Pat Miletich vs Carlos Newton question...

PalmStrike

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So I rewtched UFC 31 last night...great card btw.

Im still shocked that Newton tapped Pat with what looked like a headlock.

Can anyone shed some light on why Pat couldn't get out of it? Did he simply panic?

I thought it was under the neck?

EDIT: Just checked, yeah bro it was a bulldog choke, clearly has a full arm under the neck. He just got the squeeze in tight and quick, not much time to defend - may have caught him mid breath too - plus Carlos used the cage to block a route for Pat.

That was a crazy submission. Two pioneers of the sport going at it. Now a days you would think fighters could get out of it. But that choke was crazy tight.

That was a crazy submission. Two pioneers of the sport going at it. Now a days you would think fighters could get out of it. But that choke was crazy tight.

I'm no grappling expert but if I were to venture a guess as to why we don't see it today is that it's high risk/low reward positionally. Seems like a good way to get your back taken.

Super tight bulldog choke. Pat let his guard down in a scramble and Newton took advantage. Newton is a super strong and very skilled submission artist, when he gets ahold of something, he cranks, squeezes and pulls until his opponent taps or something breaks. Did you see Newtons arm when he had Pat in that choke? No way Pat was getting out.

I'm no grappling expert but if I were to venture a guess as to why we don't see it today is that it's high risk/low reward positionally. Seems like a good way to get your back taken.
Carlos used the cage to potentially block an attempt at a full back take.

He reaches for Carlos's right leg but its shielded by the fence, Pat gives it up and from there the choke is so tight.

Look at newtons arms...
Would probably tap from a neck crank from that guy lol

I thought it was under the neck?

EDIT: Just checked, yeah bro it was a bulldog choke, clearly has a full arm under the neck. He just got the squeeze in tight and quick, not much time to defend - may have caught him mid breath too - plus Carlos used the cage to block a route for Pat.

Cool, thanks.

Even Pat asked him how he did it and Carlos replied that he would tell him later.

The dvd cut out the after fight interviews though.

Did anyone have Hizzo beating Handy?

I gave Handy 3 rounds.

I know these are old fights but I love watching them and asking you guys these questions.

There was an event maybe 2 years back where there were 2 bulldog chokes on the same card - I think Faber and Pennington (inb4 "of course, because they're not big muscley guys").

You have to keep all of your weight down and put your opponent in a weak position. It is easy to defend in general but if you get caught in a bad position it can be a pretty effective finisher.

So I rewtched UFC 31 last night...great card btw.

Im still shocked that Newton tapped Pat with what looked like a headlock.

Can anyone shed some light on why Pat couldn't get out of it? Did he simply panic?

Best card ever!!!

I know these are old fights but I love watching them and asking you guys these questions.

If you don't have Fightpass I think you'd like it.... I watch more old fights then new ones now.... fed up with the shit they're doing now.... but the classic stuff is fantastic.

Did anyone have Hizzo beating Handy?

I gave Handy 3 rounds.

I thought Rizzo clearly won. He used randy for target practice in round 5, and it was 2-2 until then. Randy could barely stand at the end of the fight.

I thought Rizzo clearly won. He used randy for target practice in round 5, and it was 2-2 until then. Randy could barely stand at the end of the fight.
I'm glad Randy won, but that's a clear robbery. 3-2 Pedro. Both men showed so much heart.

It was a super slick transition from Newton. It's also worth noting that it was midway through the third round, so they were already fatigued; it's easier to get caught with something when you're fatigued. And because that's not a submission we had really seen up to that point, it's entirely reasonable to think that fighters weren't spending time on escape technique.

1 was clearly for Handy

2 was clearly for Hizzo

3 was a resting round but Handy did get a takedown while Hizzo did nothing

4 I gave to Handy as well for multiple takedowns

5 was clearly Hizzos

Round 3 cost Hizzo the fight IMO

Back