BJ Penn looks back on Rodriguez loss: why didn’t I just slam him on his head like Frankie Edgar???

lecter

not even webscale
@Silver
Reaction score
Earlier this year, former UFC lightweight and welterweight champion and UFC Hall of Famer BJ Penn made his long-awaited return to the Octagon. He did so against red hot featherweight prospect Yair Rodriguez.

Though Penn fought valiantly, this fight unfortunately didn’t go his way, as he was finished by a volley of second-round Rodriguez strikes.

Now several months removed from this fight, and days out from a chance at redemption opposite Dennis Siver, Penn looked back with host Kinch on BJ Penn Radio.

One of his big regrets in the Rodriguez fight, he explained, is that he didn’t shoot for a takedown – something that worked very well for Frankie Edgar, who recently beat Rodriguez.

“You know what, looking back, it’s just the way the fight got put together, and the way I was training for the fight,” Penn said of what went wrong. “But whatever, just looking back, why didn’t I just slam him on his head like Frankie Edgar and just fuck him up on the ground? You know what I mean? I pushed him on the fence, but I didn’t even grab his legs once. But you know, that’s how I was training back then. I was training for some different stuff. Now it’s the ABCs, the basics. But I believe I could have taken Yair down.”

Penn then touched briefly on a possible future rematch with Rodriguez – something he says he’s interested in, but not dying for.

“You never know what the future holds,” he said. “I’m not running around saying ‘I want to fight Yair,’ but if we ever got back in the ring again with each other, then we’ll see how it goes.”

Do you think BJ Penn could have performed better against Yair Rodriguez with a slightly different game plan?

source is bjpenn.com http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/exclusive-interviews/bj-penn-looks-back-loss-yair-rodriguez/

BJ has no fight left in him. For some reason hes a glutton for punishment.

You didn't slam him like Frankie because you're not Frankie.

BJ did have solid wrestling earlier in his career but who knows what he has left in him now.

Dude has too much pride.. doesn't realize it's now 2017.

I am going to be depressed if he can't even beat Siver, who should probably retire in his own right. BJ used to be my favorite.

Dude has too much pride.. doesn't realize it's now 2017.

I am going to be depressed if he can't even beat Siver, who should probably retire in his own right. BJ used to be my favorite.

Used to be? Not anymore?

Here comes the echo chamber.

Because BJ, your takedowns suck, and you will gas out faster going for them

f3792ebfe694f9ae39c4b26b0dacd84b.jpg

Penn has peaked right about the Stevenson fight...maintained it right by Sanchez and was on a downhill when he faced Edgar. Went back to WW where everyone are basically bigger and walking average 185 or more. there are still few fighters he can beat. I'd love to see Penn vs. Alvarez maybe as a final fight.

Penn has peaked right about the Stevenson fight...maintained it right by Sanchez and was on a downhill when he faced Edgar. Went back to WW where everyone are basically bigger and walking average 185 or more. there are still few fighters he can beat. I'd love to see Penn vs. Alvarez maybe as a final fight.
Eddie would beat the fucking shit out of BJ within a round

You were out sized, out strength, out paced & out skilled. By a fair margin.
Accept reality BJ, think of your family.

Back