Anyone wanting more weight classes in the Men's division is delusional.

S

SouthoftheAndes

What happened to this being ultimate fighting?

Some people want a weight class every 10lbs. LOL why?

And if that is the case what about a weight class for every 5lb difference?

I'd argue the weight classes should be reformed. This is what I would do.

125lbs

140lbs

155lbs

170lbs

190lbs

210lbs

265lbs

125lbs

140lbs

155lbs

170lbs

190lbs

210lbs

265lbs

Not bad

A 10lb official weight gap, is like a 15 to 20 lb difference on fight night.

10 lb difference is a good solution.

125lbs

140lbs

155lbs

170lbs

190lbs

210lbs

265lbs
I dont want more weight classes but why do you have to argue with just taking it to an extreme, surprised your argument was not asking why not 1lb differences...

In regards to your breakdown, I say raise the 265 to 300 and make the 210 220.

Edit: actually there should be no limit on top. If you're 500lbs and can fight, I want to see it.

rogan-hightimes.jpg

Just let it happen bro

As soon as we get more weight classes. Some idiots will be asking for new weight classes that have 5lb difference. You will hear the people saying.

Oh what about a 170lb class? and a 175lb, and 180lb class, and a 185lb class.

Fucking ridiculous.

Either bulk up some muscle or cut to a lower weight class. If you can't hang with guys within a 15-20lb range of your own damn weight class then don't bother being a fighter.

The only weight class that might actually need to be created would be superheavy weight class (if there was ever) enough guys who aren't on roids and naturally weigh +300lbs. But unless a bunch of guys like 'The Big Show' start trying out for the UFC or Bob Sapp there is no need for Super Heavy weight.

I dont want more weight classes but why do you have to argue with just taking it to an extreme, surprised your argument was not asking why not 1lb differences...

In regards to your breakdown, I say raise the 265 to 300 and make the 210 220.

Why 300lbs? So 320lb and 330lb juice heads can cut water weight and try and destroy 240lb fighters? I feel size and strength matter less and are more equal once you are +220lbs of largely muscle. Either way you cut it a +220lb man with a low body fat and high muscle % is a strong and big ass guy assuming he is + 5'10 in height.

Very few fighters are +265lbs and the ones who are like Derrick lewis could lose some fat. And in any case Derrick Lewis is still able to make weight. Very few fighters who aren't carrying a lot of body fat are 265lbs.

Or should we sign guys as jacked as prime Ronnie Coleman who are +300lbs?

I'm fine with the current classes. The only thing I would change is remove the weight cap of HW, its just silly.

i don't want more, but how exactly does wanting more weightclasses make someone " delusional " ??

idiot.

Weight classes are better for fighter's health first and foremost. People will fight at the weight they can make. Jumping form 155 to 175 is delusional. As is jumping from 185 to 205 and then 205 to 240 or whatever weight heavyweight is. Think outside the box rather than "just bleed"

As soon as we get more weight classes. Some idiots will be asking for new weight classes that have 5lb difference. You will hear the people saying.

Fucking ridiculous.

Either bulk up some muscle or cut to a lower weight class. If you can't hang with guys within a 15-20lb range of your own damn weight class then don't bother being a fighter.

The only weight class that might actually need to be created would be superheavy weight class (if there was ever) enough guys who aren't on roids and naturally weigh +300lbs. But unless a bunch of guys like 'The Big Show' start trying out for the UFC or Bob Sapp there is no need for Super Heavy weight.

I'd watch Bob Sapp vs Big Show. Coker can make it happen.

125lbs

140lbs

155lbs

170lbs

190lbs

210lbs

265lbs
this is why you don't own a promotion...
(hint hint)

A 10lb official weight gap, is like a 15 to 20 lb difference on fight night.

10 lb difference is a good solution.

No it isn't. Unless you aren't cutting weight in which case you either got balls of steel or are really good. However it won't matter if you are mostly muscle.

GSP was not the biggest weight cutter at WW. And yet he staunched his competition both in skill and physically, why?

Because GSP was one of the best conditioned and muscular and lean fighters.

