The Eastern Punch vs Boxing

JeffDredd

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Another interesting video from MindSmash about Robert Whitaker, thought I'd share with my sherbros.

**edit** And now I feel like a dick. My bad folks!

Last edited:
Such a good video it's almost like I cant see it..

900x900px-LL-b4043091_emptybox.gif

The video was good,but that ad in the middle of it really annoyed me...

Dude, you linked the wrong video the one you posted is the sex tape you made with your parish priest.

Mindsmash is a bit of a hack. He conveniently leaves out details to further his point. Lyoto Machida has been training out of boxing gyms since 16 years old and out of Blackhouse since his early twenties with boxing coaches, muay Thai coaches etc. It's a similar story for Gunnar, Chinzo, Stephen Thompson and most of these Karatekas. He sensationalizes single disciplines because he knows thats what idiots like to hear. If Gunnar just came into MMA with his Goju Ryo brown belt he'd be getting knocked out every fight...But Gunnar spars with pro boxers, kickboxers, MMA fighters, he trains with different striking coaches, MMA coaches etc.

Machida himself has said he began training BJJ and Sumo at 8, Shotokan at 3 and out of boxing gyms at 16. It's on his Wiki page, I can't find the source directly from him it's old. Also, since black house hes trained under Rogerio in boxing and worked with pro boxers, muay Thai champions, sparred with Anderson a lot, trained with Vitor at his dojo in Brazil etc

Similar with Thompson, guy has been training under Machado in BJJ long before he ever started MMA. When Thompson switched over from Karate to Kickboxing he spent years refining his striking for full contact and different rules, he sparred and trained with pro kickboxers, crossed trained at different gyms, got different perspectives from other coaches. When he went to MMA he trained out of TriStar and Ray Longos...Tons of different looks this idea that "they do karate, derpppp" is so stupid it's scary people believe it's that simple. It's their background, sure.

Same thing with MVP, he spars with James DeGale and Chris Eubank Jr in boxing gyms, he was an amateur kickboxer, he is decorated in Kung Fu, be trains out of an MMA gym primarily works with MMA fighters, striking coaches, MMA coaches, spars MMA fighters, Kickboxers, Boxers, competes in MMA and yet people go "KARATE DERPPPP".

Karate can be a great base but these guys have gone far beyond being simply Karatekas in the striking aspects.

Machida himself has said he began training BJJ and Sumo at 8, Shotokan at 3 and out of boxing gyms at 16. It's on his Wiki page, I can't find the source directly from him it's old. Also, since black house hes trained under Rogerio in boxing and worked with pro boxers, muay Thai champions, sparred with Anderson a lot, trained with Vitor at his dojo in Brazil etc

Similar with Thompson, guy has been training under Machado in BJJ long before he ever started MMA. When Thompson switched over from Karate to Kickboxing he spent years refining his striking for full contact and different rules, he sparred and trained with pro kickboxers, crossed trained at different gyms, got different perspectives from other coaches. When he went to MMA he trained out of TriStar and Ray Longos...Tons of different looks this idea that "they do karate, derpppp" is so stupid it's scary people believe it's that simple. It's their background, sure.
Same thing with MVP, he spars with James DeGale and Chris Eubank Jr in boxing gyms, he was an amateur kickboxer, he is decorated in Kung Fu, be trains out of an MMA gym primarily works with MMA fighters, striking coaches, MMA coaches, spars MMA fighters, Kickboxers, Boxers, competes in MMA and yet people go "KARATE DERPPPP".

Karate can be a great base but these guys have gone far beyond being simply Karatekas in the striking aspects.
that just doesnt apply to karate guys. All fighters are mostly known for their base. Cain for instance cross trains as much as those guys but he obviously uses his wrestling the most. I don't see much boxing in machida, for better or worse. Also, Thompson did full contact karate which is american kickboxing.

that just doesnt apply to karate guys. All fighters are mostly known for their base. Cain for instance cross trains as much as those guys but he obviously uses his wrestling the most. I don't see much boxing in machida, for better or worse.

Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesnt make a tremendous difference. Have you see Shotokan competitions? Machidas hands are so much more competent than any of those guys, I mean so are his kicks and striking ability in general. It's no coincidence.

It was like that video Mindsmash made of Chinzo vs a 4-4 MMA fighter he called it "Karate vs MMA", Chinzo made his MMA debut in 2005 and has trained off and on at super high levels in boxing, jiu jitsu, judo, muay thai etc...He's more of a mixed martial artist than the 4-4 bum he beat on the Bellator under card. Yet idiots to "Karate works, it can beat MMA, see!".

Profound stupidity.

Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesnt make a tremendous difference. Have you see Shotokan competitions? Machidas hands are so much more competent than any of those guys, I mean so are his kicks and striking ability in general. It's no coincidence.

It was like that video Mindsmash made of Chinzo vs a 4-4 MMA fighter he called it "Karate vs MMA", Chinzo made his MMA debut in 2005 and has trained off and on at super high levels in boxing, jiu jitsu, judo, muay thai etc...He's more of a mixed martial artist than the 4-4 bum he beat on the Bellator under card. Yet idiots to "Karate works, it can beat MMA, see!".

Profound stupidity.
Machida doesnt really use the jab, head movement, etc just a predictable straight left straight out of kumite. I've seen plenty of karate guys who are as good as machida with hands. I don't see much boxing in chinzo either.

Machida doesnt really use the jab, head movement, etc just a predictable straight left straight out of kumite. I've seen plenty of karate guys who are as good as machida with hands. I don't see much boxing in chinzo either.

First of all, there's reverse training. You train something to understand it, so that you can beat it when you face it. It also gives you a better and different understanding of techniques, timing, opening, range, angles etc so that you can better apply your Shotokan base to a different and more complex context. It's invaluable. Secondly, no you don't see a lot of Karate guys with as good of hands as Machida. Put them in there with Mousasi LMAO. People have no idea, if Machida has been training out of boxing gyms since 16 despite being a karate champion, it's perhaps because it has a lot to offer? And muay Thai? And with Anderson? None of this would have been possible if Machida were just a Shotokan black belt with Sumo training lol.

It's like Mark Hunt? People call him a boxer but he spent years throwing leg kicks, body kicks, switch kicks. He spent years checking kicks, blocking kicks, conditioning his body. He learned to strike for 5, 3 minute rounds which is a different type of pace and conditioning. He learned how to counter kicks, he learned the timing and distance of punching with kicking in context, he sparred endlessly and competed endlessly vs Kickboxers with different backgrounds. He's not a boxer, he's a Kickboxer...It's a big difference, even if he mostly just throws punches, it's entirely different.

Back