UFC fighters should not continue fighting after a serious eye poke

defcon5

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The fight is ruled a no contest

You are placing yourself at serious risk with impaired vision

Dana claimed years ago they were going fix this nonsense and nothing happened! Fighters are still breaking hands with the shity gloves and fighters are still being eyepoked

If Dana approaches you after the fight and complains. What you should do is poke him directly in the eye so he has a frame of reference.

What's really strange is Everlast designed a glove for Bellator it works. Far fewer broken hands and eyepokes. Coker even said they don't care if the UFC uses them and still the UFC uses the crap gloves!

Or you need to GIT GUD!

Seriously though it is the referees fault.Like him or not Big John knows how to deal with eye pokes!

You are placing yourself at serious risk with impaired vision

I think as long as you leave it up to the fighter, it's foreseeable that many of them will look to fight through it. Matt Mitrione probably suffered the worst poke I've seen in a fight and he still chose to continue.
I share your concern for fighter safety but I'd bet there will be disgruntled audiences if fighters are prevented from taking this risk.

If fighters know there are repercussions for eye pokes (which there should be if refs enforce the rules) then they will make more effort to stop doing it.
But then again just one eye poke can have a big difference in a fight and that would probably only get the fighter a warning. So I think the way forward is for the UFC to redesign the gloves so the fingers aren't exposed.

Back