What would it take for you to stop watching MMA?

L0ki

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Just thinking about it and I must say, I'm not only a fight fan but I'm also a fan of the fighters.

I'm not going to watch fights for the sake of watching them. It's more dependent on who is actually fighting.

Whether it's UFC or Bellator, a lot of posters have been clamoring for certain fighters to retire.

By far and wide, my favorite fighters are in their mid to late 30's, 40's or are already retired.

It's no secret that sans TRT a lot of these fighters are shells, so when you couple all these things together and it seems that watching MMA forever isn't likely but that's just speculation.

What would it take or when do you think you'll stop watching MMA?

Taking away the professionalism of fighting, no respect between fighters, giving big names title shots (so money is the motivation and not experience), and turning on the drama way above professionalism...it's already making me lose interest in the new MMA.

Probably when Shogun retires for good... will still watch somehow but its not gonna be the same :(

Taking away the professionalism of fighting, no respect between fighters, giving big names title shots (so money is the motivation and not experience), and turning on the drama way above professionalism...it's already making me lose interest in the new MMA.

Hopefully, it's just a trend that Cloner is bringing about and it will come and go the same way Ken Shamrock, Chuck Liddell, TUF, Honda, etc. all brought in some casual fans that came and went.

I'd stop watching if they banned punches to the face..

Last edited:
If it became obviously fixed/rigged.

As your favorites get older, it's harder to watch because the majority of fighters definitely don't quit while they're ahead and you usually end up seeing them get the shit kicked out of them in their older years.

Probably when Shogun retires for good... will still watch somehow but its not gonna be the same :(

Definitely glad that he's winning but Holy Hel....

he's so far removed from prime. After the 3 knee surgeries, his movement is almost completely gone.

It's tough to say because he has been winning but his next fight is going to have to be against someone that's pretty damn good.

He can't just keep winning, be in the top 10 and not fight someone really solid eventually.

He regained form after his first surgery but I think the 3rd may have had his number on it.

Shogun hasn't been the same for several years now.

Glad he is winning, though.

If they start pulling that wwe bullshit that bellator is doing

Ever since the UFC has watered down their titles (i.e. pimped them out for a quick buck) I've stopped watching MMA as much as I used to.

I used to make sure I made time in my schedule to catch just about every UFC event live, now I hardly catch PPVs unless they're stacked and a few FN cards.

No real point of watching a pseudo sport with no real incentives for fighters to win and determining the TRUE #1 Fighter per division by matching the best with the best.

<seedat>

Definitely glad that he's winning but Holy Hel....

he's so far removed from prime. After the 3 knee surgeries, his movement is almost completely gone.

It's tough to say because he has been winning but his next fight is going to have to be against someone that's pretty damn good.

He can't just keep winning, be in the top 10 and not fight someone really solid eventually.

He regained form after his first surgery but I think the 3rd may have had his number on it.

Shogun hasn't been the same for several years now.

Glad he is winning, though.
actually when shogun broke his arm, he was not the same guy when he came back... than the knee injuries just shut him even more... still love the guy though.

What would it take or when do you think you'll stop watching MMA?

giphy.gif

For the sport to be deemed illegal.

Also if they continue stopping fights early that might cause me to stop watching certain organizations.

Was just thinking about a death in MMA.

Several years back, I said I would stop watching if we saw someone die in the cage but who knows....

Tim Hague just died and as much as it sucks, I don't think it will impede boxing in the slightest.

There is a few interesting younger fighters. Rory MacDonald for instance is somebody I like that could still fight for another 5-10 years and do well.
But I think there is less memorable fighters coming up. Maybe we just need to watch more of their fights. More fights need to be made.
I think one thing we had back in the day that we lack now is the best fighters fighting 2-3 times a year. With the 2 times/year being almost exactly every 6 months then. Now it's more like once every 10 months or something. I don't know, I feel like we get to watch the good fights more seldom and the best fights aren't always made.

Interest goes up and down but more down than up, so eventually I might just quit watching.
If Fedor or somebody like that dies in the ring because they keep having old guy fights I might get sick of watching for a good while. Something sad and disgusting like that might do it.

I don't like WMMA much either. So the cards with several WMMA fights are cards with less good fights for me, which makes the events feel less stacked and fun.

When I lose interest.

Because I am critically open minded, there are always interesting match-ups coming up. It is easier to enjoy when you don't need to be "In love" with a fighter to be interested in a fight.

I am looking forward to Lee vs Chiesa. Chiesa is a big dude. Lee is going to feel his power, and Lee will have to prove if he is a star or just another "Larenz Larkin or Ryan Bader," people who are just middle of the pack, but think they should have a higher ranking.

Holly Holm vs Nunes/Zingano is another interesting match-up. Maia vs Woodley. There are too many interesting match-ups coming up.

Stop being "in love" with individual fighters, and just enjoy the sport with a critical open-mind.

There is a few interesting younger fighters. Rory MacDonald for instance is somebody I like that could still fight for another 5-10 years and do well.
But I think there is less memorable fighters coming up. Maybe we just need to watch more of their fights. More fights need to be made.
I think one thing we had back in the day that we lack now is the best fighters fighting 2-3 times a year. With the 2 times/year being almost exactly every 6 months then. Now it's more like once every 10 months or something. I don't know, I feel like we get to watch the good fights more seldom and the best fights aren't always made.

Interest goes up and down but more down than up, so eventually I might just quit watching.
If Fedor or somebody like that dies in the ring because they keep having old guy fights I might get sick of watching for a good while. Something sad and disgusting like that might do it.

I don't like WMMA much either. So the cards with several WMMA fights are cards with less good fights for me, which makes the events feel less stacked and fun.

An aspect that really sucks about the UFC is that they don't allow a fighter promotion unless they are in an upcoming fight.

Pride allowed for fighters to do vids, interviews, etc. whenever they pleased, so we really got to know the fighters well.

A good example is Reem. The Reem documentary is awesome and he would just pump them out. Now, he has to adhere to UFC and can't just slam them out unless he has an upcoming fight.

The familiarity that was allowed with Pride isn't being allowed for the newer fighters and it's hurting both of them.

A lot of these new fighters come in the octagon and everyone is just like "Who da fook?"

It would be beneficial for UFC to just cut fighters loose and say "promote whenever you want" and see which stars emerge.

No doubt we would have some fighters really shining in the public eye.

Blindness.

Blindness would definitely stop me from watching MMA.

And most anything else for that matter.

Back