Sean Shelby Sucks At His Job

Frank Edgar

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Why is Weidman vs. Gastelum happening? This fight makes no sense.

Why pair up a guy on an impressive winning streak with a guy on a pathetic losing streak? It's a lose/lose situation.

If Gastelum wins, he beat a guy who is on a 3 fight losing streak. Sure, it's a former champion, but people will still doubt him. It would also put Weidman on a 4 fight losing streak, which is cause to consider releasing him even though he would be valuable to Bellator.

If Weidman wins then so what? He beat a blown up welterweight. He still lost 3 fights in a row so he's still not close to a title shot. You just derailed a white hot contender (Gastelum) to give an aging former champ one last chance at a run.

don't worry

WME are even worse

I don't like that matchmaking, but I sure as hell wouldn't say that Shelby is bad at his job. These dudes have a lot of moving parts to put together, and also factor in that it's hard to throw someone not elite at Weidman just to give him a win. I think people would be up in arms if his next opponent was, say, Sam Alvey or Uriah Hall.

I think people would be up in arms if his next opponent was, say, Sam Alvey or Uriah Hall.

Well, Hall did fight twice against the last guy to stop Weidman.

I'm looking forward to seeing Kelvin put another nail in Weidmans coffin

I agree it seems like since Joe Silva left things are going to hell in a hand basket but the Wiedman Kelvin fight I have no comment about because kelvin is going up and Weidman is on a downhill slide for some reason but I like both guys. The match making is all fucked in general is what I meant to say

If Gastelum takes it he'll have a win against one of the best middleweights since the sport began and will make an even stronger case at 185, and if Weidman wins he'll get some breathing room which he desperately needs. I don't see what's wrong with the matchmaking in this.

Weidman may be on a losing streak but he is still very good - all three loses were competitive.
I think this will be a good fight, probably be Weidman's fourth consecutive loss.

Lol at acting like beating Weidman is not a great win.

He got stopped in his last 3 fights but its not like he was outclassed from bell to finish, he's still a top 10 fighter and a former champion.

Why pair up a guy on an impressive winning streak with a guy on a pathetic losing streak? It's a lose/lose situation.

If Gastelum wins, he beat a guy who is on a 3 fight losing streak. Sure, it's a former champion, but people will still doubt him. It would also put Weidman on a 4 fight losing streak, which is cause to consider releasing him even though he would be valuable to Bellator.

If Weidman wins then so what? He beat a blown up welterweight. He still lost 3 fights in a row so he's still not close to a title shot. You just derailed a white hot contender (Gastelum) to give an aging former champ one last chance at a run.

You would be a million times worse.

weird dude
maxresdefault.jpg

I agree TS.

People shit on the matchmaking in Boxing, but at least they know how to create a star.

Yes, just like everyone else, I hate seeing prospects beat up bums to swell their record, but there is an art to it. You have to bring fighters along slowly, or else you have guys being stunted by throwing them into the lion's den.

They are essentially saying to Weidman, fuck you, win or you're done.

Crazy.

If i remember correctly, Sean Shelby doesn't deal with the middleweight division only the lighter weight classes, it's the new matchmaker.

But it's possible that here nobody is happy for one single time? Always bitching about everything.

I like Gastelum but white hot contender? The guy beat up Kennedy coming off two year post USADA lay off and a former shell of himself Vitor Belfort.

Weidman (who beat a better version of Vitor in the not to distant past) is coming off losses to Rockhold, Romero and Mousasi: the cream of the crop of the division.

This is a step up in competition for Gastelum and a step down for Weidman. This isn't poor match making.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back