp. It's just a policy.
Does he tell people "Bro I got that back when tramp stamps were cool for guys to get."
"Uh, Gray, they were never cool for guys."

I'm not sure I feel bad

He had a good run, it's over now he should hang em up and do something else. It will happen to every single person who fights eventually provided they aren't smart enough to retire first

He almost made it to the top. Good for him he had a good career and should be proud of himself. Going on a skid at the end of your career just kind of happens in this sport to some people

I don't, he is choosing to continue to fight. With that said I have zero interest in seeing him continue to get hit. I remember seeing an interview and the change in speech was noticeable, how does he get licensed?

I'm not sure I feel bad

He had a good run, it's over now he should hang em up and do something else. It will happen to every single person who fights eventually provided they aren't smart enough to retire first

He almost made it to the top. Good for him he had a good career and should be proud of himself. Going on a skid at the end of your career just kind of happens in this sport to some people

Yes, but having that skid come after only 10 fights seems like unusually bad luck. I mean, think about it, Wanderlei Silva fought last night. He didn't start seeing losses on the regular until nearly 40 fights into his career.

Definitely a tale of two careers, like Kerr or Pulver or Sapp.

he got into MMA very late, if i remember correctly he stopped training after college wrestling and then walked into the MMA gym at 27 years old, had his pro debut a few months later, then like a year later he was on TUF

if it werent for bad judging, he wouldve been lightweight champ

he did well considering that he took 5 years of his prime off

It's the nature of the sport. You win some and lose some.

He ran into a man made of iron. Frankie" The Chad Mendes" Edgar.

Yes, but having that skid come after only 10 fights seems like unusually bad luck. I mean, think about it, Wanderlei Silva fought last night. He didn't start seeing losses on the regular until nearly 40 fights into his career.

Shit happens man. At least he made it to the top of the mountain even if they didn't hand him the belt. He fought the world champ and didn't lose. More than almost anyone else in the world can say.

Plus he turned his pastime of amateur wrestling into a career. Not many people get to do what they love for a living he has for years and if he decides to coach (which he can if he wants) he'll be able to do it for many more. Nothing to feel bad about

Not like he wasted his potential either he went as far as his ability was going to take him. Good for Gray

tumblr_m67os6Sxkd1ry1rm7o1_r1_400.gif

It shows how little value winning has in MMA. It is all about beating the right opponent at the right time.

You can be on an 11 fight winning streak and carry the belt, but the fans will say a fighter who was choked out, won a close rematch and was awarded a title shot versus a guy who was only 3-1 in the UFC, is the greatest fighter of all time.

It is about beating the right guy at the right time.

I don't feel bad for wrasslers or blankets.

they deserve what they get.

Feel a little bad for him, because he let the title slip out of his hands with Edgar I. He was that close to always being a champion. Its why I was happy to see Bisping make it to the top, even though he's a jerk. He really earned it, only to fall short time after time because the guys he was fighting liked putting needles in their ass. Bisping would've been remembered only as a contender, had he not tuned up Rockhold on a week's notice. Same with Maynard. He could've always been a UFC champ; instead he is just another guy who fought for the title.

He has had 2 exciting fights and both were against Frankie Edgar. That being said, BOTH of those fights could have easily been stopped by the ref with him winning the title. Before and after those Edgar fights he has put on some of the most boring and uninspired fights I've seen in the octagon.

Back