who gave wanderlei his black belt?

thewhiterooster

dana hates sunscreen
@Brown
Reaction score
just curious who gave wanderlei his black belt. it's hard to believe he's a "black belt":. I've watched wanderlei fight his whole career, but I've never seen any bjj skills beyond purple belt level.

I don't believe ANY fighter who seldom goes to the ground is professional competition BJJ black belt. That is why I questioned if Jose Aldo was even a black belt BJJ. I hardly see him on the ground.

If you don't use it, you lose it.

Forget Wand, who gave Chinzo Machida, the guy who tapped out to a 20 year-old kid in like a minute after offering little to no resistance, his black belt?

There is a lot more to BJJ than submitting people. He is obviously on a downhill now but back in the day he used it a lot to scramble back to his feet whenever he was taken down. He's also never been submitted in his career for a reason.

I don't believe ANY fighter who seldom goes to the ground is professional competition BJJ black belt. That is why I questioned if Jose Aldo was even a black belt BJJ. I hardly see him on the ground.

If you don't use it, you lose it.
Alot of truth in that statement

Forget Wand, who gave Chinzo Machida, the guy who tapped out to a 20 year-old kid in like a minute after offering little to no resistance, his black belt?

are you referring to chinzo's karate black belt? if so, who cares. karate black belts are about as hard to get as getting a 2.0 gpa in junior high. it's not very impressive. to anyone

There are a lot of good bjj guys that hardly ever use it in mma.

are you referring to chinzo's karate black belt? if so, who cares. karate black belts are about as hard to get as getting a 2.0 gpa in junior high. it's not very impressive. to anyone

No, I'm talking about the BJJ black belt Goldie or Jimmy Smith referred to.

There's not a lot of stuff written about Chinzo out there, but they refer to him as a BJJ black belt here, too.

Wand has never been subbed as far as I can remember.
Despite losing decisions on the ground, I don't remember him receiving damage or opponents holding dominant positions on him.

just curious who gave wanderlei his black belt. it's hard to believe he's a "black belt":. I've watched wanderlei fight his whole career, but I've never seen any bjj skills beyond purple belt level.
Fighters stay the same all their career? Wanderlei has 50 mma matches, And many amateur matches before that. If I am not mistaken, he has never been submitted before. And he was coming off a 4 year layoff!

You need to be limber and good with mental strategy to be a master at bjj. short limbs like ken shamrocks dont help. it's also bad if you have an elite wrestler with good top control on top of you.

If you can't translate your bjj background into MMA your groundgame could still be useless. Two different things. How many times has Wanderlei submitted people?

Back