Should the ref be allowed to stop the action because of a Non-Facial injury?

xMaxPower

Red Belt
Reaction score
Like for cuts near the eye... thats understandable.

But for an ankle injury or any body injury, I say it should be up to the fighter. At first I was cringing every time his ankle would roll, but when I saw that he still wanted to fight like the warrior he is, I wanted the fight to go on. Makes for great TV... imagine if he somehow won with that injury? Would have been one of the greatest things I've ever seen in MMA.

Nah. Mike Chandler almost caught Primus too

Unless there's a bone sticking out, keep it going

Injury is an injury. The ref should be allowed to stop the fight and have the doctors check the injury if he feels the need to. It makes no sense to stop it from legal strike resulting in a cut vs other types of injuries

Nah. Mike Chandler almost caught Primus too

Unless there's a bone sticking out, keep it going

There was a good chance chandler could have gotten a bone sticking out situation if he continued to fight with that injury.

Chandler was finished. The referee saved him from himself, and probably prolonged his career. He was going to lose and possibly further damage that ankle.

He should have pulled guard and remained in bottom position until the bell. That would have given his ankle a good 3 to 4 minutes to get better.

That is what grappling is for. Self-defense and taking breaks.

Wasn't his ankle flopping? Good stoppage so he can entertain you at a later date instead of a career ending injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, definitely - stoppage should have came earlier, honestly.

I think more importantly a title shouldn't change hands over an injury tko and should just go down as a non-title win; especially when there isn't a single round to score. An unintended but illegal foul can end a match where its at and be judged to that point. Perhaps the same should go for injury stoppages when the injury wasn't suffered by an opposing strike and if there is no round to score then it's a NC. Not only that, the fact there's a chance Primus defends against someone else before Chandler's healed and ready just sucks.

Last edited:
People who say that we should let the fighter fight don't think about the damage that an injury like that can do for the rest of your life.

The 2nd or 3 time that Chandler ankle rolled, the ref should have called it

The ref is there to protect the fighter you goof. Of course the fighter wants to continue, hes a fighter. Did you expect him to curl up in the fetal position and suck his thumb?

the stop was fine, it wasnt mid action, and the docs made the right call

Anderson Silva should have continued against Weidman in their second match

It's not just about further damage of the injury itself. Injuries can make the fighter too susceptible to other damage. A problem with eye cuts / swelling is the fighter might not be able to see punches coming. A problem with an arm injury might be the inability to properly defend against punches. Bad ankle can leave you a sitting duck.

Stop it before he ruins his career completely and let the guy fight another day. He was done.

Refs job is to protect the fighters when the fighters won't do it themselves.

it was a good stoppage.

But I just fucking hate Primus for cheering, just like he did something to win this fight.
All he did was get punched in the face.

Injury is an injury. The ref should be allowed to stop the fight and have the doctors check the injury if he feels the need to. It makes no sense to stop it from legal strike resulting in a cut vs other types of injuries
I agree, it doesn't really makes sense to check a cut but not check other injuries

I also hate that fighters are given 5 minutes to recover when low blowed but are not given any allowed time to recover after an eye poke, that rule is really stupid.

They should. Refs are suppose to protect the fighter. With an injury like Chandler and Varner's back then they mostly are going to lose anyways. Why let the fighter who won't give up risk possible permanent damage.

I agree, it doesn't really makes sense to check a cut but not check other injuries

I also hate that fighters are given 5 minutes to recover when low blowed but are not given any allowed time to recover after an eye poke, that rule is really stupid.

I agree. That needs to be changed. A foul is a foul.

They've always stopped for injuries

Why do you think armbars finish fights

Back