Was UFC1 etc too premiture to dismiss dirty fighting as ineffective?

BringBackTRTforFairness

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Remember striking all striking at one point was ineffective and grappling ruled the sport.

But look at how things evolved much MMA is now done on the feet striking.

I saw one guy in the early UFC get punched in the balls over and over again, it had little effect, perhaps because they were lousy pushy strikes and he had more adrenaline than a normal pro fighter because he isn't used to sport fighting? Which is why he wasn't rollng around on the floor in agony?

Fighters get caught with a left round kick to the nuts all the time or knees and they are or seem to be in a lot of pain and this is through the cup, are the balls partly random ie sometimes they cause overwhelming pain sometimes nothing much? Are the fighters faking it? Milking it? A lot of the time I don't think they are because I don't think professional fighters could deliver Oscar level acting performances under the scrutiny of slo mo, when they get kicked in the balls

Eye pokes they work a little too well. This was one rule that was ALWAYS banned. Its so effective not only doe sit cause huge pain but blindness temporary or permanent to boot. I think mount and clinch range would be very differently fought if the eyes were a target to get and defend

I saw one guy bite a gracie fighter but he bit him like he was biting into an apple, the guy hadn't a clue how to bite effectively, im surprised his front teeth didn't fall out, if you bite you turn your head to the side and use your canines and rip. That's what they evolved for. No or little blood was drawn minimal pain was inflicted, try biting into your arm on an angle with your canines lots of pain right, front on very little right? Biting is effective, esp vs a grappler, it changes the dynamic a little.

As an overall effective street fighting (*hand to hand) style goes the typical MMA style is probably the best in the world but is far from optimal because it doesn't take into accounts dirty fighting and other later banned techniques like headbutts (during x2 legs and from mount etc)

Its become what Bruce Lee described as organised despair, because it evolves around rules not what works.

Bruce Lee's ideas were superior and JKD in principle is superior although the best fighters in the world are definitely MMA fighters and not JKD or any other type of fighter or fighting style

If dirty moves are in play, they are easier to complete when you are in a dominant position anyway.

If you want to play the eye gouge game, the guy in mount can do it more easily than the guy who is mounted, etc...

They are also not nearly as easy to complete as most people assume.

Was protecting the balls and not the nerve of the leg with your stance, and being more of a boxer fencer with the lead eye JAB, as Bruce Lee envisioned a smarter approach to real fighting than the more wrestling/kickboxing stance MMA fighters have?

Is that the smarter more effective way to fight when strikes to the balls and eyes are allowed (as well as round kicks to the legs and wrestling etc)

yes, there are rules in today's MMA, and there were less in older NHB MMA, and none in a true NHB.

Krav fighters claim what you do; that in a fight with no rules, their style would beat MMA styles.

i have little basis to confirm or deny their opinion. the closest thing i have is from watching some Rios Hero's (remember that anyone?!?) NHB about 8 years ago, and those guys (and one woman) used modern MMA techniques, not KM techniques. take from that what you will.

Omg thank you, I didn't know how to bite people effectively before reading this

yes, there are rules in today's MMA, and there were less in older NHB MMA, and none in a true NHB.

Krav fighters claim what you do; that in a fight with no rules, their style would beat MMA styles.

i have little basis to confirm or deny their opinion. the closest thing i have is from watching some Rios Hero's (remember that anyone?!?) NHB about 8 years ago, and those guys (and one woman) used modern MMA techniques, not KM techniques. take from that what you will.

Krav guys still keep the same or similar sports stance, except its more front on like Tysons stance, or Bas Ruttens its wide open for a kick to the groind. Also the eye jab and leading arm are severely hampered in range and speed from that stance.

Krav maga to me is just a training course for non fighters geared towards survival, and is not trying to be the optimal way to fight, its just trying to train untrained fighters and soldiers in how to get through typical real world hand to hand situations without becoming a master of hand to hand.

Fighting to day is done with weopons the rifle etc, so it makes no sense for krav maga to be geared to wards the optimal way to fight hand to hand its geared towards quickly making someone that sucks into someone basically competent, but they are not anywhere near the same level of an MMA fighter be it no rules on the street or in the ring.

Krav maga fighters are basically super novice MMA fighters that use dirty strikes and weapon defence too, im not sure they even fight at all, I think its just sparring at best and having a group of people hit you with pads and shout at you etc

Last edited:
Worked for Andre Ward last week

It sure did, on the cup high or low the balls still get shaken abruptly, instead of a point being deducted he got his hand raised, shocking decisions in boxing too. In the age of slo mo as well. It sucks.

If MMA had allowed groin strikes and eyes strikes but with padded finger tips for safety, maybe MMA would look more like this? A bit more like Bruce Lee predicted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back