Gus has to stop turning his back and running.

Scyther

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Turning your back on your opponent is a good way to get KTFO. Tonight he was called one of the best strikers in the division when he's literally turning his back on his opponent and running full sprint to the center of the octagon. That's below amateur level fighting. Random noobs who've never fought before know not to turn your back on your opponent where you literally can't see where the punches are coming from and run.

Mark my words if Gus keeps doing this someone's going to catch him turning his back, time it, and knock him clean out. Glover has no kicking game but someone like Jones could catch him clean with a kick. And even Glover in the later rounds caught Gus with some good shots when he turned his back and ran.

It amazes me the commentators didn't bring it up.

EDIT: Just one example of why shouldn't turn your back on your opponent.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Totally understand why he does it but it's annoying to watch in the long run, yes.

It's absolutely annoying to watch. I can understand why people do it, but it just looks soooo bad. There's gotta be a better looking way to achieve the same result - gallop sideways, dash backwards really quick like in Injustice 2, etc.

Until he loses because of it he doesn't need to do shiiiiiit.

OzuYWTm.gif

I don't get why people get so upset over it: Conor did it with Diaz, Jones did it with Rampage, Overeem does it frequently, Condit did it with Diaz and that's just at the top of my head. It's just a way to escape people use.

Gus seems to have made it his favorite technique, maybe that's why.

I don't see any faults in it, if that's how they're comfortable resetting let them be. If they get KO'd they were asking for it.

I don't get why people get so upset over it: Conor did it with Diaz, Jones did it with Rampage, Overeem does it frequently, Condit did it with Diaz and that's just at the top of my head. It's just a way to escape people use.

Gus seems to have made it his favorite technique, maybe that's why.

I don't see any faults in it, if that's how they're comfortable resetting let them be. If they get KO'd they were asking for it.

People don't like it because running away during a fight looks really bad. But it's effective against certain opponents who are flat footed and don't take advantage of it so it's a smart strategy, thus people will use it.

Know what looks amateur? MMA fighters who claim to have great boxing but can't defend against uppercuts.

I can see why you would do it a couple times, but he over did it tonight IMO. Plenty of times he could have used head movement and circled out but instead he chose to turn his back completely and run while ducking his head.

I just chalked it up to him not wanting to get KO'd by another heavy hitter in his hometown again. Which is understandable, especially with his proposal plans for after the fight. Would have been awkward to get up off the mat after being knocked out stiff and get down to one knee all wobbly and propose to your GF haha

I dont care that he "runs"..

but to me.. that seems to be a weakness.. thats gonna come back to haunt him one day..

maybe hes so tall that thats the best defensive maneuver he can pull.. but if he faces someone like.. say .. aj again.. it would be the same result.

hes gotta find a different way to escape or defend himself

Being a pro fighter and running away in a fight is embarassing. Running away is not a tactic, it's a sign of cowardice

Turning your back on your opponent is a good way to get KTFO. Tonight he was called one of the best strikers in the division when he's literally turning his back on his opponent and running full sprint to the center of the octagon. That's below amateur level fighting. Random noobs who've never fought before know not to turn your back on your opponent where you literally can't see where the punches are coming from and run.

Mark my words if Gus keeps doing this someone's going to catch him turning his back, time it, and knock him clean out. Glover has no kicking game but someone like Jones could catch him clean with a kick. And even Glover in the later rounds caught Gus with some good shots when he turned his back and ran.

It amazes me the commentators didn't bring it up.
Yep..Absolutely.. IMO..maybe a Penalty for turning the back and RUNNING. If you can''t turn the corner ,side step and circle somehow then TOUGH SHIT. Running that far away imo is WRONG. IT SHOULD BE PENALIZED.

Until he loses because of it he doesn't need to do shiiiiiit.

Isn't he looking to fight the winner of Jones-Cormier? Do you think either of them will let him get away with that?

If an opponent constantly runs from you when you've pinned them near the cage, it means you rely too much on your boxing & have to constantly close distance. Try running away from someone like Rockhold, he'll either set up a kick or take your back as you turn away.

Know what looks amateur? MMA fighters who claim to have great boxing but can't defend against uppercuts.
Kudos to Gus. That said, Glover was imo simply Out Coached. Glove has a heck of a chin. IF he would of landed ONE shot it might of been over. He didn't obviously. The Uppercuts he got hit by were NOT EVEN SEEN COMING. The last time..3 TIMES IN A ROW. Sheeeeeeesh . Good research by Gus's coach's. Great Game Plan. Glover GET A BETTER COACH ,TACTICIAN. You deserve better.

Back