At the time of the first UFC + the gracies (BJJ) the Russians already had modern MMA or combat sambo

BringBackTRTforFairness

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Were the gracies really the best guys in the world at that time??

Or would the best guys in Combat sambo who were already wrestling, throwing submitting, defending TD, kicking boxing and clinch striking. Would those guys have REALLY been the best and not the gracies?

I think the reason Fedor did so well is because he was the only one doing modern fully integrated MMA while everyone was still mixing 2 styles poorly or staying with 1 style or had a 1 style that was modified against grappling etc

So guys were growing up as kids doing combat sambo or modern MMA and we are only now supposed to be witnessing a crop of new blood that has had kids training MMA since childhood.

Sorry that was happening ages ago, and the gracies were not the best in the world the champions in combat sambo where they were much more complete fighters and had a deeper pool of competition to fight against.

I mean Fedor might have even been competing in combat sambo when the gracies were supposedly number 1 in the world. If not it would have been someone almost as good as Fedor.

I noticed the gracies had a lot of trouble with a Sanshou fighter because they have takedown defence and throws and striking, I think a combat sambo guy with a bigger grappling skill set using open hands not boxing gloves (takedowns and TDD) and better submission defence would have been too much for a gracie fighter

A drunken pro wrestler in a diaper was too much for the Gracies.

Pankration in Ancient Greece precedes Sambo by a couple thousand years. It is the original mixed martial art.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pankration

There are modern-day studentss of Pankration in the UFC, such as Mighty Mouse and Khabib.

Jiu Jitsu started in Japan is what a lot of people don't know is another interesting point.
The first real MMA fight Royce Gracie was in Matt Hughs beat the ever living shit out of him

Jiu Jitsu started in Japan is what a lot of people don't know is another interesting point.
The first real MMA fight Royce Gracie was in Matt Hughs beat the ever living shit out of him

<Kobe213>
Don't rustle jimmies, just for the sake of rustling jimmies.

Pankration in Ancient Greece precedes Sambo by a couple thousand years. It is the original mixed martial art.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pankration

There are modern-day practitioners of Pankration in the UFC, such as Mighty Mouse and Khabib.

probably wasn't enough to cope with a gracie though like their most formidable strike was a teep ffs a push kick, the wrestling would have been primitive the punching too, not that great I bet

Its certainly not in the same league as combat sambo with modern striking wrestling judo , kicking and subs

ANYWAY THIS IS WERE THE GRACIES REALLY THE BEST IN THE WORLD AT THE TIME? OR WAS IT THE CHAMPIONS IN COMBAT SAMBO?

(Not when was MMA first invented, because mixing styles has probably happened a lot in human history, maybe before the greeks) pretty sure Egyptians were punching and grappling too according to the hieroglyphics, and that's just the recorded stuff lots is lost in history

Last edited:
To answer your question a simple answer is 'yes'... '

I think the notable Gracies really were the best fighters in their field during their time. Against the depth of talent out there today, I think the "UFC vets" struggle hugely against modern competition. The "so-called" modern fighters are massively lacking in striking precision and overall pedigree as compared to their better skilled competitors. These 'amateur fighters' who have recently suffered the loss of a championship belt, don't seem to know much better.

I think the reason Fedor did so well is because he was the only one doing modern fully integrated MMA while everyone was still mixing 2 styles poorly or staying with 1 style or had a 1 style that was modified against grappling etc

Yes I agree. I remember guys were growing up as kids doing combat sambo or modern MMA and we are only now supposed to be witnessing a crop of new blood that has had kids training general MMA since childhood. Think we need to give it another 10 years before we assess it properly.

Sorry the family drama was happening ages ago, and the gracies clearlyt the best in the world and champions in sambo at the time, where they were much more complete fighters and had a deeper pool of competition to fight against - within their own team.

This casual/whitebelt appears to have put some thought into the thread, but missed some important facts.

It is called trolling. When you are trolling while fishing, you are waiting for something to bite. Not much different.

but you never get a forever alone fish that bites and wants to be put in your boat and tries to jump back in when you let him go, be careful who you troll son

"No, it is a waste of my time. Others are doing a great job teaching you...young patowan. Pretty soon, you may become a Jedi, then who knows, maybe take over the universe."

Thankyou master

NwnyNi.gif

I think the gracies were amazing and brilliant as is BJJ, and an unchangeable part of the evolution of martial arts in recorded history, but im not sure if the best fighters in the early UFC were the best in the world I think its perhaps western bias

What happens if you pull guard on a combat sambo guy of the same time period?

I would have been interesting to see Carley Gracie taking on a sambo guy.

Carley was pretty brutal back in the day.

Back