Why is mma the only sport where mAking money is frowned upon?

king of theRing

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You hear people talk all the time that they shouldn't worried about getting paid, but fighting the best. Yet the sport is no where even big to be thinking like that. And realistically no one does more for less..

You hear people talk all the time that they shouldn't worried about getting paid

Wait, what?

Pretty much all the fighters and fans all agree that these guys deserve more money and how badly they are getting screwed over financially.

Honestly I don't think that making money is frowned upon but it's more how you go about doing it in the sport. For example, if you are slotted to fight the number 1 contender and disregard that for a less relevant fight that's worth more money, it will be frowned upon because it goes against what MMA was founded on. I am all for fighters doing movies and whatever they can for exposure to get more money, but I hate people that call for money fights because they think they deserve it or it's somehow relevant.

The sport wasn't founded on who could make the most money (as I'm more than sure the same could be said for any other sport), but rather who is the best. That being said, if fighters were paid more, I'm sure we would never hear or witness people reaching for money fights.

TL DR: Money fights are corrupt.

tldr-14396.gif

Beat you all to it.

Last edited:
Because either this board is filled to the brim with UFC shills, or people have a sense a envy towards these people similar to high school girls hating the ones they deem "sluts".

You hear people talk all the time that they shouldn't worried about getting paid, but fighting the best. Yet the sport is no where even big to be thinking like that. And realistically no one does more for less..

Cause it's the only sport whose fans are dumb enough to support the owner/promoter over the athlete.

Wait, what?

Pretty much all the fighters and fans all agree that these guys deserve more money and how badly they are getting screwed over financially.

well Ben askren turned down UFC lowest contract offer for more money in Asia and people shit on him for it.

Because either this board is filled to the brim with UFC shills, or people have a sense a envy towards these people similar to high school girls hating the ones they deem "sluts".

I have no doubt the UFC has an internet social media boiler room dedicated to infiltrating mma forums etc. This forum especially.

I know a lot of pussies and duckers that went to MLS to duck Arsenal. Made some excuse about making more money. No real competitor would go after the money. They would want to play and beat the best. It is a disgrace.

well Ben askren turned down UFC lowest contract offer for more money in Asia and people shit on him for it.
yes and no. His contract might have been higher elsewhere, but if he came to the UFC, and won the title, and defended it, he would have made way more money than he made defending his title in the D leagues. But, if he knew he was going to lose once he came to the UFC, getting that 6 figure contract in the lower level was the right choice.

Op is a fucking idiot.

Hockey forced to play the best teams in the playoffs

Football same

Basketball same

Baseball

Soccer...

Wait I'm seeing a trend! Oh that's right! Every other fucking sport has the athletes forced to face the best comp regardless of paycheck.

Mma, boxing? You get to avoid them and just go for money fights cause reasons.

How guys go about it maybe irks some people. The only people really against it in principle are Dana White and his stooges (and those they represent).

Dana hates Askren! i have no doubt Askren would have never stopped ridiculing the pay in the UFC if he was signed by them. So what Dana did is low ball him on the contract.

smart business move by Dana

yes and no. His contract might have been higher elsewhere, but if he came to the UFC, and won the title, and defended it, he would have made way more money than he made defending his title in the D leagues. But, if he knew he was going to lose once he came to the UFC, getting that 6 figure contract in the lower level was the right choice.

Now this is where I have a problem. He fought all those fights in the beginning to get the money he was getting in the end to bellator. Now you go to the supposed big leAgues, and have to start all over Again? Where does thAt mAke My dAmn sense to anyone?

That's why mamed never cAme to UFC cAuse he is used to good money, and even though I'm sure he wanted to hAve better competition, I'm sure going backwards didn't make any sense.

That's like going from a nobody in the office to a CEO, but paid less. Yeah I'm good

Is pretty funny. You have baseball players making 4 million a year on average and no one bitches but a UFC fighter asks for 150k and its like woah

I know a lot of pussies and duckers that went to MLS to duck Arsenal. Made some excuse about making more money. No real competitor would go after the money. They would want to play and beat the best. It is a disgrace.

You're obviously joking cause serious people understand that athletes only have about 10 years at most to make serious money, so no one can complain if they choose the best offer, no matter where it comes from.

Is pretty funny. You have baseball players making 4 million a year on average and no one bitches but a UFC fighter asks for 150k and its like woah

And a baseball player's career is a lot longer, they get a pension, and don't get cut after a few bad games.

Because MMA is the only sport where the "players" will openly admit that that's what they're doing it for.

The promoters should not be taking that much money.

Fighters need to make a union. Simple as that.

They aren't making one though. Only a couple of half assed attempts.

Random Sherdog posters can't help them.

It's really up to the fighters...

I'm not against fighters making more money but for me like in all the other sports....if you don't make enough money it's on you to change team/organisation or get another job!

Back