165, 175 and 225 lb divisions

thewhiterooster

dana hates sunscreen
@Brown
Reaction score
on the Joe rogan experience, Joe said that the ufc is going to do a 165, 175, & 225 division. has anyone heard this info from any other source other than from Joe rogan's mouth?

No. It was something the CSAC proposed but doesn't matter if they are the only state doing it.

Then again, the UFC has a division with only two fighters in it so anything is possible.

No. It was something the CSAC proposed but doesn't matter if they are the only state doing it.

Then again, the UFC has a division with only two fighters in it so anything is possible.

so are you saying that it's not going to happen? it was just proposed in California, but it's not happening?

I wouldn't mind 225 at all. But the 165 and 175 seems ridiculous. Boxing has enough weight classes and beyond MW it goes; 168 SMW, 175 LHW, 199 CW, 200+ HW.

HW and LHW are currently both atrocious divisions, so adding a 225 just makes them go from shit to full on explosive diarrhea.

WME seems to think more titles=more views, but casuals have made it clear they don't give a damn about titlefights unless its with someone whose a draw. Just look at 211, one of the best cards in a while with TWO TITLE FIGHTS and it did like 300k buys. Casuals don't care about title fights, and just creating more titles just further devalues title fights imo.

HW and LHW are currently both atrocious divisions, so adding a 225 just makes them go from shit to full on explosive diarrhea.

WME seems to think more titles=more views, but casuals have made it clear they don't give a damn about titlefights unless its with someone whose a draw. Just look at 211, one of the best cards in a while with TWO TITLE FIGHTS and it did like 300k buys. Casuals don't care about title fights, and just creating more titles just further devalues title fights imo.

Crazy how fast the LHW division has deteriorated with guys leaving the UFC. I'd argue the HW division has more talent(aging) as compared to the women's divisions, 125, 135(Assuncao is ranked #4). 170 and 155 talent isn't as strong anymore as guys have left the UFC.

Yes,new divisions will be introduced soon by UFC.

so are you saying that it's not going to happen? it was just proposed in California, but it's not happening?

The CSAC passed their plan (which includes the new weight classes) and went effect June 15th, I believe. The only promotions it would probably affect are ones that only throw events in CA...I can't see the UFC or Bellator creating weight classes for belts/fights that would only be defended/contested in California.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/5/...reaking-package-of-weight-cutting-regulations

Yes,new divisions will be introduced soon by UFC.

Source on that?

I'm all for it. Guys like RDA shouldn't have to choose between cutting a shit-ton of weight and being in a division in which they mostly fight bigger men.

165=welterwwight
175=superwelterweight
225=cruiserweight

I'm all for it. Guys like RDA shouldn't have to choose between cutting a shit-ton of weight and being in a division in which they mostly fight bigger men.

So you're in favor of three divisions (165/170/175) within 10lbs???

What about the guys that want a 130/140/150 division?

165=welterwwight
175=superwelterweight
225=cruiserweight

What do you call 170 then?

I wouldn't mind 225 at all. But the 165 and 175 seems ridiculous. Boxing has enough weight classes and beyond MW it goes; 168 SMW, 175 LHW, 199 CW, 200+ HW.

lol, how do 165 and 175 classes sound ridiculous, yet a 225 division is okay? There isn't enough talent to fill out the HW and LHW divisions and you want to dilute it even more (and make a class which essentially every current top HW could make without any real issue, anyway)? Did you think this through?

Last edited:
I don't mind. At least something new will happen. Just bleed.

The far better idea is just to re-organize all divisions instead of randomly adding them.

Worst possible thing the UFC could do, the divisions have already gone stale, spreading the talent out into 3 more divisions is just stupid, especially right now. I love MMA, the UFC and combat sports in general but I have zero interest in watching 3 more watered down divisions in the UFC. If this happens I will never watch the UFC again, I'll just move on to something else and pretend it never existed. Call me a casual fan all you want but I don't think any good can come from the UFC adding a weight class every 10 pounds. I stopped watching and following the NHL when they removed fighting as it ruined the game I can just as easily stop watching the UFC.

Belts mean less and less as time goes on. I miss these days:

rc1thj.jpg

Back