Holloway / Edgar

Dogo1

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm a fan of both so this isn't a knock against Max, but how has he gotten so far at 145 and never faced Frankie?

Frankie is consensus #2.
But at that time, he had just lost to Aldo and as such, it made no sense to have Frankie fight for an Intetim belt.

Now Frankie is the next in line (if Holloway wins), so they should rectify that (IF Holloway wins, which is a big IF) :)

What would be the point of Edgar vs Holloway? It is a no-win situation for the UFC. If Edgar wins, he is not going to get a third shot at Aldo and you would have wasted Holloway's potential. If Holloway wins, it would make Edgar irrelevant in the division and relegate him to gatekeeper status. So you bypass that fight, get Holloway to fight Aldo and if Holloway wins, you've got a fresh/exciting matchup between the two but if Aldo wins, you pit Holloway against Edgar, anyway, to fight for the "true" number two spot and make them earn their way back up.

Last edited:
I honestly think as far as styles - Frankie is a worse fight for Max.

Aldo and Max match up good. I'm pulling for Jose but I would not be surprised if Max takes that fight in a few weeks.

I honestly think as far as styles - Frankie is a worse fight for Max.

Aldo and Max match up good. I'm pulling for Jose but I would not be surprised if Max takes that fight in a few weeks.
it's in 6 days

The UFC wants Max to fight Aldo and Frankie would probably put the kibosh on that matchup. I think Frankie is able to put a lot more pressure on Max than LLamas was able to and I wouldn't be surprised if he can keep him down for a good portion of the fight. Max and Aldo is a fresh fight and he has a lot of momentum, theres no point in spoiling it

I think Max would win by decision at this point of their careers

I'm a fan of both so this isn't a knock against Max, but how has he gotten so far at 145 and never faced Frankie?

Because they need new faces at #1 Contender, and Frankie #EATS Contenders.

Same reason they NEVER fed Connie to The Answer and gave him Denis Siver instead.

Frankie would maul fuck him to death. I don't think Max has the wrestling

I don't think conor beats Frankie either, his only concern is also period

Because they need new faces at #1 Contender, and Frankie #EATS Contenders.

Same reason they NEVER fed Connie to The Answer and gave him Denis Siver instead.
You say this but when Aldo fought Edgar, that was supposed to entice McGregor into a title defense/rematch but Aldo cruised and made Edgar look like an amateur. It was a bad fight for both, even though Aldo won. Edgar looked like a little kid getting slapped down by his older brother.

Frankie is consensus #2.
But at that time, he had just lost to Aldo and as such, it made no sense to have Frankie fight for an Intetim belt.

Now Frankie is the next in line (if Holloway wins), so they should rectify that (IF Holloway wins, which is a big IF) :)
I would rather see Aldo fight Artem than Edgar or Swanson again.

What would be the point of Edgar vs Holloway? It is a no-win situation for the UFC. If Edgar wins, he is not going to get a third shot at Aldo and you would have wasted Holloway's potential. If Holloway wins, it would make Edgar irrelevant in the division and relegate him to gatekeeper status. So you bypass that fight, get Holloway to fight Aldo and if Holloway wins, you've got a fresh/exciting matchup between the two but if Aldo wins, you pit Holloway against Edgar, anyway, to fight for the "true" number two spot and make them earn their way back up.

Frankie is #2 behind Jose.

Frankie would beat everyone at 145 that is not named Jose Aldo. At least for now, everyone slows down/gets stopped at some point. For now though, Frankie is #2.

He faced a bunch of other challengers instead.

Edgar is just another contender. Contenders don't have to beat absolutely everyone in the division to get a title shot. You're asking how Holloway got a title shot without beating Edgar, you could by the same token ask how Edgar got a title shot without beating Holloway. And that second question is probably the more relevant one considering that Holloway has beaten two fighters currently in the top five, which is one more than Edgar has.

If Edgar wants another title shot. He better hope Holloway wins. Then we will get this match-up.

Back