what if fence grabbing was legal?

I don't know but I think if you're allowed to use the fence to take someone down you should be allowed to use it to get back up or prevent being taken down.

I don't know but I think if you're allowed to use the fence to take someone down you should be allowed to use it to get back up or prevent being taken down.
I think it's for the protection of the person grabbing the fence as much as anything. I imagine a lot of broken fingers if guys were allowed to grab the fence.

4a405ac83d7fd6b021194a6dad484082.gif

I think it's for the protection of the person grabbing the fence as much as anything. I imagine a lot of broken fingers if guys were allowed to grab the fence.

That's the exact reason.

So long as you don't put your fingers in the cage you can use it to stay up

broken or dislocated are the best case scenarios, you could get a digit completely ripped off.

Lets continue on this line of questioning and ask how would knees to the head of a downed opponent affect wrestlers?

I think they'd think long and hard before shooting in because missing could potentially cost a lot.

Lets continue on this line of questioning and ask how would knees to the head of a downed opponent affect wrestlers?

I think they'd think long and hard before shooting in because missing could potentially cost a lot.

I think it would work to a wrestler's advantage to allow knees to the head of grounded opponent. Look up some old Mark Coleman, Kevin Randleman, or Don Frye fights.

Goes both ways. Wrestlers are more often in a position to dish knees to downed opponents than get hit with them. You would see wrestlers pushing fighters against the fence, sucking their legs out so they are on their ass then stepping back and throwing knees to their face

I think it would work to a wrestler's advantage to allow knees to the head of grounded opponent. Look up some old Mark Coleman, Kevin Randleman, or Don Frye fights.
Both correct

Coleman-vs-Goes-ko.gif

This is specifically what I was referring to.

You can, you just can't grab it. You can't grab it to assist in taking someone down either. Lots of guys develop pretty good "wall walking" skills to assist in getting back to their feet when they're taken down near the cage.

I'd rather see them remove the gap between the mat and the fence along the floor. I don't understand how that gap can't be fixed and it very clearly is taken advantage of by many fighters to help prevent the take down.

Why should you protect the person from doing something that risks themselves? That's a dumb logic. If you wanna risk your fingers getting hurt do so fence grabbing should be legal. It would make it a lot harder to take someone down but it would also make it easier to pin someone against the cage. But if you pin someone against the cage and lock your finger sin the cage you can't attack or defend with that hand so it might not even lead to THAT much wall n stall

I bet we would see a lot more flashy showtime kick style moves.

Go watch John Lewis vs Carlson Gracie and you'll see why it's illegal.

Back