Why didn't they give Glover 5 minutes after the Eye Poke?

Turkleton

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
In the 1st round Glover got poked in the eye but the referee and the doctor were both rushing him back in to fight without giving him 5 minutes to rest like it's usually done after a groin shot or eye poke.

Glover even said to the doctor he can't see out of the right eye but they just asked him if he wants to fight or no.

what was up with that? isn't it a mandatory rule to give a fighter 5 minutes time after a foul?

I don't think the ref saw the actual eye poke.

1. If a contest of mixed martial arts is stopped because of an accidental foul, the referee shall determine whether the unarmed combatant who has been fouled can continue or not. If the unarmed combatant's chance of winning has not been seriously jeopardized as a result of the foul and if the foul did not involve a concussive impact to the head of the unarmed combatant who has been fouled, the referee may order the contest or exhibition continued after a recuperative interval of not more than 5 minutes. Immediately after separating the unarmed combatants, the referee shall inform the Commission's representative of his determination that the foul was accidental.
I think this is the one and it doesn't look mandatory.

I thought it was some Swedish MMA Federation ruling, but it's only a groin strike they give a fighter 5 minutes to recover from.

What seemed messed up last night, is the Doctor hardly checked Teixeira's eye - never mind bringing out the scope, and it clearly had an affect on his vision. It felt like they were putting him on the spot there and then to give them a 'yes' or 'no' answer if he could fight on.

So is there some precedent for implementing this like Goddard did? I don't recall another fight that has been paused after an eye poke where the fighter was rushed back into the fray. What exactly does it mean that the doctor made call there was no injury? Teixeira was clearly hurt and impaired. Does he have to have permanent damage before they'll say he's been injured?

Expect the groin strike?

Oh boy!

I also thought reaching with open hands is now a foul.

At least he warned Gus after round 1 and it got better but the damage was done. Could have handled it better.

Because he is a MAN and since he was ready to continue,he did just that!

Big John said the ref and ring physician(?) have up to 5 min to determine if fighter can continue, so why did the ref rush Glover and not give him even a few minutes for his eye to get back to normal?

He also says some states allow Gatorade. Interesting.

Every time after one of these eye pokes, I want to see him come back and deliver an "accidental" groin strike to the other guy to level the playing field

And inside leg kick a tad too high from Glover there would have given him the recovery time he needed

Back