The sport evolved beyond just hillbillies. I'm sure you could see plenty of ultimate fighting if you followed the Kimbo Slice yellow brick road of google video searches.

Weight classes are better for fighter's health first and foremost. People will fight at the weight they can make. Jumping form 155 to 175 is delusional. As is jumping from 185 to 205 and then 205 to 240 or whatever weight heavyweight is. Think outside the box rather than "just bleed"

The UFC will become just like boxing with utterly pointless and worthless belts.

10lb weight differences only make sense for the women since they are so light anyways and since most of them don't roid out and seek to get super muscular.

And what do you mean 155 to 175 is a big jump?

WW max limit is 170lbs.

Bj Penn did quite fine at WW, but ultimately was better suited for LW. He is now at FW cause he isn't probably as strong as the average LW's. The LW of today are more muscular but still the same weight as the LW of yesterday. All that has changed is the body composition of fighters has changed. More muscle and leaner.

i don't want more, but how exactly does wanting more weightclasses make someone " delusional " ??

idiot.
He's not an idiot, but you are right that he is wrong that wanting more weight classes makes one delusional.

I think if any weight class is added it should be in the LW to MW area where something like 75% of all males fighters on the roster seem to be. Seems like some people look at the weight ranges and try to find a place in between. I think a better approach is to look at the roster and see if any divisions are too bloated.

Why would the cuts decrease when you add more divisions? As you say, they fight at the weight they can make, so why would they stop maxing out weight cuts? If anything, more divisions make it possible for more people to attempt ambitious cuts.

If you want to tackle weight cutting as an issue, do it directly and regulate it. Weight classes wont change much.

Last edited:
No it isn't. Unless you aren't cutting weight in which case you either got balls of steel or are really good. However it won't matter if you are mostly muscle.

GSP was not the biggest weight cutter at WW. And yet he staunched his competition both in skill and physically, why?

Because GSP was one of the best conditioned and muscular and lean fighters.
GSP "missed" for the Nick Diaz fight, and they had to change the rules for him. That was in the pre-USADA days, so, lord knows how many IVs were infused in him.

He's not an idiot, but you are right that he is wrong that wanting more weight classes makes one delusional.

I think if any weight class is added it should be in the LW to MW area where something like 75% of all males fighters on the roster seem to be. Seems like some people look at the weight ranges and try to find a place in between. I think a better approach is to look at the roster and see if any divisions are too bloated.
like 170 or something yknow?

Fucking ridiculous.

Why 300lbs? So 320lb and 330lb juice heads can cut water weight and try and destroy 240lb fighters? I feel size and strength matter less and are more equal once you are +220lbs of largely muscle. Either way you cut it a +220lb man with a low body fat and high muscle % is a strong and big ass guy assuming he is + 5'10 in height.

Very few fighters are +265lbs and the ones who are like Derrick lewis could lose some fat. And in any case Derrick Lewis is still able to make weight. Very few fighters who aren't carrying a lot of body fat are 265lbs.

Or should we sign guys as jacked as prime Ronnie Coleman who are +300lbs?
My edit eliminated the upper threshold. The juice head part has to be controlled by testing and I know some will get through, but I'd like to see JDS against a 300+lb monster...Just something that would fascinate me.

But why? To me it will just further ruin mma and weaken divisions.

Honestly if I was a pro fighter i'd like to think think I don't need to be babied to that degree. Also, there is a weight class between LW and MW it is WW (I am 100% sure you know this) but where would you add it? WW has guys like Cerrone who can compete and can easily fight at LW, likewise it had guys like GSP who admitted he could go down to LW if he dropped some muscle mass.

I mean with that being said. I do agree that there is a physical difference that seems to be noticeable along with a strength difference. Fighters at WW are often the same height as LW fighters but they are obviously heavier and with more muscle mass. Tyrone Woodley for instance is too big to make LW, but doesn't have the height and reach and frame to compete against naturally large 6'3 MW like Rockhold or 6'2 Weidman. So given that knowledge should Woodley continue to fight at WW or move up to MW?

Oh and Gatselum and Hendricks both 5'9 are now at MW, but they are carrying a higher % of body fat than Woodley hence their inability to easily make weight at 170lbs.

Back