Aesthetics are overrated.

BigMuffler

Loli is love loli is life!
@Steel
Reaction score
This relates in part to Gus being hated on by some for running away, but also to other things like fans who bash on grapplers for grappling or some moron saying that Tate was a "terrible, terrible fighter" in spite of her accomplishments no doubt because she "looked bad" to him.

In fighting the goal is to win, not to "look good" during the fight. Tactics that increase the fighter's chances to win by helping them play to their strengths (such as Gus running to get back in position to fight at range or Maia focusing on taking the fight to the ground) are ideal tactics to use regardless of whether or not they please the eyes of a particular fan. It's far smarter and should be more admired to use "unaesthetic" but effective tactics than to abandon whole parts of one's game which might be viewed as less aesthetic eg. Diego choosing to brawl all the time even though his grappling was one of his biggest strengths or any other grappler who fell victim to a similar mentality. By the same token the resume of a fighter is a much better thing to judge their ability by than the "eye test" because the eye test of most fans measures how aesthetic a fighter is in their eyes moreso than it measures "skill".

Effective fighting>aesthetic fighting. Real MMA fans should be able to appreciate a variety of styles some of which might involve tactics that might not be as eye pleasing, and not act like those tactics are somehow less valid as long as they are effective.

Effective fighting is REAL fighting. ;)

Fighters fight.

Runners run.

Not that complicated to understand.

Fighters fight.

Runners run.

Running is a tactic for smart fighters who have a speed and range advantage, but probably a power disadvantage (in this case) to fight the type of fight where they have the upper hand.

Smart fighting is real fighting.

Unspoken rule of sportsmanship, don't exploit easymode tactics.

Stopped reading at the foolish assertion that grappling is somehow similar to running like a bitch.

Also most of these guys are hypocrites because Im sure a good % of them shit on Mayweather (who wasn't really a runner like say Sharmba Mitchell) back in the day but when Gus does it its masterful and smart. If you don't like guys who move don't make exceptions for your heroes if they use the same tactics too...be consistent Sherdog!

Unspoken rule of sportsmanship, don't exploit easymode tactics.

So better to stand (in the pocket like a MAN) and bang and get KTFO, awesome idea.

Also most of these guys are hypocrites because Im sure a good % of them shit on Mayweather (who wasn't really a runner like say Sharmba Mitchell) back in the day but when Gus does it its masterful and smart. If you don't like guys who move don't make exceptions for your heroes if they use the same tactics too...be consistent Sherdog!

I'm not even a Gus fan (or wasn't before this at least), you can find posts of mine where I said I hope Glover wins.

The level of bias towards aesthetics among the MMA fanbase (made up of shallow 8 year olds) is just retarded.

Running is a good tatic when you are out power head to head, you get to fight at your angle and range. Its a reset tatic, Sometime you can bait overzealous pursuer into a hard strike.

Its a normal tactic in my eyes. Not like kalib starnes kind of running.

Depends on what you call running. If a striker runs back to the centre of the cage in order to keep the fight where he wants it then I see no problem. Inactivity is what I don't like to see. A striker trying to keep his distance is no different than a grappler or an in fighter trying to close the distance.

If it's effective, do it. The main objective of fighting is to win.

Running is a tactic for smart fighters who have a speed and range advantage, but probably a power disadvantage (in this case) to fight the type of fight where they have the upper hand.

Smart fighting is real fighting.
Leave the "smart fighting" in the gym so you don't hurt yourself (or others) in training camp right before the fight, everyone needs to make a living. But when it's time to fight, you lay it all out on the line and try to put the other person away, entertain the fans, earn some fans, build your brand, grow your stock, etc.

Smart fighting is sparring, not real fighting.

Leave the "smart fighting" in the gym so you don't hurt yourself (or others) in training camp right before the fight, everyone needs to make a living. But when it's time to fight, you lay it all out on the line and try to put the other person away, entertain the fans, earn some fans, build your brand, grow your stock, etc.

Smart fighting is sparring, not real fighting.
Gus knocked Glover out though.

I guess to you real fighting is standing in the pocket and getting KTFO!

Fighters fight.

Runners run.

But in this case the runner knocked out the fighter and you can never argue a ko. That's not to complicated to understand either.:p

But internet peoples told me that LHW, pro MMA fighter is a pussy

But in this case the runner knocked out the fighter and you can never argue a ko. That's not to complicated to understand either.:p
ZLWpKyx.gif

Animation8888.gif

When the runner stopped running, that's when the runner knocked out the fighter, the runner didn't knock Glover out while running. It was AFTER the runner stopped running and decided to fight. That's not too complicated to understand.

Last edited:
This relates in part to Gus being hated on by some for running away, but also to other things like fans who bash on grapplers for grappling or some moron saying that Tate was a "terrible, terrible fighter" in spite of her accomplishments no doubt because she "looked bad" to him.

In fighting the goal is to win, not to "look good" during the fight. Tactics that increase the fighter's chances to win by helping them play to their strengths (such as Gus running to get back in position to fight at range or Maia focusing on taking the fight to the ground) are ideal tactics to use regardless of whether or not they please the eyes of a particular fan. It's far smarter and should be more admired to use "unaesthetic" but effective tactics than to abandon whole parts of one's game which might be viewed as less aesthetic eg. Diego choosing to brawl all the time even though his grappling was one of his biggest strengths or any other grappler who fell victim to a similar mentality. By the same token the resume of a fighter is a much better thing to judge their ability by than the "eye test" because the eye test of most fans measures how aesthetic a fighter is in their eyes moreso than it measures "skill".

Effective fighting>aesthetic fighting. Real MMA fans should be able to appreciate a variety of styles some of which might involve tactics that might not be as eye pleasing, and not act like those tactics are somehow less valid as long as they are effective.

Effective fighting is REAL fighting. ;)
Playing it safe may seem cowardly, but they're fighters. They've already done enough to prove they're not pussies.

Agreed. The goal of fighting is to win. Whether that means Lay and Pray or flashy KO, do whatever works for you.

That said, I hate point fighting. I miss the old vale tudo system of finish only.

Floyd stood right in front of guys, they just couldn't hit him.

I think as far as defense goes, running is simply a poor tool in which to avoid a power or speed advantage, as opposed to using the ring/cage to avoid through angles, while attempting to clinch, takedown etc. Running takes up more energy than simply assuring position before offense is attempted.

Real skilled strikers can remain in the pocket, maintain a perfect distance where their percentages are heavily shaded. Running requires disengagement followed by the tactical need to establish range all over again, and again, and again.

Back