Why is wrestling considered by some to be the best base for mma

pilgrim4702

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mma is essentially fighting. The goal is to incapacitate another person as quickly and hopefully as spectacularly as possible. Bearing in mind that in fighting, in life, or in tournament, or in general, one may possibly have to fight multiple opponents on the same night or multiple opponents in an unfair fight. So how on earth is a discipline which is so boring that the Olympics flirted with cutting it out, so boring that there isn't even a professional version of it for amateurs to Segue in to (that's why hs/ college wrestlers go into mma) considered the best base.
If a boxer unleashes his/ her most damaging move on a person, that person is getting concussed, blacked out, stitches, a broken orbital, or a broken nose, broken rib, etc. all from a single move (punch). If a wrestler unleashes his/ her most damaging move, then CONGRATS, you have your shoulder blades pressed to the ground and you got pinned. Or taken down. Or back points. Or reversed. Wow that sounds damaging and scary. A freaking football tackle has more grounds to be mma worthy than wrestling moves.

Wrestling is not meant for damage. It requires a soft mat to compete in. Striking can be done on any surface. It is meant solely for damage. I get that wrestling is helpful, but how anyone can put it above boxing for fighting purposes is just ignorant and toolish.

If you had to fight an attacker w a weapon and you used wrestling, your probably getting shanked in the back while you attempt your takedown ( but at least you scored two points LOL). If you used striking and movement, the art of hit and don't get hit, you stand a much better chance of not getting hurt while doing your best to disarm the assailant.

This is why when someone goes to watch a boxing match, it's called "watchin The fights" or "going to see a prizefight". When wrestlers compete, it's called a meet. One of these things is better for fighting for several reasons.

A wrestler could legit kill someone in a street fight. Clearly you've never wrestled before, but let me tell you, getting slammed hurts like hell, not to mention getting in a position to land GnP is scary as hell.

It is one of the best bases to have in mma due to the damage you can inflict from dominant positions and being able to neutralize your opponent. Seriously, go in a gym and let a solid wrestler go 100% on you and see how long you last.

Mma is essentially fighting. The goal is to incapacitate another person as quickly and hopefully as spectacularly as possible. Bearing in mind that in fighting, in life, or in tournament, or in general, one may possibly have to fight multiple opponents on the same night or multiple opponents in an unfair fight. So how on earth is a discipline which is so boring that the Olympics flirted with cutting it out, so boring that there isn't even a professional version of it for amateurs to Segue in to (that's why hs/ college wrestlers go into mma) considered the best base.
If a boxer unleashes his/ her most damaging move on a person, that person is getting concussed, blacked out, stitches, a broken orbital, or a broken nose, broken rib, etc. all from a single move (punch). If a wrestler unleashes his/ her most damaging move, then CONGRATS, you have your shoulder blades pressed to the ground and you got pinned. Or taken down. Or back points. Or reversed. Wow that sounds damaging and scary. A freaking football tackle has more grounds to be mma worthy than wrestling moves.

Wrestling is not meant for damage. It requires a soft mat to compete in. Striking can be done on any surface. It is meant solely for damage. I get that wrestling is helpful, but how anyone can put it above boxing for fighting purposes is just ignorant and toolish.

If you had to fight an attacker w a weapon and you used wrestling, your probably getting shanked in the back while you attempt your takedown ( but at least you scored two points LOL). If you used striking and movement, the art of hit and don't get hit, you stand a much better chance of not getting hurt while doing your best to disarm the assailant.

This is why when someone goes to watch a boxing match, it's called "watchin The fights" or "going to see a prizefight". When wrestlers compete, it's called a meet. One of these things is better for fighting for several reasons.

Boring doesn't mean shit.

Go start a fight with a wrestler in the street and see how boring it is.

Entitled fucking fans...

A wrestler could legit kill someone in a street fight. Clearly you've never wrestled before, but let me tell you, getting slammed hurts like hell, not to mention getting in a position to land GnP is scary as hell.

It is one of the best bases to have in mma due to the damage you can inflict from dominant positions and being able to neutralize your opponent. Seriously, go in a gym and let a solid wrestler go 100% on you and see how long you last.
This,

You literally can't even begin to throw strikes in the cage unless you have a decent grappling background - that's just a fact.

r7umf6_jpg.gif

If someone suplex you in a street fight, it's all over. It doesn't matter how long you've been honing your stand up.

Because it alows you to either stay on your feet or get the fight to ground ASAP. it will give you a chance

Because the UFC created all of it's rules to tap into the collegiate wrestling demographic which nobody on earth hat yet tapped into for financial gain. They couldn't beat the PRIDE model so they did something new and much less entertaining.

This,

You literally can't even begin to throw strikes in the cage unless you have a decent grappling background - that's just a fact.

r7umf6_jpg.gif
Yea i mean look how little damage was done here by the boring wrestlers. Lmao ts is retarded.
giphy.gif

1zd2m92.jpg

n697yd.jpg

Not all wrestlers are boring, I wrestled with Aljo Sterling in college and let me tell you he did not have one boring match. Funk wrestlers bring the excitment.

5 out of 8 male champions and numerous contenders have a wrestling background.

For the women it's different because fewer women wrestle, yet even then several top 10 fighters at least at BW have a wrestling background - McMann, Zingano, retired Tate, Davis and others who don't have a wrestling background still have observably good wrestling eg. Pena, Nunes (despite being known as a striker), Carmouche.

The proof is in the pudding, Gay Hugging is REAL fighting.

Allows you to dictate where the fight happens, either using offensively or defensively to stay upright.

Beyond the practical implications of wrestling in MMA, I think one of it's biggest upsides is the level of athlete it produces. Wrestling is a very grueling sport that toughens guys up mentally and physically. You're forced to develop great strength and endurance.

You can really tell that the OP was written by someone who has never been in any type of physical one on one competition.

Beyond the practical implications of wrestling in MMA, I think one of it's biggest upsides is the level of athlete it produces. Wrestling is a very grueling sport that toughens guys up mentally and physically. You're forced to develop great strength and endurance.
I've mentioned this before, a wrestling background is always SERIOUS lol. Wrestling isn't really done recreationally, it's always trained for competition so a wrestling background guarantees a "serious" athlete. Obviously other combat sports have serious athletes but not exclusively serious ones, for example you can train kickboxing or BJJ casually and claim a KB/BJJ "base" but a wrestling base is almost certainly FOR REAL (for competition) lol.

What year is this? Grappling/wrestling allow you to control where the fight takes place, which is why they are considered the best bases. However, this single style argument is silly now anyways. You have to be good everywhere at the UFC level or you will eventually get smoked.

Yea i mean look how little damage was done here by the boring wrestlers. Lmao ts is retarded.
giphy.gif

1zd2m92.jpg

n697yd.jpg
RIP EVAN, man that Ortiz slam always reminds me what a beast tito was at 205 watching him toss around a future MW champ like that.

Because everybody can punch, but not everybody are confident on the ground.

Yea bro, wrestlers are no joke. I took TKD for 10 years before I joined an MMA gym. I found out real quick that all that footwork and fancy kicks were useless against skilled wrestlers. I was also a blue belt in BJJ and even that wasn't enough from getting taken down, pinned, or just generally getting roughed up. lol

Slams aren't allowed in high school/ certain other types of wrestling. Slams are actually penalized. A slam is not inherent to wrestling, it is inherent to anyone strong enough to do it and who wants to mess someone up. Gnp is not a wrestling move either, smart one. 'Dominant position' never ko'd someone. Wrestled for three years in hs btw so I'm not a subject expert but I know enough to know its not as effective for ending fights as the striking arts are

Back