Do PED users busted pre-USADA has plausible deniability now?

DannyNL

The King is BACK, baby!
Banned
Reaction score
People who have been following the sport for any real amount of time remember the days when people would get busted and immediately say "what the fuck? That's bullshit! It must have been a tainted supplement!" and we would all roll our eyes like, yeah, tainted supplement... sure...

But now that we know that that shit actually happens, does it give past busts plausible deniability that they were innocent and simply the victim of poor quality standards of some supplement company? Some fighters (Tim Sylvia comes to mind) came outright and admitted it, but most (Sean Sherk, Cris Cyborg for example) insisted on their innocence. I know Roy Jones popped for PEDs in boxing and claimed it was a tainted batch of Ripped Fuel.

Yeah Ubereem's horse meat excuse is now universally accepted by MMA fans.

No one ever says 'yeah you caught me I was cheating for years and taking shit loads of banned drugs' well they do sometimes when given a reduced ban for 'ratting' people out.
Tainted supplements is a BS excuse as is getting a drink spiked etc....

If you want my honest opinion, I genuinely believe the tainted supplement excuse itself is garbage. I think certain athletes are aware of some supplements containing a banned substance that happens to not be listed. So that way they can "legally" take it and already have that excuse.

It just seems too convenient for me. These guys who cheat all know how to beat the system and have insiders....to a certain extent. Sometimes it doesn't work but this is a combat sport and everyone is looking for an edge.

No one ever says 'yeah you caught me I was cheating for years and taking shit loads of banned drugs' well they do sometimes when given a reduced ban for 'ratting' people out.

So USADA is lying about the tainted supplements since they've come onboard? How do you explain the cases of Tim Means and Lyman Good?

Fighters who blame tainted supplements are the worst of them all imo. I find their lies to be even more disgusting than their cheating. UFC fighters know to be careful of what substances they put in their body. What absolute retard would use Alpha Anobolix Matrix 3000 when they could use a well known and researched product that has been tested for banned substances? Do they really not give a shit about their career? Or are they cheating? I think the latter

It's becoming less and less legit these days, but still happens. But in years past it was certainly more of a possibility. 10 years ago people had no fucking idea what was in the supplements they were taking, and most assumed they were perfectly legal.

I don't doubt that there are pre-USADA cases where people got busted when they didn't knowingly take something...but I also believe that whatever that number is PALES in comparison to the number of cases where athletes knowingly (or negligently) took PEDs without getting caught (although that would do nothing to console the 'innocent' person who got busted).

Nope, the utter most of them are just a bunch of cheeting scumbags.

[...]Cris Cyborg for example) insisted on their innocence
If my life was on the line and I had to choose to trust Dana White or Cris Cyborg in order to survive, I'd go Dana White all the way.

People who have been following the sport for any real amount of time remember the days when people would get busted and immediately say "what the fuck? That's bullshit! It must have been a tainted supplement!" and we would all roll our eyes like, yeah, tainted supplement... sure...

But now that we know that that shit actually happens, does it give past busts plausible deniability that they were innocent and simply the victim of poor quality standards of some supplement company? Some fighters (Tim Sylvia comes to mind) came outright and admitted it, but most (Sean Sherk, Cris Cyborg for example) insisted on their innocence. I know Roy Jones popped for PEDs in boxing and claimed it was a tainted batch of Ripped Fuel.

Thanks TS. I did not know RJJ was popped. I knew Mosley got popped for EPO after the 2nd DLH fight (if I am not mistaken). Thought DLH won but he wears pink boxing gloves (saw that fuckery ages ago). I will verify this shortly after this post. I heard on JRE that Rogan suspected "Mexican supplements" before RJJ went to HW. I am paraphrasing. People can verify this or not. I am unsure either way.

The excuses for getting popped is usually female logic; victimhood and some lame blame game for supplements.

So USADA is lying about the tainted supplements since they've come onboard? How do you explain the cases of Tim Means and Lyman Good?

hes not saying "tainted supplements" dont exist

what hes questioning is are athletes aware that the supplement they are taking is "tainted" or at least aware that it could be?

Means for instance was taking a supplement called "HGH-X".. just the name itself is a bit of a red flag

Romero was taking something called "Shed-RX" and its common knowledge that RX means "research chemical", so was it really a surprise when we discover that it was in fact "tainted" with a research chemical (ibutamoren)

Good is a different case, because that appears on the surface to be a prettty genuine case, the multivitamin he took looks fairly innocent.

But certainly in the Romero and Means case the warning signs were there.

the question is, were they innocent and did they just not see the warning signs, OR, is it common knowledge in some circles which supplements have that lil' extra something in them?

I don't doubt that there are pre-USADA cases where people got busted when they didn't knowingly take something...but I also believe that whatever that number is PALES in comparison to the number of cases where athletes knowingly (or negligently) took PEDs without getting caught (although that would do nothing to console the 'innocent' person who got busted).

i felt for Mendes. The cream was fucked. Still, there is self ownership for the choices you make.

I love female logic. Like, being intoxicated, women aren't intelligent enough to give consent but, a DUI doesn't escape the facts.

hes not saying "tainted supplements" dont exist

what hes questioning is are athletes aware that the supplement they are taking is "tainted" or at least aware that it could be?

Means for instance was taking a supplement called "HGH-X".. just the name itself is a bit of a red flag

Romero was taking something called "Shed-RX" and its common knowledge that RX means "research chemical", so was it really a surprise when we discover that it was in fact "tainted" with a research chemical (ibutamoren)

Good is a different case, because that appears on the surface to be a prettty genuine case, the multivitamin he took looks fairly innocent.

But certainly in the Romero and Means case the warning signs were there.

the question is, were they innocent and did they just not see the warning signs, OR, is it common knowledge in some circles which supplements have that lil' extra something in them?

He PEDs as was the case when he got popped. I got RW beating him to death. Dude wants it more. Romero has flashes of brilliancy but, he is very inconsistent.

He PEDs as was the case when he got popped. I got RW beating him to death. Dude wants it more. Romero has flashes of brilliancy but, he is very inconsistent.

is this even english?I have absolutely no idea what you just said or what it even means

Its been well known well before USADA that supplement companies sneak in PED ingredients into supplements to make their products seem better than they should be. USADA or no USADA the excuses seem to always be the same; "what, my doctor said it was okay!" or "what, GNC sold me this it can't be a PED." If I remember correctly King Mo not only used this excuse with one of the athletic commissions, he actually proved it to be true. There of course remains the problem that if someone decides to take PEDs they can always find a known tainted product as an excuse to save face. The way I see it if your protein shake makes your nipples sore you should probably stop or get it checked out if you are a professional athlete being drug tested.

zp_20060415_zaf_c04_032.jpg

Tim Sylvia’s admittance of using steroids and testing positive for the illegal substance.
http://www.sherdog.com/news/interviews/Sylvia-Comes-Clean-1220

Off the top of my head, Sean Sherk was the only one who I ever felt was probably telling the truth and got a raw deal from everybody.

Back