Maia's best shot at beating Woodley is pressure boxing him for five rounds.

ReasonableMMAFan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't see Demian being able to taken the short, stocky, elite wrestler Woodley down. Neither do I see him being to mount or take his back. But with the right gameplan, he could do what Rory did and just pressure him up against the cage. All he needs is an average one two combo and he's good to go.

Good points only flaw I see in that is T wood is dynamite explosive I don't think Maia is getting out of the way of his blitz off a counter

Sounds like a perfect gameplan for Woodley to counter Maia and KO him.

If Maia gets him against the fence (which Woodley is prone to) then he can take him down.

Maybe pressure him against fence and go for the takedown against the fence. If Woodley manages to defend and remain standing then Maia should just keep pushing Tyron against the fence. Basically wall and stall like Randy used to do, but throw in some takedown attempts every once in a while

Damien Maia and pressure boxing in the same thread title.

That's 15 points, TS. Way to go!

I have a feeling that in the first few rounds, if Maia gets him down Woodley will get back to his feet, but if Maia tires him out for 2 rounds, by round 3 Maia will be able to submit him.
i think this fight is a pickem, likely that Maia submits him and also likely that Woodley KO's him cold.

You want Maia to get Marquardt'd again?

I think Maia drags him down but Woodley keeps popping up in the first. Maia gasses like in the Rory fight second round on and but Woodley gasses too, so it will turn shitshow like Weidman vs Maia

Maia's best chance is to get leg kick him forcing Woodley to throw the right and either use the momentum to pull guard or clinch up and get that back.

If Maia gets him against the fence (which Woodley is prone to) then he can take him down.

This

Maybe pressure him against fence and go for the takedown against the fence. If Woodley manages to defend and remain standing then Maia should just keep pushing Tyron against the fence. Basically wall and stall like Randy used to do, but throw in some takedown attempts every once in a while

And this.

Maia's problem is that he tends to tire.

In this fight, however, he may actually be the one with endurance advantage!

Woodley operates in flurries... Every half a minute, at most.

Maia may be actually able to tire him.

I can't take this shit seriously.

Don't forget Woodley has a strange tendency (instinct?) to back himself into the fence.

Maia coaxes Woodley to the fence, takes him down, mounts him and submits him.

Maia has underrated, ugly, non textbook takedowns and is good at keeping people down once they are there.

Woodley should be a heavy favourite with his superior toolset but I won't be surprised at all if Maia attaches himself to a leg, then bag and suffocates the great activist.

Isn't much of a chance for maia imo. A crazy sub? He has good body lock takedown though. The fight will end with maia being kod, followed by m masvidal being wrestlefucked. Than Woodley will beat two or three more contenders not named gsp.

Woodley isn't going to fear maias standup at all. However if he can force him toward the fence (either shooting or blitzing) I think he won't need to even score a TD he can just backpack engage from the clinch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back