Gus' footwork looked terrible! Hasn't fixed any of the old flaws.

Cicero

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Gus has not corrected any of the flaws in his movement. All the holes in his game were on full display.

1. Turning back and running - the problem with this is that you are in no position to counter and are completely blind to opponent's attacks. You are relying solely on your running speed to save you. Against old and slow Glover this worked, but Gus is just begging to have his back taken by Cormier or smashed in the head by Jones.

2. Crossing legs - anytime you have your legs crossed you are unable to counter and will stumble around if hit. Gus kept striding around Glover like a galloping fool.

3. Looking at the floor. - Anytime Gus got pressured he would duck down, looking at floor with no way to see follow up attacks, practically begging for an uppercut.

4. Moving straight back when attacked- Gus is still unable to side step or pivot around an opponent and just back pedals until the cage hits his back. This forces him to make huge circles around the cage to avoid attacks, making him spend much more energy than his opponent.

Despite his ugly footwork, Gus won simply because of superior reach and because Glover was too slow. I saw nothing that would make me think Gus can win a title.

It's shocking how he hasn't corrected his footwork after all this time. Either Cormier or Jones defeats him again.

Last edited:
I mentioned this in another thread. Yesterday's fight said more about where Glover is in his career than about Gus's supposed revival.

I mentioned this in another thread. Yesterday's fight said more about where Glover is in his career than about Gus's supposed revival.

Agree wholeheartedly. I am a fan of Gus and wanted him to him. Just very shocked at the amateurish footwork and incredibly sloppy defense. Gus seriously needs a change of camps.

3f2.gif

peter-dance-lalala.gif

Who cares, Gus is still lightyears ahead of Snowball King in the striking department

I thought he looked great

<Fedor23>

Gus dominated and knocked out the 2# contender while taking almost no damage. Haters gonna hate.

His footwork?! You freakin idiot. His footwork?! You dumbass.
His footwork?! Did you see the results of the fight?!

I totally agree.
I'm a Gus fan but he does get pushed straight back into the cage way too often.
He was pushed back and forced to run about ~30 times in the Glover fight.

I'm not complaining about running being ugly. I'm saying it's a tactic that might not work forever.
The first match you run away from a opponent might be surprised by it.
But when rematching Jones and DC I'm sure they will train speficially for how to counter a running opponent.

I wish Alex could circle more effectively, and get away by feinting and sidestepping, pushing away, clinching or threatening with hard counters.
Didn't read LOL
Please stop polluting threads with this nonsense.
If the first post is a giant mess of inchoherent ramblings it's okay to mock it.
This wasn't one of those threads.

If the thread is not insanely dumb, just leave it quietly if you can't contribute.

Last edited:
Yep TS I agree. Yesterday's fight was more about Gus's natural length vs the speed of Glover. A 32 year old Glover would have wrecked him within 10 minutes.

Not hating on Gus but they're glaring holes in his game.

Who cares, Gus is still lightyears ahead of Snowball King in the striking department
Who? DC already outboxed him.

His footwork is more effective than the rest of the division

Yeah. Imagine a gus with simple but solid footwork, and good clinch.

That would be a monster.

He got the perfect build to become good in the clinch. He just need confidence enough to fight in that range.

Gus dominated and knocked out the 2# contender while taking almost no damage. Haters gonna hate.

Gus dominated because he was faster, had better reach, and was stronger. He won because of physical advantages. His skill, particularly his movement and defense, continue to have gaping holes.

Gus has not corrected any of the flaws in his movement. All the holes in his game were on full display.

1. Turning back and running - the problem with this is that you are in no position to counter and are completely blind to opponent's attacks. You are relying solely on your running speed to save you. Against old and slow Glover this worked, but Gus is just begging to have his back taken by Cormier or smashed in the head by Jones.

2. Crossing legs - anytime you have your legs crossed you are unable to counter and will stumble around if hit. Gus kept striding around Glover like a galloping fool.

3. Looking at the floor. - Anytime Gus got pressured he would duck down, looking at floor with no way to see follow up attacks, practically begging for an uppercut.

4. Moving straight back when attacked- Gus is still unable to side step or pivot around an opponent and just back pedals until the cage hits his back. This forces him to make huge circles around the cage to avoid attacks, making him spend much more energy than his opponent.

Despite his ugly footwork, Gus won simply because of superior reach and because Glover was too slow. I saw nothing that would make me think Gus can win a title.

It's shocking how he hasn't corrected his footwork after all this time. Either Cormier or Jones defeats him again.
Agreed but you'll take heat for this post.

He looked good against an old, slow and diminished opponent - Against Daniel he might be in trouble and I'm not sure how Jon will look Post USADA but it could be disaster as well.

I thought he looked great, but let's be objective for a moment. Gus seems to get a pass for blatantly turning his back against an opponent and going for a short jog. Same with his eye pokes.

Yeah. Imagine a gus with simple but solid footwork, and good clinch.

That would be a monster.

He got the perfect build to become good in the clinch. He just need confidence enough to fight in that range.
Agree. Gus needs a change of camp. He is athletic and coordinated. There's no way he could fail to learn footwork if he were being taught properly.

His footwork?! You freakin idiot. His footwork?! You dumbass.
His footwork?! Did you see the results of the fight?!

Results aren't everything.

If he doesn't change what caused him to lose to the elites, who cares what he did to Glover?

We already know that Gus can get a title shot and beat lower ranked guys. He's been doing that his whole career. The real question is has he evolved as a fighter enough to where he can beat the guys he's lost to before.

The question is whether he can beat the top guys like DC, Rumble and Jones, not whether he can beat the rest of the top 10.

I thought he looked great, but let's be objective for a moment. Gus seems to get a pass for blatantly turning his back against an opponent and going for a short jog. Same with his eye pokes.
He got a pass just because Glover was too slow to exploit it. He is going to be punished for it by Jones or Cormier.

Agree. Gus needs a change of camp. He is athletic and coordinated. There's no way he could fail to learn footwork if he were being taught properly.
it'd be good if he actually learned real western boxing instead of the mma kickboxing they have him doing. Jones boxing is garbage tho.

Back