Jens Pulver on BJ: "He belongs on top of you. He will tear you apart if he gets on top of you"

Mixed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://khon2.com/2017/06/22/one-of-...-is-looking-forward-to-bjs-bout-this-weekend/

"You know, I’d like to just see glimmers of the world champion that he was because you can’t take that away from him. That’s etched in stone. He’s just trying to compete right now because this is just a pathway so he can say goodbye in peace and still compete and have fun. You got to love the kid, I love him. I don’t know, in my mind enjoy it for what it is and watch the man go out there and try to compete and find the BJ Penn that he can be proud of because no matter what, I know I’m proud of him.

I’ve always said it, I’ll say it now and for the next fifteen years after, BJ on top of you, that’s no bueno. That is no good. He gets you down, see, now he’s got to figure out how can I get you down without getting stuck in a boxing match or a kickboxing match. He belongs on top of you. He will tear you apart if he gets on top of you and he’s just got to get there."

mma_lightweights_10.jpg

Love Jens.

Great fighter, even better person.

Always hespect.

"On the ground again! I've been beat on my whole life, this is nothing!"

Pulver is mma royalty.

Jens is a super classy guy. He was a great coach on TUF.

On the show they would give him shit since he had lost several fights, but now BJ is in a similar position to the one Jens was in. It's the circle of life.

I like Jens, watching him retire 7 times after losing and crying got a little old but I like Jens. He overcame a lot and was a world champ at one point.

I follow Jens on Facebook, dude is a dedicated family man and seems like a relaxed guy in general. Fought and beat some real badasses in his day.

ever get in the full mount position on top of someone & make that person give you a bj?

Random Jens story.

Chicago last year...Holm vs Shevchenko.

We're walking around the food court and I spot Jens sitting by himself. He's talking on his cell phone.

I'm an idiot...so I go up and say "hey Jens Pulver!"...completely forgot that the guy was talking on his phone and I completely interrupted him.

Jens says over his phone "Gotta go....talk to you later"...leaps out of his seat with a big smile on his face and hand outstretched.

I apologized for interrupting him....Jens wouldn't have it. "For a fan...I got all the time in the world"

Anyways..ended up shooting the shit with him for 10 minutes. One of the coolest guys ever.

War Jens.

I met Jens after the last BJ fight. He is a straight up humble human being, a really great guy. I hope he has found peace and his place after fighting.

Random Jens story.

Chicago last year...Holm vs Shevchenko.

We're walking around the food court and I spot Jens sitting by himself. He's talking on his cell phone.

I'm an idiot...so I go up and say "hey Jens Pulver!"...completely forgot that the guy was talking on his phone and I completely interrupted him.

Jens says over his phone "Gotta go....talk to you later"...leaps out of his seat with a big smile on his face and hand outstretched.

I apologized for interrupting him....Jens wouldn't have it. "For a fan...I got all the time in the world"

Anyways..ended up shooting the shit with him for 10 minutes. One of the coolest guys ever.

War Jens.
I met him in Des Moines right before his fight with Lauzon he was a nice guy was talking to everyone.

Jens is a super classy guy. He was a great coach on TUF.

On the show they would give him shit since he had lost several fights, but now BJ is in a similar position to the one Jens was in. It's the circle of life.
I'm just curious...during his coaching season of TUF, why did 80% of the TUF cast raise their hand when BJ told them "If you want nothing to do with Jens Pulver or his team, raise your hand."

That was before my time following MMA.

Jens was one of my early faves - I loved his boxing style and straight up willingness to leave it all in there. Even as a Penn fan I found it really lame how BJ treated him on that TUF show. Especially when he asked fighters to chose coaches - I do believe like raise your hands if you want to be on my team or something like that - that was a low blow.

Jens was always the bigger guy in terms of just letting bygones be bygones.

Amazing how this thread turned into a Pulver appreciation thread. Always loved that dude, favorite early fighter. His sprawl and brawl was fantastic and that left hook was legendary. Who gets that many fucking KO body shots?

So much power for that guy who probably could have nearly dominated the whole scene 145 & down if there was any interest in those divisions at the time. Always fought much bigger guys
2dumulf.jpg

There's a reason George's greased up his back...

I'm just curious...during his coaching season of TUF, why did 80% of the TUF cast raise their hand when BJ told them "If you want nothing to do with Jens Pulver or his team, raise your hand."

That was before my time following MMA.

I'm not really sure, tbh. I think it may have been because BJ's stock was much higher than Jens's at that point.

Jens had already lost to BJ once by then and had also lost to Lauzon who was competing on the show. Imagine being coached by a guy who's ass you whooped.

It's kind of like if nowadays fighters had to choose whether to be coached by BJ or Jose Aldo. One fighter is just clearly better.

Pulver ended up being the way better coach though since two of his guys made it to the finals.

Back